Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:11 am 

Grandad wrote:
The paper trail, or computer records for the job would still exist. The operator sub contracting the job would have to have a record of the booking and the operator who the job is sub contracted to would also have to have a record of the job, including which driver did the job. That is the law. Are you saying that private hire operators don't keep records now? Or are you saying that at the moment they keep records but as soon as the deregulation bill is passed, they won't keep records?

No, I'm saying that not all operators are wonderful. I've known staff in companies change things on computers and unless you know what you're looking at you wouldn't notice. In a perfect world full of nice people we wouldn't have to worry about protecting the public but it's not and they aren't so we do. Due to a minority of incidents and people the majority will suffer or perhaps they won't, perhaps it will just be the odd unfortunate female, male or pensioner etc but I don't want to be part of the group that say it's ok so I'll keep my stance that the deregulation bill is not a safe option.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:56 pm 

toots wrote:
Grandad wrote:
The paper trail, or computer records for the job would still exist. The operator sub contracting the job would have to have a record of the booking and the operator who the job is sub contracted to would also have to have a record of the job, including which driver did the job. That is the law. Are you saying that private hire operators don't keep records now? Or are you saying that at the moment they keep records but as soon as the deregulation bill is passed, they won't keep records?

No, I'm saying that not all operators are wonderful. I've known staff in companies change things on computers and unless you know what you're looking at you wouldn't notice. In a perfect world full of nice people we wouldn't have to worry about protecting the public but it's not and they aren't so we do. Due to a minority of incidents and people the majority will suffer or perhaps they won't, perhaps it will just be the odd unfortunate female, male or pensioner etc but I don't want to be part of the group that say it's ok so I'll keep my stance that the deregulation bill is not a safe option.

Have you noticed how few of the forum members have actually expressed an opinion on the issue?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:52 pm 

grandad wrote:
Have you noticed how few of the forum members have actually expressed an opinion on the issue?

Yeah - and I noticed how jmans 'driving a hybrid' thread lasted 9 pages and his PH insurance thread lasted 344 pages :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:49 pm 

toots wrote:
Yes but there is one central point for contact, ie. the operator in your licensed area, this would not be the case if nobody knows what area you are working from

But as I said to the Captain, those requirements are already in place in London, and have we seen it abused there?

Or is London the beacon they tell us it is?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:50 pm 

roythebus wrote:
For smaller operators such as myself who often take bookings by mobile phone on the road, it is difficult to keep paper records of anything, so such things are rather academic. Everyone who discusses this matter only ever sees it in the context of the radio circuits, nobody ever sees the small operator's perspective, a point which I made rather loudly at the LC seminar I attended.

But surely your existing rules say you must keep records of bookings?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:51 pm 

captain cab wrote:
grandad wrote:
Don't your council check your private hire booking records? This is one thing that our council do actually check.

never had any of my records checked in the 20 years I was involved in a taxi / PH business by the council

Ours always check, maybe on a monthly basis.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:52 pm 

grandad wrote:

In all fairness they are happy as they are, and I suspect that applies to the 1000s of lurkers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:36 pm 

Sussex wrote:

don't think I'd be too happy paying my license fee to employ someone to look at PH pre bookings.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:14 am 

captain cab wrote:
Sussex wrote:

don't think I'd be too happy paying my license fee to employ someone to look at PH pre bookings.

They usually, if not always, have good reason.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:21 am 

Sussex wrote:

if they're checking on a monthly basis I'd say they have little reason :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:03 am 

captain cab wrote:
Sussex wrote:

if they're checking on a monthly basis I'd say they have little reason :wink:

Complaint investigations.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:26 am 

grandad wrote:
toots wrote:
Grandad wrote:

It Won't affect us up here in Scotland will it as we are covered by our own Scottish Licensing act and you know how reserved and un-opinionated we Jocks are on matters that don't involve us. :wink: