Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:02 pm 
Hi Guys

Really looking for some help here.

I live on southeast of Glasgow and want to get into taxi trade to supplement income when studying for new career over the next couple of years. I've have a clean licence and held it for 20 years. I know I will need to pass a "street test" and then go to an owner who will rent his/her cab to me for 3 or so nights a week. Can any of you guys point me towards the main players in Glasgow, I know in Edinburgh is it Central and Capital? What is the equivalent in Glasgow? Also any general experiences of differences in trade between Edinburgh and Glasgow as I have friend who does it in Edinburgh and can tell me lots about it there but not Glasgow. So please give me as much info as I can have. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:35 pm 

I would ring up the Glasgow TOA. They must have a school of some sort.

Else, give the taxi licensing dept at the council a ring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:00 pm 

As far as I know there's just one major player in Glasgow, the TOA, and they have a bit on their site about a knowledge school:

http://www.gwtoa.co.uk/taxi_school_training.html

In other cities individual operators may advertise in the local evening paper for drivers, whether or not they are attached to a large office, but things may be different in Glasgow.

I doubt if Glasgow and Edinburgh are hugely different, but looking at the numbers Glasgow has a large private hire sector, but Edinburgh's is relatively small. It may be easier to get into PH than taxis, particulary if the taxi knowledge test is quite stiff, especially as you seem to be just looking for part time work - PH in Edinburgh don't need to pass a knowlege test as far as I know, but I don't know about Glasgow.

Dusty

Post subject: re advice
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:40 pm 
Thanks guys, helpful stuff.

One of the things my wife is concerned about is security, ie getting mugged, threatened with knives etc. Is this a real concern or does it happen very rarely?

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:52 am 

Yes it does alas.

The stories you may read in the trade mags, aren't made up.

You will be slightly better off in a black cab, but I'm a afraid, especially at night, it can be a poxy old world out there. :(

Post subject: Knowledge Test
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:47 pm 
Just thought I'd let you know that the Glasgow TOA run classes for the knowledge test. Also, in Scotland the law does not allow tests for Private Hire drivers.

Good luck