Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:26 pm 

D-day for Bewdley tuk tuk service

A DECISION is set to be made on whether a pub landlord can use his popular offbeat vehicle to drop customers between two Bewdley pubs.

Paul Glover-Winfield was forced to stop using his tuk tuk – a south east Asian motor vehicle – to ferry customers from the Cock and Magpie to the Hope Pole Inn, on the orders of Wyre Forest District Council.

The 40-year-old, who owns both pubs with his daughter, Emma Passey, 25, was told he needed a licence as it was classed as private hire.

Now the council’s Licensing and Environment Committee is set to meet tomorrow to consider his application for a licence.

The Shuttle reported in July that Mr Glover-Winfield set up the free service in June because of the lack of parking spaces at the Hop Pole.

People who booked a table at the Hop Pole would meet him at the Cock and Magpie 30 minutes before their dinner reservations for a ride in the tuk tuk.

He explained there had been a downturn in business since he was forced to scrap the free service.

At tomorrow’s meeting, however, the committee is asked to decide that the tuk tuk is not suitable for use as a private hire vehicle as it failed to meet the mechanical test and licensing conditions.

The report presented to the licensing committee said: “Officers have significant concerns regarding the safety of tuk tuk’s use as licensed vehicles.

“The most obvious safety considerations being the absence of doors, the flimsy construction of the vehicle, the question of roll-over stability and the provision of seat belts.

“In addition, the level of impact protection is negligible. Tuk tuks provide limited protection to passengers and the driver.”

The report added: “On the positive side, licensing tuk tuks would provide a further range of transport options for members of the public.

“They would also be an additional attraction to many visitors to the district.”

The meeting will be held at the Civic Centre, Stourport, at 10.30am.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:08 pm 

captain cab wrote:
The report presented to the licensing committee said: “Officers have significant concerns regarding the safety of tuk tuk’s use as licensed vehicles.

“The most obvious safety considerations being the absence of doors, the flimsy construction of the vehicle, the question of roll-over stability and the provision of seat belts.

“In addition, the level of impact protection is negligible. Tuk tuks provide limited protection to passengers and the driver.”

Just about sums them up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:10 pm 

captain cab wrote:

So they are being deemed not 'fit and proper', but nice to look at? ](*,)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:17 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

So they are being deemed not 'fit and proper', but nice to look at? ](*,)

I actually like the way you despise these vehicles :lol:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:45 am 

If the guy is just trying to make his two buisnesses work a bit better then we all would try something different. Only problem is though is when does it stop, without plating the Tuk Tuk (whatever the heck one of them is) how long will it be before his customers are ringing him to come and pick them up from home and then driving them from his boozer in and out of town and then eventually back home again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:06 am 

dagger wrote:
If the guy is just trying to make his two buisnesses work a bit better then we all would try something different. Only problem is though is when does it stop, without plating the Tuk Tuk (whatever the heck one of them is) how long will it be before his customers are ringing him to come and pick them up from home and then driving them from his boozer in and out of town and then eventually back home again.

I'm sure somebody will oblige with a picture of the trolly cart soon enough :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:13 am 

toots wrote:
dagger wrote:

I'm sure somebody will oblige with a picture of the trolly cart soon enough :wink:
Is it a banana boat or suttin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:18 am 

dagger wrote:
toots wrote:
dagger wrote:

It looks like a golf buggy, just google it and a picture will appear I'm sure :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:25 am 

toots wrote:
dagger wrote:
toots wrote:
dagger wrote:

It looks like a golf buggy, just google it and a picture will appear I'm sure :D
Just googled it to get the banana boat picture out my brain. You were right it does look like a golf boggy, it's one of those rickshaw things they use in bombay. Bit worried though becase they named it after the noise it makes so I hope when I go to plate my car they don't rename it a 'Clunk Clunk'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:27 am 

Quote:
'Clunk Clunk'.

:shock: shame on you :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:33 am 

toots wrote:
Quote:
'Clunk Clunk'.

Ok shame on me for telling fib's. How did you know my car goes'Clunk Clang Clang Clunk'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:35 am 

dagger wrote:
toots wrote:
Quote:
'Clunk Clunk'.

Ok shame on me for telling fib's. How did you know my car goes'Clunk Clang Clang Clunk'.

Pmsl it's not supposed to do that either. Something like varooooooooom would be better :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:36 am 

Clunk Clang Clang Clunk - I'll have to get it fixed, four words in the name so I'm sure Gordon Brown will wanna tax me on that as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:38 am 

toots wrote:
dagger wrote:
toots wrote:
Quote:
'Clunk Clunk'.

Pmsl it's not supposed to do that either. Something like varooooooooom would be better :wink:
Varroooooooooom!!!! Your havin a laugh mate, Its about to go Kaabbbooooooooommmm. Dont know anyone who deals in the Viking funeral trade do ya?.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:51 am 

dagger wrote:
toots wrote:
dagger wrote:
toots wrote:
Quote:
'Clunk Clunk'.

Varroooooooooom!!!! Your havin a laugh mate, Its about to go Kaabbbooooooooommmm. Dont know anyone who deals in the Viking funeral trade do ya?.

Can't say I do but you may have a niche market there if you put your mind to it :D

Mate. Is that like you're 'a man' mate or your 'a friend' mate :?