Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:07 pm 

Hunt for taxi driver who left cyclist with broken arm and needing stitches

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1683615 ... -stitches/

POLICE are hunting a taxi that failed to stop after pulling in front of a cyclist who then crashed, badly injuring himself.

Paul Holdgate, 41, flew over his handlebars and broke his arm as he hit the ground.

He needed stitches in his chin, an operation to put a metal plate in his elbow – and almost missed the birth of his daughter Olive.

Mr Holdgate said the nurse who treated him told him that if any other part of his head had taken the impact, it could have been fatal.

He said: “My daughter has just been born and I can’t lift her up or change her nappies.

“It was hard hitting to be told it could have been fatal. I’m just so glad to be alive.”

Mr Holdgate is a marketing manager at Brandwatch in Church street, Brighton.

He was cycling down Queen’s Park Road on his way to his work at 8.20am on Friday, August 17, when the accident happened.

He saw a taxi coming along on the opposite side of the road begin to turn across his path into St Luke’s Terrace.

He shouted at the driver not to turn as he was cycling quickly and unable to stop.

But the taxi kept going and he was forced to slam on his brakes, which sent him hurtling over the handlebars at speed.

He said: “I just missed the taxi and went flying over my handlebars and my arm reached out to cushion the blow.

“The huge blow broke my elbow and my chin also took much of the impact. The taxi didn’t stop, but three or four passersby pulled me to the side of the road and called an ambulance.”

He was taken to the nearby Royal Sussex County Hospital where his chin was stitched and he was told he would need an operation to repair the damage to his elbow.

The operation to put a metal plate in his arm was set for Saturday but was delayed so he could be with his wife Grace as she gave birth to Olive.

Mr Holdgate said he now believes Brighton is not safe for cyclists.

He said: “Brighton is supposed to be known as an eco-friendly city.

“It’s portrayed as that but in reality, it’s just not set up for bikes at all.

“This has been the worst timing ever, but luckily we’ve got a beautiful daughter and she’s got a dad that’s still alive.”

Police are now trying to trace the taxi and are appealing for witnesses to come forward.

A Sussex Police spokeswoman said: “Police were called after a cyclist fell off his bike after he was forced to break to avoid a collision with a taxi turning into St Luke’s Terrace in Brighton on 17 August at 8.30am. The 41-year-old cyclist suffered a broken elbow and a cut to his chin and was taken to hospital. The taxi driver failed to stop.

“Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to contact police online or ring 101 quoting serial 290 of 17/08.”

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:11 pm 

Predictably lot of comments about this on the Argus website.

And I know the cyclist could be totally blameless, but all this stuff about "changing nappies" and a "beautiful daughter" just being born makes it sound like he's laying it all on a bit thick, and makes me cynical about what happened.

And, to be fair, that's no doubt wholly or partially the fault of the newspaper, who of course like the portray things in this way in their reporting for maximum impact, sort of black and white/good v evil thing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:50 pm 

Not a fan of most cyclists.

Wouldn't run them over though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:34 am 

Quote:
He shouted at the driver not to turn as he was cycling quickly and unable to stop

I wonder what would have happened if the Cycle had pulled out in front of the taxi and the cabbie had used that as an excuse.."He shouted at the Cyclist not to turn as he was driving quickly and unable to stop".

I'm Guessing if rolls were reversed the cabby would still be blamed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:37 am 

I would have thought that any road user in an urban environment should be able to perform an emergency stop safely, the fact that he was unable to brake hard without flying over the handlebars suggests that he was cycling far too fast for the area he was in which makes him partly responsible for his injuries.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:03 am 

Midlife martyr wrote:
I would have thought that any road user in an urban environment should be able to perform an emergency stop safely, the fact that he was unable to brake hard without flying over the handlebars suggests that he was cycling far too fast for the area he was in which makes him partly responsible for his injuries.

Aye..yet he had time to shout out that he couldn't stop as he was going to fast, hardly makes me think that he reacted so fast that he had to slam on the front brake alone while had time to bark out all that..besides any cyclist should from experience know not to slam on the front brake but use a combination of both front and back brake at the same time.

Heres a wee tip for the guys in lycra.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+brake+a+bike+safely&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b#kpvalbx=1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:50 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Bloodnock is right something about this doesn't add up I wonder if it is someone trying to get taxis a bad name by deliberately crashing into one when the crash was avoidable ?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:08 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Bloodnock is right something about this doesn't add up I wonder if it is someone trying to get taxis a bad name by deliberately crashing into one when the crash was avoidable ?

There was no collision the cyclists injuries were caused by him slamming the brakes on too hard and flying over the handlebars.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:44 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Midlife martyr wrote:
edders23 wrote:

There was no collision the cyclists injuries were caused by him slamming the brakes on too hard and flying over the handlebars.

precisely cyclist error but he's looking to blame the taxi to claim off the driver :wink:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !