Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 16785
toots wrote:
grandad wrote:
The real issue is that with 3 already legal ways for licensed vehicles and drivers to be used across borders, why is this last one so much more "dangerous"?


Perhaps the question should be why are there already 3 different legal ways for cross border and what are the safety implications of that?

That question has not been raised by any of the groups that are objecting to the new proposals so it doesn't seem to be an issue. Do you have an answer to why this proposal is more dangerous than than the other 3?
Perhaps most of the objections are based on certain groups wanting to keep the status quo as a form of protectionism from extra competition.

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 39125
Location: 1066 Country
grandad wrote:
The real issue is that with 3 already legal ways for licensed vehicles and drivers to be used across borders, why is this last one so much more "dangerous"?

It's not more dangerous, but most (but not all) of the so-called leadership of the taxi/PH trade haven't got a clue about cross border anyway.

I still struggle to understand why the PH trade need to record details of radio work, whereas the hackney trade don't.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:22 pm
Posts: 14134
Location: On the move
grandad wrote:
toots wrote:
grandad wrote:
The real issue is that with 3 already legal ways for licensed vehicles and drivers to be used across borders, why is this last one so much more "dangerous"?


Perhaps the question should be why are there already 3 different legal ways for cross border and what are the safety implications of that?

That question has not been raised by any of the groups that are objecting to the new proposals so it doesn't seem to be an issue. Do you have an answer to why this proposal is more dangerous than than the other 3?
Perhaps most of the objections are based on certain groups wanting to keep the status quo as a form of protectionism from extra competition.


My objection was to the fact that they were prepared to allow anybody to drive a licensed vehicle. Imo cross border wouldn't be a problem if it was purely to assist each other, but, as it will enable drivers licensed in one area to work in another it is a concern because they haven't suggested that LOs from area A will be able to check drivers from area B. I guess if they allow that I would feel happier.

_________________
Note to self: Just because it pops into my head does NOT mean it should come out of my mouth!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 16785
toots wrote:

My objection was to the fact that they were prepared to allow anybody to drive a licensed vehicle. Imo cross border wouldn't be a problem if it was purely to assist each other, but, as it will enable drivers licensed in one area to work in another it is a concern because they haven't suggested that LOs from area A will be able to check drivers from area B. I guess if they allow that I would feel happier.

Well the issue of anyone driving has been resolved. The current situation is that there are 3 ways for drivers licensed in one area to legally work in another. It could be said that it will be safer for a private Hire operator to use another Private Hire operator from another area because at least that journey will be recorded. If a Hackney driver subs the job to a Private hire operator, The Hackney driver does not need to keep any details.

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:22 pm
Posts: 14134
Location: On the move
grandad wrote:
toots wrote:

My objection was to the fact that they were prepared to allow anybody to drive a licensed vehicle. Imo cross border wouldn't be a problem if it was purely to assist each other, but, as it will enable drivers licensed in one area to work in another it is a concern because they haven't suggested that LOs from area A will be able to check drivers from area B. I guess if they allow that I would feel happier.

Well the issue of anyone driving has been resolved. The current situation is that there are 3 ways for drivers licensed in one area to legally work in another. It could be said that it will be safer for a private Hire operator to use another Private Hire operator from another area because at least that journey will be recorded. If a Hackney driver subs the job to a Private hire operator, The Hackney driver does not need to keep any details.


Yeah but the private hire operator does :wink:

_________________
Note to self: Just because it pops into my head does NOT mean it should come out of my mouth!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 16785
toots wrote:
grandad wrote:
toots wrote:

My objection was to the fact that they were prepared to allow anybody to drive a licensed vehicle. Imo cross border wouldn't be a problem if it was purely to assist each other, but, as it will enable drivers licensed in one area to work in another it is a concern because they haven't suggested that LOs from area A will be able to check drivers from area B. I guess if they allow that I would feel happier.

Well the issue of anyone driving has been resolved. The current situation is that there are 3 ways for drivers licensed in one area to legally work in another. It could be said that it will be safer for a private Hire operator to use another Private Hire operator from another area because at least that journey will be recorded. If a Hackney driver subs the job to a Private hire operator, The Hackney driver does not need to keep any details.


Yeah but the private hire operator does :wink:

But if you have booked with your local Hackney and the job has been passed quite legally without your knowledge, your point of redress would be with your local hackney who probably wouldn't have a record of the journey where as a private Hire operator would have had to keep the details.

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:22 pm
Posts: 14134
Location: On the move
Grandad wrote:
But if you have booked with your local Hackney and the job has been passed quite legally without your knowledge, your point of redress would be with your local hackney who probably wouldn't have a record of the journey where as a private Hire operator would have had to keep the details.


One has to wonder how many hackneys do indeed pass work to a ph operator even though they can and that said who said it was without the knowledge of the customer?

_________________
Note to self: Just because it pops into my head does NOT mean it should come out of my mouth!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:26 pm
Posts: 7740
Now this is what has been suggested .....That the same rules that apply regarding P/H should apply to Hackneys regarding booking ..And every hackney radio system that I know keeps records .....They would be bloody silly not to.... :lol:

_________________
Justice for the 96. It has only taken 27 years...........repeat the same lies for 27 years and the truth sounds strange to people!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:25 pm
Posts: 36821
Location: Wayneistan
MR T wrote:
Now this is what has been suggested .....That the same rules that apply regarding P/H should apply to Hackneys regarding booking ..And every hackney radio system that I know keeps records .....They would be bloody silly not to.... :lol:


the majority of issues always seem to come from minicabs, illegal plying, cross border and so on - whats the point of a three year badge when the majority of new entrants leave the minicab trade when they find a proper job? :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 16785
toots wrote:
who said it was without the knowledge of the customer?

That is the scenario being voiced about the proposed changes.

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:22 pm
Posts: 14134
Location: On the move
grandad wrote:
toots wrote:
who said it was without the knowledge of the customer?

That is the scenario being voiced about the proposed changes.


Is it, I thought it was about drivers from area A working in area B and area B's LOs not being able to check them :? In this day and age it's difficult to imagine that a ph op would take a booking without it having to go into some computer system of sorts

_________________
Note to self: Just because it pops into my head does NOT mean it should come out of my mouth!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:25 pm
Posts: 36821
Location: Wayneistan
toots wrote:
In this day and age it's difficult to imagine that a ph op would take a booking without it having to go into some computer system of sorts


Or an op having something to keep a reminder of upcoming events - such as customer bookings - such as renewal dates - I like to call this thing a diary :roll: :roll: :roll:

_________________
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 39125
Location: 1066 Country
captain cab wrote:
MR T wrote:
Now this is what has been suggested .....That the same rules that apply regarding P/H should apply to Hackneys regarding booking ..And every hackney radio system that I know keeps records .....They would be bloody silly not to.... :lol:


the majority of issues always seem to come from minicabs, illegal plying, cross border and so on - whats the point of a three year badge when the majority of new entrants leave the minicab trade when they find a proper job? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure about that.

The major cross border issues involve hackneys working with radios in different areas.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:25 pm
Posts: 36821
Location: Wayneistan
Sussex wrote:
Not sure about that.

The major cross border issues involve hackneys working with radios in different areas.


obviously my wind up went astray :lol:

_________________
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group