Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:27 pm 
Sussex Man wrote:
But then we have the major cities taxi trade doing just fine with WAVs, so if they can cope with the extra burden, why can't elsewhere?



It depends what you mean by coping with the extra burden, but in most of the major cities where WAVs/PBs are required there's a huge PH sector, whereas if only saloons were required then there would hardly be any PH sector at all (ignoring the quota issue).

Perhaps Cruisin' Cabby could answer a question:

If I phoned for a PH in Crystal Palace :) to take me half a mile up the road, how much would the fare be?

If I phoned for a taxi circuit (because I need a WAV) to take me a half a mile up the road, how much would the fare be?

Dusty


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:31 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Sussex Man wrote:
But then we have the major cities taxi trade doing just fine with WAVs, so if they can cope with the extra burden, why can't elsewhere?



It depends what you mean by coping with the extra burden, but in most of the major cities where WAVs/PBs are required there's a huge PH sector, whereas if only saloons were required then there would hardly be any PH sector at all (ignoring the quota issue).

Perhaps Cruisin' Cabby could answer a question:

If I phoned for a PH in Crystal Palace :) to take me half a mile up the road, how much would the fare be?

If I phoned for a taxi circuit (because I need a WAV) to take me a half a mile up the road, how much would the fare be?

Dusty



how about pfoning yourself to find out? although how that question is relevant?...............

Wharfie


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:20 pm
Posts: 3272
Wharfie wrote:
As someone in a council not named you can be complacement, the rest its reality.



You are correct Wharfy, my council wasn't named :shock:

But I was stating the facts re the process, the facts are 'reaility', surely.

Dusty :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:04 pm
Posts: 725
Location: Essex, England
Anonymous wrote:
Oh aye, the Disability Discrimination Act was passed in 1995 not 2000


And superceeded by the 2000 Act of the same name.

_________________
There is Significant Unmet Demand for my Opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:04 pm
Posts: 725
Location: Essex, England
Wharfie wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Sussex Man wrote:
But then we have the major cities taxi trade doing just fine with WAVs, so if they can cope with the extra burden, why can't elsewhere?



It depends what you mean by coping with the extra burden, but in most of the major cities where WAVs/PBs are required there's a huge PH sector, whereas if only saloons were required then there would hardly be any PH sector at all (ignoring the quota issue).

Perhaps Cruisin' Cabby could answer a question:

If I phoned for a PH in Crystal Palace :) to take me half a mile up the road, how much would the fare be?

If I phoned for a taxi circuit (because I need a WAV) to take me a half a mile up the road, how much would the fare be?

Dusty



how about pfoning yourself to find out? although how that question is relevant?...............

Wharfie


I think what Sussex Andy is getting at, is the vast difference in price for someone in a wheelchair. While a taxi cannot legally charge a different fare for carrying someone just because they are in a wheelchair, the truth is that it is common practice, as the regulatory regime virtually exempts PH from carrying them. Thus, an unfair disadvantage.

_________________
There is Significant Unmet Demand for my Opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:20 pm
Posts: 3272
Wharfie wrote:
how about pfoning yourself to find out? although how that question is relevant?...............



When the OFT report comes out, will you drive down to London for a copy?

Why don't you put each of your messages on here on a piece of paper, put them in an envelope, and post them to everyone likely to read them?

And don't say it's because the Royal Mail has ground to a halt.

The answer to your first question, Wharfy, is that it's a bit easier for CC to answer the question - he could probably type in materially accurate figures within a minute.

On the other hand, by the time I decided the best way to get two numbers, actually found two numbers, phoned them and give them huge spiel about exactly what I wanted, and inconvenience them and possibly annoy them in the process, then post the figures on here, and then wonder if the minicab office I phoned was representative, then I think it would be easier on all concerned to ask CC.

In fact I suspect it would be a lot easier for CC to answer the question than for me to type this reply.

Does that answer your question :?:

The question is relevant because....oh, I give up, can someone answer that question.

Oh, I see someone already has :)

Dusty


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:04 pm
Posts: 725
Location: Essex, England
Well, I tried, Dusty. Sorry. I was re-quoting the quote, of the quote. I meant "what I thought Dusty was on about rather than Sussex Andy. But you know what I meant anyway.

My posts today are suffering a bit from tender Brain syndrome. We had a full shift for Saturday morning, so Friday night we all went up the pub. I am still suffering from it. At least I didn't chuck up in the cab that brought us home. I would never have lived that down. :oops: :oops: :oops: But if my sentances are a bit confused, I apologise in advance. :roll:

_________________
There is Significant Unmet Demand for my Opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:38 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 43986
Location: 1066 Country
I think the 'what does each charge from A to B' is slightly miss leading. :?

Even if one was twice as dear as the other, it doesn't necessarily mean he will earn twice as much in a week, cos he might only do a quarter of the jobs. :? :? :? :? :? :?

That will teach those who blaspheme. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:28 am 
Andy7 wrote:
Wharfie wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Sussex Man wrote:
But then we have the major cities taxi trade doing just fine with WAVs, so if they can cope with the extra burden, why can't elsewhere?



It depends what you mean by coping with the extra burden, but in most of the major cities where WAVs/PBs are required there's a huge PH sector, whereas if only saloons were required then there would hardly be any PH sector at all (ignoring the quota issue).

Perhaps Cruisin' Cabby could answer a question:

If I phoned for a PH in Crystal Palace :) to take me half a mile up the road, how much would the fare be?

If I phoned for a taxi circuit (because I need a WAV) to take me a half a mile up the road, how much would the fare be?

Dusty



how about pfoning yourself to find out? although how that question is relevant?...............

Wharfie


I think what Sussex Andy is getting at, is the vast difference in price for someone in a wheelchair. While a taxi cannot legally charge a different fare for carrying someone just because they are in a wheelchair, the truth is that it is common practice, as the regulatory regime virtually exempts PH from carrying them. Thus, an unfair disadvantage.



I think all of you, have got all this wrong, its equal price for equal service
if you give more service to a wheelchair user, you can charge more price
the equal pay legislation is about equal pay for work of equal value.

WHARFIE


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:20 pm
Posts: 3272
What I was trying to say was that London is great in DDA terms because it's all WAV taxi-wise.

So what I was trying to compare was the FARE for a half mile hop in C****** P***** as between minicab and taxi circuit, from the customer's point of view, not ours.

Dusty :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:43 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 43986
Location: 1066 Country
Wharfie wrote:
well its the secretary of state that does exemptions not daptac, but authorities first have to prove steps taken like swivel seats and opening up the market,

Wharfie


That's a valid point. If councils wish to have an opt out, they have to prove that there would be drastic fall in the number of HCs. In a restricted area, that ain't going to happen. :wink:

However in those rural areas without quotas, who request an opt out and get it past diptac, then I doubt the government would go against them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:19 am 
No-one has mentioned vehicles suitability.

Would the number of WAV's increase signifigantly if the individual local authorities insisted upon brand new TX2's.

B. Lucky :twisted:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:07 am 
Anonymous wrote:
No-one has mentioned vehicles suitability.

Would the number of WAV's increase signifigantly if the individual local authorities insisted upon brand new TX2's.

B. Lucky :twisted:


of course vehicle suitability has been covered!

take a look at the euro7 thread its packed jam full of predjudice

Wharfie


Top
  
 
 Post subject: PH's Exempt from DDA?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:53 pm
Posts: 1
Location: Cheshire
Quote:
as the regulatory regime virtually exempts PH from carrying them. Thus, an unfair disadvantage.


This May Be the case in some areas but our L.A. insists that any business with more than 4 PH vehicles must have 1 WAV in each 4, are you saying this is unenforceable in law :?:

_________________
It's Nice to be Important, But
It's More Important to be Nice


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:40 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 43986
Location: 1066 Country
Anonymous wrote:
Would the number of WAV's increase signifigantly if the individual local authorities insisted upon brand new TX2's.

B. Lucky :twisted:


Well yes, in restricted areas, if applied to all. But surely in time, that would lead to a large increase in the PH trade.

But I doubt many councils, and Cab Direct doubt any councils, can legally do it. All the time the alternatives exist.

Get rid of the taxi plate premium, then drivers will have more flexibility in what they buy. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Sussex and 50 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group