Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:09 pm 

Having read your response Mr TDO you do make some very valid & persuasive points

Perhaps the reason I take the views I have is due to the fact I operate in an area where we do indeed have what many would consider an authoritarian licensing regime which does not involve the trade in decision making & rides rough shot over any alternative views that may be expressed

All the best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:27 pm 

To be honest I probably took a view more like your own when I started in the trade, but I've changed to the other end now.

I think my perspective just comes from thinking that tough regulation is good for the trade, in terms of image, driver earnings, a level playing field etc.

So I call it something like requiring high standards, you call it authoritarianism, but these viewpoints essentially reflect our views on how we think the trade should be regulated.

Thus neither view could be considered the correct one, but my opinion is very firmly held :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:44 am 

TDO wrote:
To be honest I probably took a view more like your own when I started in the trade, but I've changed to the other end now.

That must have been when you were more Militant then? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:48 am 

TDO wrote:
Your comment about authoritarian civil servants ordering people about is also interesting - I suspect GBC would take a similar view if a dress code was introduced in London, but as regards the Knowledge of London I suspect he has no problem with authoritarian civil servants ordering people about :lol:

Erm 'authoritarian civil servants ordering people about' ? If you mean about a dozen licensed Taxi drivers (7 ex- Met) testing potential London Taxi drivers?, then nope no problem. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:01 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
TDO wrote:

That must have been when you were more Militant then? :wink:

:lol: To be honest it was probably more a case of not really being bothered, and not having thought about things much :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:03 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
TDO wrote:
Your comment about authoritarian civil servants ordering people about is also interesting - I suspect GBC would take a similar view if a dress code was introduced in London, but as regards the Knowledge of London I suspect he has no problem with authoritarian civil servants ordering people about :lol:

Erm 'authoritarian civil servants ordering people about' ? If you mean about a dozen licensed Taxi drivers (7 ex- Met) testing potential London Taxi drivers?, then nope no problem. :wink:

Just as as I thought :D

Is the one that no one likes still there, I mean the one in the BBC2 documentary who was portrayed as a bit...err...authoritarian?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:03 pm 

TDO wrote:
:lol: To be honest it was probably more a case of not really being bothered, and not having thought about things much :-k

Sort of the 'Wilderness years'. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:24 am 

TDO wrote:
Just as as I thought :D

Is the one that no one likes still there, I mean the one in the BBC2 documentary who was portrayed as a bit...err...authoritarian?

You had two notorious ones, John Orme, who had a parrot in the office, I knew John from a previous life, a nice bloke if you knew him, but feared by the knowledge boys.

Then, if I remember correctly, Findlay, the scottish guy was fearured as he was retiring that year.
He was a strange one, if ever there was one.

Nigel Hawthorne based his character on him during the film 'The Knowledge', sadly both have left, John Orme now teaching at a Knowledge School.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:15 am 

Yes, it was Mr Orme I was thinking of - I can't really remember any of the others from the documentary, and there were certainly none that were portrayed as being as feared as Mr Orme.