UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Smarten up you lot
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:47 pm 

Taxi drivers told to get smart
By Dan Slee
Dec 14, 2004, 08:39

Scruffy Sandwell taxi drivers are to be ordered to smarten up their act and drive silver-coloured cars under new regulations being brought into the borough.

Cab and private hire operators will be asked to wear a collared shirt with the operator's logo on view. And a single colour for cars will also be phased in with all new vehicles to be silver after April 2006.

Council chiefs say the move will help passengers identify authentic cars and drive out unlicensed cowboys.

Each vehicle may also have to install a £250 meter as part of the new regulations drawn up after more than 12-months of talks.

The plans will go before the cabinet of Sandwell Council tomorrow (Wednesday).

Councillor Keith Davies, cabinet member for community, said that many drivers and operators were not happy with talk of new regulations.

But he believes there is nothing in the proposals which would be controversial.

He said: "There have been a lot of fears expressed but I do not think there is anything in there for people to be worried about.

"It's all about getting public confidence in the idea of using private hire. We want to make it the second option after public transport."

The new approach has been drawn up after extensive talks with black cab and private hire drivers, members of the public and West Midlands Police as well as the Suzy Lamplugh trust which campaigns for personal safety.

An illuminated roof sign with a Sandwell Council logo must also be displayed from October next year, as part of the new approach.

Cars must be no older than five years from April 2006 if the licence is to be renewed and eight years if they are a fresh application.

The moves have been given a guarded welcome by operators. Val Lalley, of West Bromwich-based A1 Sandwell Taxis, said she thought the new regulations were fair as they stood.

However, the new measures have been attacked by Brian Coles of Gordon's Taxis of West Bromwich who said it was crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:52 pm 
Whats the matter with trainers, a pair of jog bottoms and a nice Nike T shirt? I wonder if the Council would tell the drain cleaners to wear a shirt and tie when un-blocking drains.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:56 pm 

hehe nidge,

is unblocking drains part of your conditions? you want to appeal bud, they seem pretty unfair to me.

Jog bottoms look smart on some, on others the brickies backside doesn't do them justice.

trainers are ok too, but you'll look a tramp if you wear them in a suit.

nike t shirts are good too, unless of course its [edited by admin] down!

some of the trade need to smarten up, but it shouldnt need a LA to tell them, it should be common sense and personal pride.

regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:10 pm 

Sounds good to me, but I'll bet Sussex says something about the dress code breaching the drivers' human rights, but he won't say exactly how :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:09 pm 
captain cab wrote:
hehe nidge,

is unblocking drains part of your conditions? you want to appeal bud, they seem pretty unfair to me.

Jog bottoms look smart on some, on others the brickies backside doesn't do them justice.

trainers are ok too, but you'll look a tramp if you wear them in a suit.

nike t shirts are good too, unless of course its [edited by admin] down!

some of the trade need to smarten up, but it shouldnt need a LA to tell them, it should be common sense and personal pride.

regards

Captain cab

With Mansfield Council anything could happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:05 pm 

TDO wrote:
Sounds good to me, but I'll bet Sussex says something about the dress code breaching the drivers' human rights, but he won't say exactly how :D

Freedom of expression, in my own (unprofessional) opinion. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Smarten up you lot
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:11 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Council chiefs say the move will help passengers identify authentic cars and drive out unlicensed cowboys.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Re: Smarten up you lot
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:14 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Taxi drivers told to get smart
By Dan Slee
Dec 14, 2004, 08:39

Scruffy Sandwell taxi drivers are to be ordered to smarten up their act and drive silver-coloured cars under new regulations being brought into the borough.

Cab and private hire operators will be asked to wear a collared shirt with the operator's logo on view. And a single colour for cars will also be phased in with all new vehicles to be silver after April 2006.

Each vehicle may also have to install a £250 meter as part of the new regulations drawn up after more than 12-months of talks.

The plans will go before the cabinet of Sandwell Council tomorrow (Wednesday).

Councillor Keith Davies, cabinet member for community, said that many drivers and operators were not happy with talk of new regulations.

But he believes there is nothing in the proposals which would be controversial.

He said: "There have been a lot of fears expressed but I do not think there is anything in there for people to be worried about.

"It's all about getting public confidence in the idea of using private hire. We want to make it the second option after public transport."

The new approach has been drawn up after extensive talks with black cab and private hire drivers, members of the public and West Midlands Police as well as the Suzy Lamplugh trust which campaigns for personal safety.

An illuminated roof sign with a Sandwell Council logo must also be displayed from October next year, as part of the new approach.

Cars must be no older than five years from April 2006 if the licence is to be renewed and eight years if they are a fresh application.

The moves have been given a guarded welcome by operators. Val Lalley, of West Bromwich-based A1 Sandwell Taxis, said she thought the new regulations were fair as they stood.

However, the new measures have been attacked by Brian Coles of Gordon's Taxis of West Bromwich who said it was crazy.

I havent read the dress conditions that this council have laid down but if what you say is correct then I am very surprised that the CAB Trade in Sandwell have accepted them without a fight.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:21 pm 

I suppose it all depends on who says they represent the local trade.

In my area the operators think they are the top dogs. So if the same applies in Sandwell, then councillors will think the ops views (who presumably want their drivers to look better), are the trade views. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:29 pm 

Little grey pleated skirts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:04 pm 

It would appear that the article was a tad over the top. Have a look at the report to members and see if you agree.

http://cmis.sandwell.gov.uk/CMISWebPubl ... ment=10154

I like the idea of PH signage and roof-lights, but methinks they are on dodgy grounds insisting that PH have meters. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:53 pm 

Sussex wrote:
It would appear that the article was a tad over the top. Have a look at the report to members and see if you agree.

http://cmis.sandwell.gov.uk/CMISWebPubl ... ment=10154

I like the idea of PH signage and roof-lights, but methinks they are on dodgy grounds insisting that PH have meters. :shock:

if they are getting PH signage and roof-lights then why bother with having them all the same colour as well?

rest of it seems fair enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:27 pm 

Silver cars??? Hmmm, now what does that remind me of?

Oh yes......I think the BBC have some for sale....