Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Scrooge or sensible?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:58 pm 

Taxi firm refuses ill child trip to hospital

A Mid Wales grandmother was left panicking when a taxi firm refused to take her and her ill grandson to hospital because they "didn't like the road".

Sheila Pop-Rhiann, 70, was looking after her three-year-old grandson Andreas, in Leighton, near Welshpool, when he began complaining of chest pains and wheezing.

The disabled pensioner decided to call for help.

When the pains continued into the evening she rang NHS Direct, who said he could be developing an asthma attack and advised her to take him to hospital.

But when she phoned Welshpool-based Amber Taxis explaining the situation was urgent they still refused to collect them.

The firm said they were not prepared to go because on a previous occasion a taxi driver had his exhaust pipe knocked off.

Mrs Pop-Rhiann, said she could not believe the attitude of the taxi company.

"My daughter gets asthma and had it very bad as a child. He was coughing and wheezing and when my daughter is going to have an asthma attack she has chest pains as well so I was very worried," she said.

"I spoke to NHS Direct, who have helped us before and really are brilliant, and the nurse spoke to him and listened to him and said he should go to hospital.

"When I phoned Amber Taxis they said they wouldn't come up even though I said there had been repairs done to the road and explained why I needed one but they still wouldn't come. Fortunately he is much better now but it could have been an emergency. It was a very unfeeling attitude."

She added that Stonebridge Taxis came straight away after she called them.

Colin Smith, of Amber Taxis, said: "Everytime we go up there, someone has an exhaust knocked off our cars so that's why we wouldn't do it. If it was an emergency she could have called an ambulance."

Andreas' mother Heidi, said she was "absolutely disgusted" by Amber Taxis.

"They need naming and shaming," she said.

Do they not have such things as ambulances in Wales? :? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:02 am 
In rural areas it is often quicker by taxi

I too think the taxi firm is appauling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:02 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
In rural areas it is often quicker by taxi

I too think the taxi firm is appauling.
Spoken like a true philosopher!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:40 pm 

We are also quicker than ambulances usually. But you still have to wait two hours at A & E to get seen, so it does not matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:47 pm 

Andy7 wrote:
We are also quicker than ambulances usually. But you still have to wait two hours at A & E to get seen, so it does not matter.

I just think it's a bit rich the woman having a pop at the taxi firm, when it should have been an ambulance she called in the first place. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:21 pm 

Absolutely. And NHS Direct tell EVERYBODY to go to the hospital, but then tell you it isnt important enough for an ambulance. In my view, NHS Direct is just a placeebo administered by the politicians. If we got paid the average £18 a mile it costs to run Ambulances according to the NHS, then I say hang the exhaust pipe. But we dont.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:16 pm 
It is tough on the company isn't it.

They probably have a system that monitors incoming numbers and had a message come up saying no cars.

It is easy to hear this lady's case on this occasion but I bet there is some 'history' the story leaves out.