Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:03 pm 

Move to stop taxis using bus lane

COUNCILLORS are being urged to think twice about allowing taxis to use a Huddersfield bus lane. A meeting of Kirklees Cabinet next Wednesday is due to approve the move for Wakefield Road and Penistone Road. It follows an 18-month test.

But Dalton Labour councillor Peter McBride says the move would be a recipe for disaster. He added: "This is ridiculous. No other district in West Yorkshire allows this. So why Kirklees? "Many of these vehicles are not clearly marked and if other drivers see them in the bus lane they're going to try it. "The whole thing will become very difficult to police."

Both Metro and the police had expressed their reservations, said Clr McBride. "Anybody who says taxis are public transport is out of their mind, quite frankly. "Why is it right that a taxi carrying only one passenger should be allowed to use a bus lane, but not a people carrier with six or eight people in it?"

A report to the Cabinet said 86% of residents were in favour of the move. It added there had been no adverse effects from the trial, although there had been a small rise in non-taxi accidents during the period.

Clr Ann Denham, the Cabinet member with responsibility for environment and highways, said: "Taxis are another means of enabling people to get out and about. "Provided they are clearly marked, they should be allowed to continue to use this bus lane."

The Kirklees Hackney Carriage Association said that if taxis could use the bus lane it would save passengers time and money.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:10 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Move to stop taxis using bus lane

COUNCILLORS are being urged to think twice about allowing taxis to use a Huddersfield bus lane. A meeting of Kirklees Cabinet next Wednesday is due to approve the move for Wakefield Road and Penistone Road. It follows an 18-month test.

But Dalton Labour councillor Peter McBride says the move would be a recipe for disaster. He added: "This is ridiculous. No other district in West Yorkshire allows this. So why Kirklees? "Many of these vehicles are not clearly marked and if other drivers see them in the bus lane they're going to try it. "The whole thing will become very difficult to police."

Both Metro and the police had expressed their reservations, said Clr McBride. "Anybody who says taxis are public transport is out of their mind, quite frankly. "Why is it right that a taxi carrying only one passenger should be allowed to use a bus lane, but not a people carrier with six or eight people in it?"

A report to the Cabinet said 86% of residents were in favour of the move. It added there had been no adverse effects from the trial, although there had been a small rise in non-taxi accidents during the period.

Clr Ann Denham, the Cabinet member with responsibility for environment and highways, said: "Taxis are another means of enabling people to get out and about. "Provided they are clearly marked, they should be allowed to continue to use this bus lane."

The Kirklees Hackney Carriage Association said that if taxis could use the bus lane it would save passengers time and money.

So much for integrated Transport?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:17 pm 

I could get very political and say that the Labour councillor is acting to type by disagreeing with 86% of his residents, but I wont. :wink:

I could point out his utter stupidity in saying that the vehicles aren't marked. I wonder if he realises who actually deems what markings should be on cabs and PH. :-k

I could also point out that's it's his Labour governement that says we are public transport, but of course him being a councillor is fully aware of that. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:27 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I could get very political and say that the Labour councillor is acting to type by disagreeing with 86% of his residents, but I wont. :wink:

I could point out his utter stupidity in saying that the vehicles aren't marked. I wonder if he realises who actually deems what markings should be on cabs and PH. :-k

I could also point out that's it's his Labour governement that says we are public transport, but of course him being a councillor is fully aware of that. :shock:

I have yet to see a sound "working" practical definition of integrated transport. It's a fanciful concept but without subsidies I doubt it will ever work. Thats why section 12 of 1985 act hasn't taken off.

Regards

JD