Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:44 pm 

Taxi chief must quit - drivers

TAXI drivers in Birmingham are bidding to drive out the head of their association, claiming he unfairly represents them. More than 600 drivers have signed a petition calling for Mohammed Rashid to step down as chairman of the Birmingham and Solihull Taxi Association.

Driver Irfaan Ahmed, who works at Birmingham Airport is hoping that he will be elected via a new ballot to take over the chairmanship from Mr Rashid, who has held the reins for the past five years. Mr Ahmed claims many drivers were unhappy Mr Rashid was re-elected earlier this month.

"We are really unhappy at his general handling of his position of authority as head of the association," said 44-year-old Mr Ahmed, from Sheldon. "The overwhelming majority of drivers, in excess of 900, have put their names to this petition calling for Mr Rashid to resign his position," he added. He added legal action was also being considered to force Mr Rashid to go.

Mr Rashid, aged 36, said: "So far as I'm concerned I have been voted chairman fair and square at our annual general meeting." At Wolverhampton Crown Court in April Mr Rashid, of Sparkhill, Birmingham, was ordered to carry out 100 hours unpaid labour as well as paying compensation and costs aftre he admitted assaulting his lover.

He declined to comment at the time, but today he said: "Regarding the court case, everyone has a past and I just want to put it all behind me and get on with representing the drivers as I have done for the last five years."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:45 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Taxi chief must quit - drivers

And there was me thinking members of the NTA/T&G had suddenly woken up. 8-[

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:05 pm 
same with all unions.
one bloke gets voted in by the handful of drivers that turn up to meeting.
then thinks he is god. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:42 pm 

I look forward to the fools running the LTDA being ousted. :D

But who are the bigger ones, the fools running it, or the fools that voted them in? :?

Ollie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:35 am 

Ollie wrote:
I look forward to the fools running the LTDA being ousted. :D

But who are the bigger ones, the fools running it, or the fools that voted them in? :?

Ollie

.... and why would the LTDA collapse then Ollie? Its been around for longer than you, and represents 8500 drivers.

Who represents you? That prat from Kenton who no ones ever heard of in the media?

You don't half talk [edited by admin], and thats even taking into consideration that your a minicab driver.

Sad, very sad.

PS, Bus Lanes? In your dreams, your still barred from the parks remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:11 pm 

Are you aware that excecutives from the LTDA (amongst others) would have been responsible for sanctioning all the impositions that are impossed upon London cab owners and drivers. Without any such an agreement the authorities would be unable to introduce any of their arbitrary rules for fear of being taken before the courts to answer for their actions - or alternatively they could find themselves being subjected to organised demonstrations by irrate owners and drivers from within the LTDA members, and supporting other non LTDA members...........think about that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:27 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:

Yet another piece of ancient law that protects your lot from fair competition. [-(

Ollie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:29 pm 

Ollie wrote:
greenbadgecabby wrote:

Yet another piece of ancient law that protects your lot from fair competition. [-(

Ollie

Nah, I would say your dreadful reputation protects our trade better than Royal Parks regulations.

Thanks. :wink: