Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:26 pm 

Eric the viking wrote:
http://www.thechauffeur.com/

That is part of it not all it also goes onto more than eight pax, certificate of initial fitness, operators license, driving licenses.

I should really scan it and post it at some stage.

Regards
eric

Interesting. Obviously the whole paper isn't on the website, but the tenor of what's there seems to suggest than any stretch limo not licensed by an LA is operating illegally.

But as far as I'm aware, many LAs who do not license them do not regard them as illegal, just not in need of licensing.

Interesting although about the contract hire exemption - the paper seems to suggest that the time period depends on the LA - but isn't the 7 days in the legislation?

PS This message was posted last night, but I just realised that another message was posted between mine and the message I was replying to, so it may not have made much sense. Even assuming it does now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:33 pm 

Sussex wrote:
!

The business now says it does not plan to continue trading in the next five years, as ever-increasing costs and red tape is causing the company to invest too much money to keep its vehicles in-line with new laws and regulations. “We are spending many thousands each year to keep our chauffeured vehicles and drivers up-to-date with ludicrous rules which the PCO keep introducing’.
[/b]

The firm is very probably either a bunch of cowboys rather than a chauffer-drive operation, is a crap business that would have went belly-up anyway and they're just trying to blame regulation, or the business is just talking rubbish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:55 pm 

I have to say that article re london licesning is hitting the spot for a large number of operators, you see this is the reality of the situation.

It has been made so difficult in London to run a legit outfit and to be profitable, the reason for this is all the illegal cowboys who do not have the overheads slashing the prices, that is why most operators have gone down the chauffeur route, that and the fact that they can not get decent drivers unless they are paying decent rates, its a circle that has no start or finish.

Minicabs in london are generally driven by drivers who do not speak english, do not know where they are going and have no conception of customer service, are unlicensed themselves and work for an operator who is also unlicensed. Calling yourself a chauffeur gives the customer the right impression, that you are not like that.

And of course have a reason to charge more than £1 per mile.

It is only the drivers described above that want to do the clubs and pubs and quite frankly they are welcolme to it.

Licensing promised touts off the road and illegal operators closed down, but there is one vital ingredient missing here which is key, the PCO have no poweres of enforcement, therefore what is the point in them targetting the illegal operators? And indeed they realise this themselves an do not waste their time.

Instead they are using the powers they do have to hassel the legal operators to the point that they are making life unbearable for some, large and small alike, they make up the regulations as they go along, and change them to suit themselves.

That's it in a nut shell, it is hard times for us all and it shows no signs of improvement.

Regards

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:55 pm 
One of the lads had a bunch of stories about these cars at the rank at teatime. They had been discussed by the council today.
Funny thing was that all of the stories have been pasted from this site.
I couldn't stop laughing. :D :D
Better whatch what I say. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:01 pm 

It would seem we have a mole. :-$

Which is why you are Cgull, I'm Sussex, TDO is TDO etc etc. :wink:

Oh and Nidge from Mansfield is Nigel from Mansfield. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:39 pm 

Such a shame, now they know what it is like to be on the recieving end, exactly what they were doing to the london hackneys prior to licensing.

Sussex wrote:
I like this story from a few months ago. I feel so sorry for them having to deal with all this licensing stuff. I mean fancy the PCO wanting to have proper drivers, driving proper cars. :shock:

LONDON CHAUFFEUR FIRM ATTACKS PCO!

MASSIVE OPERATING costs, illegal minicabs and a lack of support from the Public Carriage Office could destroy the future of the chauffeuring industry in London, according to an established business in the Capital...
Bosses from a popular chauffeuring company have contact The Chauffeur Magazine claiming the industry could be under threat from a lack of support and understanding from the Public Carriage Office in London.
The business now says it does not plan to continue trading in the next five years, as ever-increasing costs and red tape is causing the company to invest too much money to keep its vehicles in-line with new laws and regulations. “We are spending many thousands each year to keep our chauffeured vehicles and drivers up-to-date with ludicrous rules which the PCO keep introducing’.
That’s according to the chauffeur company boss who wishes to remain anomonous. ‘Mr. C’ says, “The PCO are spending too much time hassling legitimate companies like ours, and not enough time out on the streets cracking down on illegal minicab drivers who are threatening our industry.” “We are getting a very raw deal - when new laws are introduced we get no say whatsoever, we are not consulted to see what we think, and if we do not agree with it - it is tough luck!’ “Everytime we phone the Public Carriage Office, we get a different voice each time and it seems as if no-one really knows the answer to our questions, a different answer is given on a daily basis. It is about time we had an officer who can look after the interests of the chauffeuring community and at least knows the answers to our questions.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:59 am 

I think part of the problem in London is now that the PH firms are starting to realise that they need to look after, and keep their drivers.

That doesn't just mean having nice motors to run around in, but paying them proper money to do a proper job. Some operators now realise that, but alas they are currently being under-cut by those that don't.

However, it doesn't matter how cheap your rates are, if you haven't got any drivers, then you are ****ed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:05 pm 
dms0001 wrote:
Such a shame, now they know what it is like to be on the recieving end, exactly what they were doing to the london hackneys prior to licensing.

Simple solution, crush the lot of them. We are getting over run with them in Mansfield, a lad who works the rank has got one, he paid £8,000 and after 2 weeks the head gasket went :lol: :lol: :lol: it cost him over £800 to get it back on the road, he was on about the limo trade saying he was earning over £400 per night, ok fair enough but whats he going to do when Christmas is over??? He thinks it's a all year round trade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:40 pm 

Sussex wrote:

LONDON CHAUFFEUR FIRM ATTACKS PCO!

MASSIVE OPERATING costs, illegal minicabs and a lack of support from the Public Carriage Office could destroy the future of the chauffeuring industry in London, according to an established business in the Capital...
Bosses from a popular chauffeuring company have contact The Chauffeur Magazine claiming the industry could be under threat from a lack of support and understanding from the Public Carriage Office in London.
That’s according to the chauffeur company boss who wishes to remain anomonous. ‘Mr. C’ says, “The PCO are spending too much time hassling legitimate companies like ours, and not enough time out on the streets cracking down on illegal minicab drivers who are threatening our industry.” “We are getting a very raw deal - when new laws are introduced we get no say whatsoever, we are not consulted to see what we think, and if we do not agree with it - it is tough luck!’ “Everytime we phone the Public Carriage Office, we get a different voice each time and it seems as if no-one really knows the answer to our questions, a different answer is given on a daily basis. It is about time we had an officer who can look after the interests of the chauffeuring community and at least knows the answers to our questions.”

oh the poor dears !!

welcome to the world of licenced drivers and vehicles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:53 pm 
Steveo wrote:
oh the poor dears !!

welcome to the world of licenced drivers and vehicles.

Oh yes \:D/ \:D/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:18 am 

:lol: :lol: my heart bleeds for them ... :D :D ive heard som eph companies are paying a grand jsut to keep drivers .. welcom eto real world national insurance tax etc... :lol: they are the ones who said they want to be legal only they dont want to pay , cant have it always :lol: :lol: