Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:23 am 

SPEED CAMERA PROTEST THIS WEEK
Article from Simon Jenkins, Middlesex, 26.4.2005 2:33

Dear all, having been an avid biker, and car driver for many a good few years I have stumbled on a protest against the dreaded motorway speed cameras. It is going to kick off this coming Saturday 30th April, and already during its week old planning has receieved massive support.

It would be fantastic to see a representative group of black cab drivers taking part in this sensible protest against the revenue generating, scamming and lying grey money boxes that adorn nearly every bloody street. We strongly believe that these new breed of motorway cameras are dangerous and will cause fatalities on our motorway network if allowed to procede unhindered. What we are campaigning against is the revenue that is generated is not being ploughed back into the road systems, there are less Police available and we would like a higher standard of driver training. Putting up thousands of speed cameras is not the way forward and statistics available prove this. Fot details, please see the hyperlinks at the bottom of the page for further information.

We are looking for as many people to attend and 'occupy' lanes 1 and 2 of the M4 motorway (we have heard that they may also do a 'London' visit too) to crawl along at 56mph, stickered up and nicely in the face of the government before election time :)

What we don't want is wreckless abandon, with nut cases giving cause to the old bill for protest - it needs to be squeaky clean for us to get our point across - no worries from black cabs then. So far there has been massive support from everyone from bikers, truckers, to all petrolheads that share a life long enthusiam to safe motoring of any sort. Enough is enough and this is the first kick back opportunity so far. If this is a success more will follow. Media are aware and will be present.

Details are here:

http://www.m4protest.org/

http://www.pistonheads.com/speed/defaul ... ryId=10447

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/

Sorry for the long post on your boards.

Be safe guys and thank you for taking the time to read this.

Regards,

Simon Jenkins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:02 am 

That should be interesting.

As for the camera, doesn't the AA and RAC say that the camera causes danger by making all the vehicles bunch up when passing it.

So they get rid of speeding, but encourage tailgating. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:39 am 

Simondo wrote:
It would be fantastic to see a representative group of black cab drivers taking part in this sensible protest against the revenue generating, scamming and lying grey money boxes that adorn nearly every bloody street.

Thats no way to talk about minicabs. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:24 pm 

I'd have joined in by my Cab is Silver. That's too close to grey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:10 pm 

good luck to them i say, but will any of them actully be able to get up to 56mph on a bank holiday weekend? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:24 am 

DIESEL 90 pence plus per litre can we afford to drive up and down the motorway protesting :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:53 pm 

tcabbie wrote:
DIESEL 90 pence plus per litre can we afford to drive up and down the motorway protesting :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Only with punters in. :D