Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:40 pm 

They are trying to tell those that care, that the E7 has more or less the same running costs as the TX2s. :lol:

http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk/pc ... 202005.pdf

But rest assured, the report has, after years of study, came to the glorious conclusion (14 b) that costs might rise, or they might reduce. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:34 am 

Why is it that the only people who believe the E7 is dearer to run than a TX2 are those that have never, nor will ever, have driven a cab? :-k

Providing the vehicle is deemed safe, let those that pay for, and drive, the bloody things decide if there fit for the job.

Not pen pushers living in their ivory towers. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:29 am 

Sussex wrote:
Why is it that the only people who believe the E7 is dearer to run than a TX2 are those that have never, nor will ever, have driven a cab? :-k

Providing the vehicle is deemed safe, let those that pay for, and drive, the bloody things decide if there fit for the job.

Not pen pushers living in their ivory towers. :sad:

Reading the report I get the impression the long term concern is that if they allow the E7 in London then the gates will be open for every other type of vehicle. I don't have an opinion on it but I do believe choice should be an overriding factor for the cab Trade no matter where it be.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:52 am 
I think they will allow the alternatives.
But im not really sure if they will last as long as the fairways and txs.
but then again im not really sure how the fairways and txs last as long as they do.
because they are a pile of rubbish. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:43 am 

Cgull wrote:
I think they will allow the alternatives.
But im not really sure if they will last as long as the fairways and txs.
but then again im not really sure how the fairways and txs last as long as they do.
because they are a pile of rubbish. :shock:

So they are 'a pile of rubbish'?

Is that your expert view (I believe you are a PH driver) or are you throwing it in just to provoke more discussion on the subject?

Given that most of the Fairways see at least 15 years service and 500'000 miles it kind of goes, ever so slightly, against your statement that they are 'rubbish'.

Overpriced? yes.

The early version of the Ford engined TX2, problematic? yes.

But not 'rubbish'.

I share JD's view about letting the E7 in, but then perhaps to be followed by say a Fiat Doblo? then even perhaps saloon manufacturers crying out about European legislation and equal trading rights in London.

Competition for LTI will arrive one day, be it through the courts or by wauy of the review, the concern is the London Taxi trade is visualy distinctive from the second tier Private Hire trade, if we start inter breeding the vehicles we may well end up with a situation that appeared in a Kent town recently, where an E7, complete with roof sign and for hire lighting, was licensed as a PH vehicle.

I'm sure the Minicab trade would relish the thought of their members not only being licensed, but driving vehicles that look like 'real' Taxi's as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:34 pm 

I believe Mr Cgull is as much a cab driver as you are. I also believes he works in an area that allows drivers to choose which WAV vehicle they drive, not civil servants.

As a PH driver, taxi customer, and breather of air, I can't imagine being driven in anything worse than a Fairway, or TX.

The Fairways are from the dark ages, and the only reason drivers have them is because they are (at the moment) too expensive to replace.

I saw a G reg one today, and as Mr Cgull eloquenty said, it was a pile of poo. Thankfully PH down here don't have to put up with such rubbish. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:23 am 

Sussex wrote:
The Fairways are from the dark ages, and the only reason drivers have them is because they are (at the moment) too expensive to replace.

No the Fairways are from 1998 when the last ones were sold, thats an R reg in old money, so me reckons thats about the average age (some younger some older) of a London Minicab.

I drive a Fairway, 1990, H, and the only reason I have not replaced it is

1. It runs and looks as shiney as it did when I bought it. (2nd hand)

2. Until the review comes out i'm keeping my £30k locked up in a high intrest account until I decide what to do when the euro 3 upgrade is required.

3. Unlike your car Sussex, mine is stripped down and nearly rebuilt every 12 months at the cost of £1k +, so mechanicaly it may even better than yours after its test. (whatever that may be?)

4. As you point out, we have no choice of manufacturer, so until we do I see little point in trying to suggest that London drivers deliberatley run 'bad' taxi's.

On a better note, took a fare down to Southampton Docks tonight from the Waldorf!! (in the Fairway)

Many thanks to SouthWest Trains for stopping at Midnight! :lol: