Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:05 am 

Taxi licensing law shake-up under fire

York Central MP Hugh Bayley, left, and Coun Barbara Boyce talk with taxi driver Jim Kerr on the rank at the railway stationYork Central MP Hugh Bayley, left, and Coun Barbara Boyce talk with taxi driver Jim Kerr on the rank at the railway station

A SHAKE-UP of licensing laws could lead to York having more taxis than its ranks can handle and put passengers at risk, drivers and local politicians have warned.

The Law Commission is considering plans to “deregulate” the taxi industry by combining rules covering hackney carriages and private hire vehicles and replacing local licensing arrangements with a UK-wide approach, despite a Government select committee advising against this.

Hundreds of taxi drivers lobbied Parliament against the proposals this month, with the commission’s final recommendations expected in December.

Unite member York hackney carriage driver Jim Kerr joined the union-organised protest and has met York Central MP Hugh Bayley to discuss the impact of the plans on the city.

“We believe adopting the Law Commission report, as it stands, would affect the livelihoods of those currently in the trade and to service and safety standards,” he said.

“We don’t deny some updating of taxi laws is well overdue, but we want to convince Parliament not to adopt the Law Commission report and instead look at the more realistic report on the trade by the Government’s own transport select committee.”

Mr Kerr said deregulation would mean too many York taxis fighting for fares, saying: “No business can stock up simply to deal with pressure times, and it is the same with taxis.”

York has 183 hackney carriages, with 196 people on a waiting list for licences.

Coun Barbara Boyce, who chairs City of York Council’s gambling, licensing and regulatory committee, said: “Uncontrolled numbers of hackney carriages would cause additional congestion in the city and at ranks, add to pollution and be a threat to the livelihoods of experienced drivers who provide a much-needed service.”

Mr Bayley has written to Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin over fears the proposals could mean passengers being “ripped off” and lead to a rise in bogus drivers, asking him to make no changes to the existing laws.

He said: “If the council loses the right to regulate the number of vehicles, it could cause chaos and confusion.

“Deregulation is also likely to cause arguments between drivers as they compete for fares. I hope the minister will take these concerns on board.”

source: http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/1054990 ... nder_fire/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:06 am 

I've only been away 2 weeks - is the earth still flat?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:41 pm 

Haven't the LC already said that they had changed their mind about this re taxis. I still don't understand why they can't see the real danger in front of their noses :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:33 pm 

captain cab wrote:

Only in la la land.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:36 pm 

toots wrote:
Haven't the LC already said that they had changed their mind about this re taxis. I still don't understand why they can't see the real danger in front of their noses :roll:

Clearly those hackney owners in restricted areas that are anti LC haven't quite grasped that the LC are on their side.

So by being anti LC they are fighting against what they want.

The words 'thick as pigs poo' spring to mind, although I don't mean poo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:26 pm 

Sussex wrote:

=D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:34 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Only in la la land.

Not according to the flat earth society !!

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:30 pm 

Sussex wrote:
toots wrote:

Clearly those hackney owners in restricted areas that are anti LC haven't quite grasped that the LC are on their side.

So by being anti LC they are fighting against what they want.

quite self explanitary isnt it really

rumour an inability to process written word

sad thing is the dummies always put their oar in and then leave once the mess is created

i know one handing out keep it local stickers but he have conflict of interest so it explain why he want it

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:03 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
If that is Keep trade local stickers then that is part of an FSB campaign to get people to use small businesses instead of big multinationals that don't pay tax

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:26 am 

na it specific say keep it local law comision an have pics of taxis on it