Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:23 pm 

Hand councils new taxi powers, says Commission

The Law Commission has called for councils to be given greater powers over taxis and private hire vehicles as part of plans to boost safety and create national standards.

Its proposals would give local authorities the power to inspect and ban vehicles deemed unsafe and impound those caught touting for trade. They should also be able to set higher standards locally, it said.

The recommendations have been welcomed by the Local Government Association, which earlier this month attacked Government proposals to relax rules over who can drive licensed minicabs.

Cllr Tony Page, the Local Government Association’s licensing spokesman, said: ‘Councils have long called for reform of outdated laws regulating taxi and private hire vehicles so we are pleased the Law Commission has listened to our concerns. Taxi and private hire vehicles are an essential means of transport for many, especially older or disabled people, and all passengers have the right to expect the vehicle and its driver meet safety standards.

‘Powers to seize unsafe vehicles or those used to tout for trade would help councils target rogue or irresponsible drivers while licensing niche vehicles, such as limousines, means people travelling in any vehicle could be confident both the driver and the car have passed council checks. Introducing a national minimum safety standard, which could be improved or tailored by councils, would also provide the flexibility for councils to adapt to changes in technology or local conditions and ensure the safety of all passengers.

‘Keeping residents safe is a priority for councils and it is imperative the Government accepts these Law Commission’s proposals and withdraw plans to relax taxi licensing rules inserted into the Deregulation Bill before the expected publication of this in-depth review.’

source: http://www.localgov.co.uk/Hand-councils ... sion/36365

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:36 pm 

Quote:
Introducing a national minimum safety standard, which could be improved or tailored by councils

eh?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:02 pm 

Yes, if only there was some sort of annual (or more frequent) safety test for vehicles that councils could carry out #-o

And another sort of check that could be administered to verify that drivers are not criminals #-o

Next they'll be wanting to introduce some sort of licensing scheme :roll:

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:31 pm 

Cllr Tony Page wrote:
‘Keeping residents safe is a priority for councils and it is imperative the Government accepts these Law Commission’s proposals and withdraw plans to relax taxi licensing rules inserted into the Deregulation Bill before the expected publication of this in-depth review.’

Is this idiot for real? :sad:

The three taxi and PH bits of the Dereg Bill are a) any driver when not working, b) allow work to be passed on to operators licensed elsewhere, and c) three year licenses.

If we ignore the non working vehicle bit, as it seems I'm the only one who thinks it will make no difference, the cross border proposals in the Dereg Bill are far less of a problem than those proposed by the LC. And if I was a LO I would sooner have the three yearly licenses, as they are, IMO, a better way to finance officers than the fixed fees mentioned by the LC.

If we look at the fixed by Gov fees pubs and clubs pay, it's negiable compared to the money the trade pays. The idiot from the LGA is defo a turkey voting for Xmas.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:21 am 

Sussex wrote:
Cllr Tony Page wrote:

Is this idiot for real? :sad:

The three taxi and PH bits of the Dereg Bill are a) any driver when not working, b) allow work to be passed on to operators licensed elsewhere, and c) three year licenses.

If we ignore the non working vehicle bit, as it seems I'm the only one who thinks it will make no difference, the cross border proposals in the Dereg Bill are far less of a problem than those proposed by the LC. And if I was a LO I would sooner have the three yearly licenses, as they are, IMO, a better way to finance officers than the fixed fees mentioned by the LC.

If we look at the fixed by Gov fees pubs and clubs pay, it's negiable compared to the money the trade pays. The idiot from the LGA is defo a turkey voting for Xmas.

Are you suggesting the dereg bill gives a LA power to stop vehicles they don't license?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:22 am 

captain cab wrote:
Are you suggesting the dereg bill gives a LA power to stop vehicles they don't license?

No I'm not, unless that's the secret number 4.

My point is the cross border measures in the Dereg Bill are a lot better for the trade than the measures proposed by the LC.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:38 pm 

cc do you do any thing in any Magazine/Papersthese days. I miss your thoughts

The Hackney Association Ltd
bbha@btinternet.com

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:44 pm 

Who as Nicked My Photo put it back, you cant leve any on here

bbha@btinternet.com

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:14 pm 

charles007 wrote:
cc do you do any thing in any Magazine/Papersthese days. I miss your thoughts

Not any more Charles - I cant be ar$ed writing, it get me into too much trouble :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:15 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

No I'm not, unless that's the secret number 4.

My point is the cross border measures in the Dereg Bill are a lot better for the trade than the measures proposed by the LC.

I lost you at secret :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:37 pm 

charles007 wrote:

I see no one as owned up.

bbha@btinternet.com

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:18 pm 

charles007 wrote:
charles007 wrote:

I see no one as owned up.