Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:44 pm 

A man found dead in the boot of a car at a Derbyshire railway station had been shot, police have revealed.

Stuart Ludlam, 43, was found in the boot of his taxi on Thursday at Cromford railway station, near Matlock.

The father-of-three, who lived in Darley Dale, had also been beaten before being put into the vehicle.

Detectives are trying to trace the movements of Mr Ludlam's silver Ford Focus estate, registration Y503 OYG, in the hour before he was found.

They declined to say whether they believed he had been targeted by his killer.

Family tribute

Officers want to speak to three people seen in the area.

Two men were on the platform of Cromford railway station, which is just off Lea Road, at about noon on Thursday, and a man of Eastern European or Turkish origin spotted nearby two hours before Mr Ludlam's body was found.

Mr Ludlam's wife's uncle, Len Cooper, visited the station on Sunday to lay flowers among the other floral tributes left at the scene.

Mr Cooper, 65, said: "Stuart was a lovely chap, and he would do anything for anybody. He would always help people with their shopping, and he'll be sorely missed, especially by the kids.

"We have no idea why this has happened, and we only know what the police tell his wife. We didn't find out until yesterday, and we only thought he had been mugged

BBC NEWS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:47 pm 

Police release more details following Cromford murder
Police investigating the murder of a man in Cromford have released more details about the incident.

Officers can officially name the victim as Stuart Ludlam (43) of Darley Dale. He was found dead in his car on Thursday afternoon. (September 17th 2009)

Mr Ludlam, who was married with three children aged two, 12 and 17, worked for Middleton-by-Wirksworth based MJ Taxis.

A post mortem examination has revealed that he died as a result of being shot with a firearm.

Detectives are keen to trace Mr Ludlam's last known movements on Thursday.

He was last seen at around 11:40am by work colleagues in Middleton-by-Wirksworth.

Just over an hour later he was found dead in his Ford Focus estate car on the approach road to Cromford Railway Station.

The car is silvery-green coloured with a taxi sign on the roof and marked MJ Taxis on the side. The vehicle's registration is YS03 OYG.

Chief Superintendent Peter Lewis, who's in charge of policing in the Derbyshire Dales and High Peak, said: "We want to piece together where Mr Ludlam was in that hour on Thursday so we can pinpoint his movements and want to speak to anyone who saw him or his vehicle during that time.

"The investigation is still in its infancy and as of yet we are unable to establish a motive for the killing.

"It was an horrific act with an extreme level of violence used. I acknowledge there will be concern in the local community but I want to reassure people that we are doing everything possible to bring the person or people responsible for this crime to justice.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the many members of the public who have contacted us about this incident so far and encourage anyone who hasn't to make a call to the police or to Crimestoppers anonymously.

"This is an active investigation and we must all keep an open mind at this stage as to what was behind this murder."

Police are keen to trace a number of people who were in the area on Thursday morning.

Two white men were seen on the platform at Cromford station at around midday. The first is described as being of large build with short hair and wearing a light coloured baseball cap and light coloured top.

He was in his late thirties to early forties, around 5ft 10ins tall and clean shaven.

The second man with him was of medium build with dark shortish hair and in his mid forties. He wore dark clothing.

A third man was also seen at around 9:45am in the vicinity of Lea Road walking alongside the river towards Cromford.

He was of Eastern European appearance in his early to mid thirties, medium build, 5ft 6ins tall with short jet black hair. He had a thin face and was wearing baggy light coloured trousers and a loose fitting jacket.

Ch. Supt Lewis added: "These men were seen in the area at the time and may be able to give us additional information, as witnesses that we don't already have."

An incident room has been set up at Ripley and anyone with information is asked to contact Derbyshire police on 0345 123 33 33 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:21 pm 
Been down there today on the motorbike, I paid a visit to the Station where he was found, it's only a few miles outside Matlock so I thought I'd pay a visit. I got a £5 bunch of flowers from the local Garage as a mark of respect to the Taxi Driver who lost his life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:44 am 

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 841853.ece

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:42 am 

This is shocking news and of course very sad. My heart goes out to his family :cry:

Quote:
“I don’t think it would have been a robbery, because he would have just started working and had very few takings.”

I don't think this can be ruled out as a motive cos the culprit/s would not necessarily be aware that he had only just started his shift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:08 pm 

toots wrote:
This is shocking news and of course very sad. My heart goes out to his family :cry:

Quote:
“I don’t think it would have been a robbery, because he would have just started working and had very few takings.”

I don't think this can be ruled out as a motive cos the culprit/s would not necessarily be aware that he had only just started his shift.

ffs hiya shoestring :wink:

If you read the threads on this case you'll see the people responsible could be business rivals :shock:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:14 am 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

Quote:

ffs hiya shoestring :wink:

If you read the threads on this case you'll see the people responsible could be business rivals :shock:

CC

Exactly....it implys "could be business rivals"...that doesnt mean it was though. ffs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:04 pm 

CROMFORD MURDER: Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Stuart Ludlam

A MAN from Derby has been arrested on suspicion of murdering taxi driver Stuart Ludlam.

Officers arrested a man in Derby on Tuesday September 22 and he is being questioned about the death.

Stuart Ludlam, 43, of Darley Dale, was found dead in his car on Thursday September 17.

Chf Supt Peter Lewis, who is leading the investigation, thanked everyone who has come forward with information.

He said: "As a result of assistance from the media and the public, we have been given information which has provided us with several new lines of enquiry.

