Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:00 am 

Mobile-phone cabbie who hit couple walks free

A taxi driver who hit two elderly pedestrians while talking on a mobile phone has walked free from court.

Cabbie Abdul Salam ploughed into Marjorie and James Robinson on a light-controlled crossing in Sunderland city centre.

Mrs Robinson was left badly bruised by the impact and needed abrasions cleaned under general anaesthetic.

Her husband suffered an injury to his knee and a suspected broken rib.
Salam, of Eden House Road, Eden Vale, admitted dangerous driving.

Prosecutor Michael Graham told Newcastle Crown Court that Salam, 48, had picked up a fare in his eight-seater Mercedes in the city at about 2pm on April 27, last year.

Mr Graham added: "The two passengers in the car became concerned because the defendant was using his mobile phone during the course of the journey. One was about to speak to him because of her concerns."

The court heard before the worried customer could speak out Salam went through a red light and hit the couple.

Mr Graham said: "Mr and Mrs Robinson were struck by the defendant's vehicle.

"The passengers within the vehicle speak of the defendant dropping his phone immediately on collision taking place."

Salam was arrested but claimed in interview he had been speaking on a hands-free kit when the accident happened, though no such device was found inside the cab.

Alec Burns, defending, handed to the court a bundle of references to Salam's previous positive character.

Mr Burns said; "I have never seen so many references for a person.

"He is of exemplary good character with not even a point on his licence until this.

"He apologises through me for what happened and has shown genuine remorse and indeed distress over the injuries he caused to these unfortunate people."

Mr Burns said as a result of the offence Salam, who is sole provider for his wife and four children, has lost his career of 20 years.

Judge Guy Whitburn sentenced Salam to a community order for two years with 250 hours unpaid work and a four month curfew.

Salam was banned from driving for 12 months and was warned he must pass an extended test before he can get back behind the wheel.

source: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:52 pm 
6 months inside and a 18 month ban would have been right IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:01 pm 

Quote:
Salam was arrested but claimed in interview he had been speaking on a hands-free kit when the accident happened, though no such device was found inside the cab.

Quote:
The passengers within the vehicle speak of the defendant dropping his phone immediately

Quote:
"He is of exemplary good character with not even a point on his licence until this.

Lying bast**d..... Caught out at last it seems to me, but at the cost of what? Could have been manslaughter!!

Blue chip phone's and kit are relatively cheap these days, what is their excuse? His family suffer for his stupidity and ineptitude..... :-|

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:57 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Judge Guy Whitburn sentenced Salam to a community order for two years with 250 hours unpaid work and a four month curfew.

Salam was banned from driving for 12 months and was warned he must pass an extended test before he can get back behind the wheel.

I think the judge got it right.

Thankfully there were no long term injuries, the chap had a clean record, and was deemed to be of good character. He has lost his job, wont be able to go out at any time between, say, 8.00pm and 6.00am, and wont be able to drive for at least a year.

And have to work 250 hours for nothing with the local scallys. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:37 pm 

Can't see, from the information provided, any reason for the curfew.

Am I missing something?

(Am I missing something? - that gives an opening to lots of witty comments.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:42 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
Can't see, from the information provided, any reason for the curfew.

A punishment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:02 pm 

By lying about using his hands free then that's also a case of perverting the course of justice isn't it. So what's the difference from the lady taxi driver who ended up with a sentence. Being the sole provider for a family should not give him the right to be above the law compared to a family who have 2 providers getting of their behind to earn a crust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:14 pm 

dagger wrote:
By lying about using his hands free then that's also a case of perverting the course of justice isn't it.

He wasn't charged with that, so the judge couldn't decide on it.

Was there a case? Not sure there was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:39 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I personally think a jail sentance appropriate BUT having heard the stories on the radio today of muslim gangs controlling prisons maybe it would be better to keep him out of jail

there are a number of drivers round here that don't use hands free which is ridiculous I don't use bluetooth but can pick up a good quality hands free for £9.99 which will last me about 10 to 12 months thats not a lot and with the phone set to autoanswer both hands can stay firmly on the wheel

there really isn't any legitimate excuse for not having hands free I just hope they don't ban the use of them as happens in some parts of the world