Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:06 am 

By aimi redfern aimi.redfern@thesentinel.co.uk

A TAXI driver has been arrested after a man and his stepson were in a collision with a cab as they crossed the road.

The 34-year-old man and 11-year-old boy collided with a private hire vehicle on a road running parallel to the westbound A50 in Longton yesterday.

The man suffered a serious head injury and damage to his leg, and police last night described him as "seriously ill". The boy was also in hospital with head and leg injuries, but he was stable.

The incident happened at about 2.20pm as the pair crossed the road near the junction with Heathcote Road.

Police said it was too early to say if they were using a pedestrian crossing, although there is a pelican crossing in the area.

Officers arrested the taxi driver, who is employed by Autocab Taxis, based in nearby Normacot Road, on suspicion of driving offences. He was being interviewed last night.

The road was closed and reopened at about 6pm.

A Staffordshire Police spokesman said: "The condition of the man, who suffered a head injury, is described as serious, while the boy's head and leg injuries are not thought to be life-threatening. It is too early to say whether or not they were using a pedestrian crossing, and that will form part of our investigation."

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: "The man was treated for a serious head injury and a leg injury. He was conveyed to University Hospital of North Staffordshire. The boy was treated for a leg injury before being conveyed to the same hospital."

Witnesses told The Sentinel they didn't think the pair had used the pedestrian crossing.

John Walters, aged 21, of Heathcote Road, said: "The guy had picked his son up from Edensor High.

"They started to cross the road at the junction and the taxi came down. They weren't using the crossing.

"I heard a thud. I ran over and the man was in a bad way. He was struggling to breathe. The lad had a bad leg wound."

His partner Kimberley Deakin, aged 26, said: "I called an ambulance straight away.

"It was horrendous. It's something you never want to see.

"It's so sad. The lad must only just have started at the school."

Neighbour Joe Bates, aged 84, said: "I was out when it happened, but when I came back the road was sealed off, and they were just letting residents down. There were loads of police and an ambulance, and the air ambulance."

Asman Ulhaq director of Autocabs, said he did not know the details of the incident. The 38-year-old added: "All I can say at the moment is I feel sorry for the family of the people injured and I hope they make a full recovery."

Witnesses are asked to contact Sergeant Ian Revans on 0300 123 44 55.

Taxi collision man 'critical'
A MAN who suffered serious head injuries after being in a collision with a taxi remains in a critical condition.

His 11-year-old stepson who was also hurt in the collision is out of hospital.

The pair were crossing a road when the incident happened at about 2.20pm on Wednesday.

Police and ambulance crews were called to the scene on the road running parallel to the A50 at Longton.

Specially-trained police officers are supporting the family of the 34-year-old man and the boy.

A 24-year-old man from the Stoke-on-Trent area, who was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving, has been bailed, pending further inquiries, to a date in November.

Witnesses are asked to contact Sergeant Ian Revans at Longton police on 0300 123 44 55 quoting incident number 323 of September 8.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/news/Taxi-collision-man-critical/article-2628665-detail/article.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:52 am 
Sounds bad, I hope he pulls through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:46 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
here's hoping they both make a full recovery it sounds as if the taxi may have had little time to see them and avoid the collision

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:33 pm 

Its Always the driver thats arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving...that is so wrong, they should only arrest the driver if its a near certainty that they were at fault...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:04 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I think the police do it as a matter of routine its easier to arrest them at the scene than to find them later and recollections of what happened are fresher in the mind