Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:09 pm 

Today we publish an interim statement of our conclusions on the key issues raised in the consultation paper, together with the responses we received.

One conclusion that will be of particular interest to many readers of TDO is that we have changed our minds on quantity restrictions. We will be recommending that licensing authorities should continue to have the right to limit numbers of taxis (hackneys).

The responses we are publishing include redacted versions of responses sent directly, and statistics from surveys and petitions carried out by other individuals and organisations. Overall we received over 3000 responses. We are grateful to everyone who contributed to the consultation.

The interim statement indicates the policy decisions we have reached so far on key issues. This is not the final report or draft Bill – these will not be completed until the end of this year. It is also not a further consultation – it is purely for your information and we are not inviting responses to it. It is intended solely to give interested groups and individuals an indication of our position on the main questions which have raised concern. It is not our usual practice to produce such a document – it has been done in recognition of the fact that a longer waiting period would increase anxiety amongst our stakeholders.

It should be stressed that we will continue working on developing policy alongside Parliamentary counsel (who will be drafting our Bill in accordance with our policy decisions) until the end of this year. It is important to be aware that our final recommendations might differ as a result of that process from those set out in the interim statement.

The interim statement and consultation responses can be viewed on our website at http://lawcommission.justice.gov.uk/are ... rvices.htm.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:15 pm 

RPLawCommission wrote:
Today we publish an interim statement of our conclusions on the key issues raised in the consultation paper, together with the responses we received.

One conclusion that will be of particular interest to many readers of TDO is that we have changed our minds on quantity restrictions. We will be recommending that licensing authorities should continue to have the right to limit numbers of taxis (hackneys).

The responses we are publishing include redacted versions of responses sent directly, and statistics from surveys and petitions carried out by other individuals and organisations. Overall we received over 3000 responses. We are grateful to everyone who contributed to the consultation.

The interim statement indicates the policy decisions we have reached so far on key issues. This is not the final report or draft Bill – these will not be completed until the end of this year. It is also not a further consultation – it is purely for your information and we are not inviting responses to it. It is intended solely to give interested groups and individuals an indication of our position on the main questions which have raised concern. It is not our usual practice to produce such a document – it has been done in recognition of the fact that a longer waiting period would increase anxiety amongst our stakeholders.

It should be stressed that we will continue working on developing policy alongside Parliamentary counsel (who will be drafting our Bill in accordance with our policy decisions) until the end of this year. It is important to be aware that our final recommendations might differ as a result of that process from those set out in the interim statement.

The interim statement and consultation responses can be viewed on our website at http://lawcommission.justice.gov.uk/are ... rvices.htm.

:D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:20 pm 

RPLawCommission wrote:

Well you don't need to worry about anything else then.

The Taxi Trade in restricted areas are concerned with one thing, and you have just granted them their wish.

Many from those areas will be very happy tonight.

But from my view you are a bunch of gutless *****. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:24 pm 

Sussex wrote:
RPLawCommission wrote:

Well you don't need to worry about anything else then.

The Taxi Trade in restricted areas are concerned with one thing, and you have just granted them their wish.

Many from those areas will be very happy tonight.

But from my view you are a bunch of gutless *****. :shock:

Poor little Sussex did you not get what you want ? Im as interested in your view as ......... not.Gutless ? from the man who gets a plate for free to sell straight away :lol: W anke r

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:28 pm 

The number of responses is quite incredible - hats off to whoever had to wade through that stuff :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:30 pm 

blackpool wrote:
Poor little Sussex did you not get what you want ? Im as interested in your view as ......... not.Gutless ? from the man who gets a plate for free to sell straight away :lol: W anke r

What I want is irrelevant, but debate the issues please not the person. You may think this is all one big game, but many don't.

I gave an opinion based on what I think the LC are, you clearly disagree.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:33 pm 

I would be very interested to see how demand for taxis are going to be assessed, as the LC rubbished the current system.

Or maybe the plan is to just allow councils to restrict, and have no SUD system.

TBH I would rather that then keep paying silly money for silly surveys.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:36 pm 

I must admit I am a little shocked - I am quite pleased for the wedding car brigade - but I always saw that as an area where the LC would find it difficult to persuade towards the need for licensing - especially in view of their previous statements on national standards.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:41 pm 

blackpool wrote:
RPLawCommission wrote:

:D :D :D :D

It seems a small victory when faced with this

Quote:
It would remain the case that taxis would only be allowed to pick up passengers in their own area (unless they had a pre-booking). However, we will recommend freeing up cross-border working for private hire services. Operators would no longer
be limited to using drivers and vehicles from their own area; nor would they be restricted to only inviting or accepting bookings within that same licensing area. Under no circumstances would a private hire vehicle be allowed to pick up a
passenger without a pre-booking with a valid operator.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:43 pm 

I think the LC have also bottled it in respect of the Wedding and Funeral car issue.

Why should brides and dead people's family not be afforded the same safety requirements as pi** heads on a Saturday night?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:44 pm 

Sussex wrote:
blackpool wrote:

What I want is irrelevant, but debate the issues please not the person. You may think this is all one big game, but many don't.

I gave an opinion based on what I think the LC are, you clearly disagree.

Sussex you want to give but you cant take ? You said the gutless........,Get over it you didnt get what you wanted.The issue is restriction set by the council happens to work here wether you agree or not.Pretty good couple of days in my book Thatcher gone and LC see sense :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:46 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I think the LC have also bottled it in respect of the Wedding and Funeral car issue.

Why should brides and dead people's family not be afforded the same safety requirements as pi** heads on a Saturday night?

I don't think they have - I cant think of a single instance of any wedding or funeral driver raping a passenger since 1976.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:55 pm 

toots wrote:

Quote:
It would remain the case that taxis would only be allowed to pick up passengers in their own area (unless they had a pre-booking). However, we will recommend freeing up cross-border working for private hire services. Operators would no longer
be limited to using drivers and vehicles from their own area; nor would they be restricted to only inviting or accepting bookings within that same licensing area. Under no circumstances would a private hire vehicle be allowed to pick up a

Maybe - but maybe they looked at a place like Manchester where it takes 5 months to get a PH license - then figured if the rules are the same for PH across the country then folks wouldn't need to travel around looking for easier alternatives?

I wonder if they will attempt to put into law what the Judge in Berwick recommended - the ability to refuse a HC license if the vehicle is to be worked remotely from the district?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:02 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

Quote:

Maybe - but maybe they looked at a place like Manchester where it takes 5 months to get a PH license - then figured if the rules are the same for PH across the country then folks wouldn't need to travel around looking for easier alternatives?

I wonder if they will attempt to put into law what the Judge in Berwick recommended - the ability to refuse a HC license if the vehicle is to be worked remotely from the district?

Oh well at least now it won't take a few months before they can flood the streets of Manchester with the ph vehicles, it seems to me that the taxis will be swamped out of existence but not to worry because it's only private hire after all. From an operator point of view there are no limits, operators can now reduce costs to drivers and 'employ' 10 times the drivers they do now, it makes life a whole lot easier for operators.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:10 pm 

toots wrote:

Oh well at least now it won't take a few months before they can flood the streets of Manchester with the ph vehicles, it seems to me that the taxis will be swamped out of existence but not to worry because it's only private hire after all. From an operator point of view there are no limits, operators can now reduce costs to drivers and 'employ' 10 times the drivers they do now, it makes life a whole lot easier for operators.

But they're already flooding the streets of Manchester - its just Manchester cannot do proper enforcement.

From an operators point of view there has never been any limits - and if councils only have knowledge tests in place to limit then the councils are wrong.

Most of this mess has been created by councils bringing in over burdensome regulations on PH - and that was never the intent of what is PH - most regulations on PH are at the behest of thicko taxi trade reps, who want all the same barriers for PH as HC - but not with the privilege of plying for hire.

If PH want standards they should be customer driven and operator driven - not regulated by a daft local authority who should only be responsible for the fitness and propriety of the person licensed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next