Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:18 pm 

Man lost leg after parking row

Ian Anderson had to give up work as a taxi driver after losing his leg
A taxi driver lost a leg after he was allegedly run over by a pensioner in a road rage incident over a parking space, Swansea Crown Court has heard.
Leslie Peach, 67, from West Cross, Swansea, is accused of deliberately knocking down Ian Anderson, 62, from Killay, Swansea, in November 2003.

The retired jeweller denies inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent.

Doctors were unable to save Mr Anderson's broken leg and it was later amputated. The case continues.

The court was told that Mr Anderson had driven to a newsagents in Uplands, Swansea, to buy chocolate for his granddaughter.

He told the court that, as he parked his car, Mr Peach drew up beside him and said: "You've taken my parking space."

Mr Anderson stepped out of his car and walked in front of Mr Peach's car to cross the road to the shop. He said the car suddenly shot forward and touched his leg.

The taxi driver said he lost his temper and asked Mr Peach "what he was playing at," and whether he was "trying to kill me or something".

Leslie Peach denies deliberately hurting Mr Anderson
Mr Anderson said he tried to push himself off the bonnet but the car kept moving and his left foot became trapped under the wheel.

He then fell backwards and hit his head on the road, while the car allegedly moved forward over his left foot and leg.

Mr Anderson said: "I could feel the bones going, I could feel my leg breaking.

"He ran over my leg up to my knee. I thought he was going to kill me."

Surgeons were not able to save Mr Anderson's leg and it was amputated above the knee.

Chris Clee, prosecuting, said Mr Anderson was able to remember part of the car's registration number and police traced a Vauxhall Astra to Mr Peach's wife, Joan.

Tests on the nearside tyre showed the tread matched a mark on Mr Anderson's trousers.

The court was told that Mr Peach refused to answer questions during police interviews but claimed in a written statement that he was miles away at the time of the incident.

An examination of the registration mark, which left out the first and last letters, showed that only Mr Peach's car matched in south and west Wales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:02 am 
christ if that happened to me I would be hopping mad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:40 am 

Not very politically correct remark there Yorkie.

I mean, if you were taken to task for it then you wouldn't have a leg to stand on :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:13 am 
No chance of him doing a runner then???