Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:47 pm 

TAXI DRIVERS WILL STEP UP BATTLE AGAINST COUNCIL Jan 27 2005

By MARC McLEAN

TAXI drivers have revealed they considered an all-out strike in their battle against plans to make all cabs wheelchair-friendly.

But they have decided to pursue other routes against West Dunbartonshire Council bosses and are seeking legal advice on whether they can take the local authority to court.

They have also backed moves to start petitions against orders that all 200 drivers must own wheelchair-friendly vehicles — costing up to £30,000 each — by 2009.

With fears the council move will put many of them out of business and no demand for a 100 per cent disabled conversion, taxi drivers are working on an action plan against the extreme measures.

West Dunbartonshire Council is determined to pursue Scottish Executive guidelines on taxi provision from 2009. However, nothing has been set in stone, and Dunbartonshire taxi drivers say they cannot understand why the local authority cannot reach some kind of compromise.

Almost 100 taxi drivers met last Thursday night to discuss their situation.

Billy Neeson, secretary of Alexandria and Dumbarton TOA, said: “None of us are happy with the council’s attitude and we have taken the decision to set up a trade committee to fight against these proposals.

“A lot of ideas have been put to us which we will have to consider.

“The council keeps talking about West Dunbartonshire being a deprived area and that we are depriving disabled people of facilities. Not every disabled person uses a wheelchair and I think the council has forgotten that.

“We will be contacting the Scottish Taxi Federation to get advice from their legal section on what options we have. If there is a legal case to be fought we will look at funding that.

“We are also considering stickers, similar to the Save Our Services at the Vale Hospital ones, to raise awareness of this issue.

“There was also talk of strike action but we wanted to look at all other options first. Stoppages — where every driver stops for a couple of hours at certain times — seem a more positive idea.

“We are getting a tremendous response from the public that they are unhappy about the decision the council has taken. Many have come to us and asked if there is a petition they can sign so that is a road we will go down.”

Meanwhile, pensioners and disabled people have told The Lennox that the council plans actually discriminate against them and have backed the taxi drivers in their fight.

Lily Kennedy, chairwoman of Vale of Leven Seniors Forum, said: “This is not a good move.

“These disabled-friendly taxis are really awkward to get into. I’ve been in one myself and the driver had to help me out.

“It’s not just the getting in that’s the problem, it’s getting out as well. If you miss your footing you are going down and that’s very dangerous for a pensioner.

“I can’t for the life of me understand West Dunbartonshire Council. There is no need for every taxi available to be converted into these disabled-friendly vehicles.

“I know many people who have ordered a taxi and when one of these vehicles arrived they refuse it and ask for a saloon taxi.

“Some pensioners might be quite bad with arthritis but can manage to get in and out of the saloon taxis.

“This is an issue which many pensioners feel really strongly about and if petitions are on the go they would certainly gain many signatures.

“The council says it is consulting with the community but it’s an absolute farce because they go away and do what they want to do. The council is simply not listening to the community.

“I’m not against provision for disabled people but there is no need for every vehicle to be a disabled-friendly taxi — it’s absurd.”

Balloch woman Helen Cochrane is now disabled after a bad fall seven years ago and relies on saloon cars to get out every day.

She said: “I can’t get in one of these big taxis. I have a bad spine, arthritis and can’t walk very far so I often have to order a saloon taxi.

“In fact I rely on about two taxis to go about my every day business.

“I’ve tried two or three times to get into one of the new taxis but I find it too difficult. It’s very hard for me to open and close the door and coming out is the worst. When you put your foot down you are going to fall and have to ask the driver to help you out.

“If these new wheelchair friendly taxis become the only ones available then I don’t know how I’m going to get anywhere.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:49 pm 

Has a cab strike ever gained anything? :?

Other than bad press, p***ed off punters, and a lot of happy non-striking cabbies. [-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:08 am 

It's a tough subject this one. I have only been in the taxi game for nearly 7 years and had to put on a w.a.v to get a license,as do all new taxi drivers. i didn't mind this because we were told all taxis were to be wheelchair accsessible by a certain time! but like councills do,they change their minds all the time and so far no date has been set leaving close to 200 drivers with wavs. the only gripe i have is with current saloon drivers upon renewing their vehicles getting to keep a saloon vehicle whilst when i decide to renew my cab i have to buy another wav!
the quicker they get this shambkes sorted out the better!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:10 am 
whizz wrote:
It's a tough subject this one. I have only been in the taxi game for nearly 7 years and had to put on a w.a.v to get a license,as do all new taxi drivers. i didn't mind this because we were told all taxis were to be wheelchair accsessible by a certain time! but like councills do,they change their minds all the time and so far no date has been set leaving close to 200 drivers with wavs. the only gripe i have is with current saloon drivers upon renewing their vehicles getting to keep a saloon vehicle whilst when i decide to renew my cab i have to buy another wav!
the quicker they get this shambkes sorted out the better!!