"We are still piecing together Mr Ludlam's movements on the day of his death and want to speak to anyone who saw him or his vehicle."

Mr Ludlam, who was married with three children aged two, 12 and 15, worked for Middleton by Wirksworth-based MJ Taxis.

A post mortem examination has revealed he died from a gun shot wound.

Detectives are keen to trace Mr Ludlam's last known movements on Thursday.

He was last seen at around 11.40am by work colleagues in Middleton by Wirksworth.

An incident room has been set up at Ripley and anyone with information is asked to contact Derbyshire police on 0345 123 33 33 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:28 pm 
Glad they've got someone but something is telling me that they have got the wrong man if they've made an arrest this quick, I hope they have got the right man and they feed him to the dogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:37 pm 

Well,Derby CID were on the ranks in the city today taking all our details,asking if we went to Cromford Thursday etc.The officer even rang me back tonight to check a couple of details like did I have friends/relations in the Cromford/Matlock area and if my cab was fitted with a tracking device.
Seems like they are taking the 'Taxi wars' theory seriously.I was told by the police that the deceased had been informed 'he was a dead man walking'.

As a background,the Matlock area which is covered by Derbyshire Dales council has been flooded by 'outsiders' these past few years.I believe they are mainly Asians from Derby.Having met some of these drivers at the Download concert at Donington(Monsters of Rock for the oldies amongst us)they freely admitted that they had got badges there as there was at the time no knowledge test and they couldn't pass one in Derby!

Obviously this has caused friction with the long serving local drivers and one can only hope this isn't really why 3 kids have lost their Dad and a lady her husband.
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:23 pm 

Man arrested in connection with taxi driver death is released without charge

A MAN arrested in connection with the death of Derbyshire taxi driver Stuart Ludlam has been released without charge.

The 32-year-old was arrested in Derby yesterday and was quizzed by detectives investigating the death of Mr Ludlam, of Darley Dale.

He was released by Derbyshire police this afternoon.

The body of father-of-three Mr Ludlam was found in the boot of his Ford Focus estate taxi outside Cromford railway station last Thursday.

A post-mortem examination had revealed he had died of a gun shot wound.

The latest development in the case came as friends of Mr Ludlam announced details of a public tribute in his memory, which is due to take place in Matlock this weekend.

Since his death, more than 1,250 people have joined a group set up in his memory on the social networking website Facebook.

Some members of the group have organised a gathering near the Co-op store, in Bakewell Road, Matlock, on Saturday afternoon.

It will include a procession of taxis, which will sound their horns after a two-minute silence at 3pm.

One organiser, who asked not to be named, said: "The tribute is really about pulling together as a community, letting people grieve and showing our support to the family.

"We have chosen to hold the tribute at 3pm because Stuart was a massive Derby County fan and that is kick-off time.

"We also want people to wear their own Rams shirts to the tribute."

Friends of Mr Ludlam have also called for a plaque to be installed in his memory outside the Bakewell Road taxi rank.

Floral tributes have been left at Cromford railway station, and include messages from Mr Ludlam's three children, Jonathan, 15, Matthew, 12, and two-year-old Aimee.

Chief Superintendent Peter Lewis, who is in charge of policing Derbyshire Dales, thanked members of the public who had given officers information.

He said: "As a result of assistance from the media and the public, we have been given information which has provided us with several new lines of inquiry.

"We are still piecing together Mr Ludlam's movements on the day of his death and want to speak to anyone who saw him or his vehicle."

Mystery surrounds what happened to Mr Ludlam, of Yew Tree Close, in the hour leading up to his death.

He was last seen leaving the offices of Wirksworth-based MJ's Taxis at 11.40am on Thursday, driving his silvery-green estate.

Radio and telephone contact with him was then lost for about an hour before his body was found in the secluded station car park, in Lea Road.

A passer-by spotted the 43-year-old's body and called police. Mr Ludlam was pronounced dead at the scene.

On Monday, police said they were keen to trace two white men seen on the station platform in the hour before Mr Ludlam's body was found.

One was of large build, with short hair. He was wearing a light-coloured baseball cap and light top, in his late-30s to early-40s, about 5ft 10ins tall and clean shaven.

The second was of medium build, with dark, short hair, in his mid-40s and wearing dark clothing.

Officers were also looking for another man, seen at about 9.45am walking along the river towards Cromford. He was of Eastern European or Turkish appearance, in his early to mid-30s, of medium build, 5ft 6ins tall with short, jet black hair.

He had a thin face and was wearing baggy, light-coloured trousers and a loose-fitting jacket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:04 pm 

Taxi death court case

A 61-YEAR-OLD man has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Darley Dale taxi driver Stuart Ludlam.

Colin Cheetham, of no fixed address, appeared in Nottingham Crown Court on Friday February 26 via video-link.

Cheetham also denied possession of a prohibited weapon and possession of a firearm.

Andrew Brough, 56, of Hunt Avenue, Heanor, who was also charged in connection with Mr Ludlam's death, entered no plea to assisting an offender, possession of illegal ammunition and firearms offences.
The case was adjourned for trial in June.

Mr Ludlam, 43, was found dead in his car at around 12.40pm on Thursday September 17 on the approach road to Cromford Railway Station.

The trial is set to last between eight and ten days due to the large quantity of forensic and ballistic reports.

http://www.matlockmercury.co.uk/news/Ta ... 6119639.jp