Sorry wizz
you aint a leg to stand on, the lead in period notice for buses and taxis is 15 years

buyer beware youve been had and should have been more wary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:35 am 

But they can do it at any time, as our friend's scenario proves.

Usual cowardly councillors, waiting for government so they can shift the blame.

Anyway, I don't think anything has been announced for Scotland yet (or anything final for England yet come to that), so it's probably best not to misinform people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:46 am 
TDO wrote:
But they can do it at any time, as our friend's scenario proves.

Usual cowardly councillors, waiting for government so they can shift the blame.

Anyway, I don't think anything has been announced for Scotland yet (or anything final for England yet come to that), so it's probably best not to misinform people.

for Scotland I am as ignorant as you dusty sunshine,

but for England the firat tranch of all the big councils have been published for 12 months and it was reported on here.

so there we are you are wrong yet again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:08 pm 

Yorkie wrote:

So why were you trying to advise someone in Scotland on the basis of the DfT announcement?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:14 pm 

Yorkie wrote:
but for England the firat tranch of all the big councils have been published for 12 months and it was reported on here.

Yes, and I wrote the report on here that you refer to, so I've a fair idea of what's in it.

As I said nothing FINAL has been announced, there's a lot further to go before it's set in stone, including a consultation. You presumably missed the word 'proposals' when the Govt made its announcement.

The announcement confused rather than clarified, and I suspect it was just rushed out for OFT to make it look as if the Govt was getting somewhere, whereas in fact they're years behind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:52 am 
TDO wrote:
Yorkie wrote:

So why were you trying to advise someone in Scotland on the basis of the DfT announcement?

I thought dumfriceshire was a council tip in Bournmouth,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:55 am 
TDO wrote:
Yorkie wrote:

Yes, and I wrote the report on here that you refer to, so I've a fair idea of what's in it.

As I said nothing FINAL has been announced, there's a lot further to go before it's set in stone, including a consultation. You presumably missed the word 'proposals' when the Govt made its announcement.

The announcement confused rather than clarified, and I suspect it was just rushed out for OFT to make it look as if the Govt was getting somewhere, whereas in fact they're years behind.

well a lot of councils are acting on it, missed the word proposals like many councils

whats the deck chair hirings like at the moment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:41 am 

The way I thought the dft in England and Wales were doing it was that by 2010 all first phase LA's should have a WAV policy in place, it then gives the trade a 10 year period to change vehicles.

Regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:51 pm 

captain cab wrote:
The way I thought the dft in England and Wales were doing it was that by 2010 all first phase LA's should have a WAV policy in place, it then gives the trade a 10 year period to change vehicles.

I suppose it all depends on what that WAV policy is. :shock:

It could be mandatory WAVs, or a WAV managed growth policy. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:01 pm 

Take Dundee a few miles down the road from me,know a few guys that the only way to get their own plates,was when the council opened the list to Wav vehicles.
Now over 200 wavs to look after 250 wheelchair users in the area,plus in the region of 400 saloons,plus a further 50-60 private hire.
City has 140,000 people.
OPEN THE LIST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:31 pm 

Quote:
Take Dundee a few miles down the road from me,know a few guys that the only way to get their own plates,was when the council opened the list to Wav vehicles.
Now over 200 wavs to look after 250 wheelchair users in the area,plus in the region of 400 saloons,plus a further 50-60 private hire.
City has 140,000 people.
OPEN THE LIST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So is that 600 hackneys to serve 140,000 people?

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:13 pm 
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

I suppose it all depends on what that WAV policy is. :shock:

It could be mandatory WAVs, or a WAV managed growth policy. :lol: :lol:

I have asked my council about the DDA implimentation, as we are named as a phase one council, they have no plans to remove the entitlement of the saloon licenceholders.

B. Lucky :twisted: