Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:54 pm 

Checks find taxis 'unroadworthy'

More than half the taxis on Blackpool's roads were classed as unroadworthy in a crackdown by Lancashire Police.

Police and council licensing officials carried out spot checks on 29 taxis - both hackney carriages and private hire vehicles - as part of the crackdown.

During the inspections, 18 were deemed to be so unroadworthy that they were immediately taken off the road.

Problems included faults with the brakes, suspensions, engine leaks and lighting and seatbelt problems.

Ten other vehicles were issued with notices to have minor repair work undertaken.

Police are warning revellers to be alert to the danger of taxis that should not be on the road.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:57 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Problems included faults with the brakes, suspensions, engine leaks and lighting and seatbelt problems.

See I just can't work out why they don't have any money to fund such luxuries as these. :-k

How much are their plates again? Oh yeah, £45,000. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:44 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Sussex wrote:

See I just can't work out why they don't have any money to fund such luxuries as these. :-k

How much are their plates again? Oh yeah, £45,000. :shock:

See I get irritated by people who don't read the press report properly.
Go back to the bit where it says "[b]BOTH HACKNEY AND PH>
So how much is a PH plate in Blackpool.
If you read the article, it could concievably mean that the stop notices were issued to PH only.
Geez Sussex, you should be a journo... never let the truth get in the way of a good story, eh?

Your fixation with plate "values" is charming, but irrational.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:44 am 

How is it you hear all these story's of taxi's been taken off the road, as the are in such a bad state they are dangerous but you very rarely hear of accidents caused by dangerous taxi's. Could it be the police or who ever do the checks go a little over the top to justify their overtime in doing the road side stops.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:57 pm 

jimbo wrote:
If you read the article, it could concievably mean that the stop notices were issued to PH only.

Well I would hope those doing the checks know the difference between a big black pile of s***, and a Skoda/Mondeo/etc.

But anyone who has been to Blackpool in the last few years is only too aware that the state of most of the black cabs is an utter disgrace.

So my point stands i.e. too much money is spent on the plate, and next to nothing on the rest of the motor. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:48 pm 

Sussex wrote:
jimbo wrote:

Well I would hope those doing the checks know the difference between a big black pile of s***, and a Skoda/Mondeo/etc.

But anyone who has been to Blackpool in the last few years is only too aware that the state of most of the black cabs is an utter disgrace.

So my point stands i.e. too much money is spent on the plate, and next to nothing on the rest of the motor. :wink:

So how much is a PH plate in Blackpool?

What was the ratio of PH/ Hack issued with stop notices?

You give the black cabs three stars, I note. :roll:

So they can't be that bad :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:32 pm 

There was a time when minicabs were put to shame against the standards that the black cab boys met, now it's the other way around.

Just go to the 'flyer' and see the quality of the LPH, and compare them to the sheds being driven by members of the LTDA. :wink:

Ollie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:47 am 

Ollie wrote:
Just go to the 'flyer' and see the quality of the Non English speaking minicab drivers, who smell slightly, and generaly rip customers off.
Then compare them to the smart, knowledgeable London Taxi drivers who are members of the LTDA. :wink:

Ollie

Got to agree with that one Mr Clown. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:53 am 

Ollie wrote:
Just go to the 'flyer' and see the quality of the LPH

Would that be the touts inside the terminal?

Or the Minicabs parked in the NCP car park, because your clown from Stanmore once again failed in securing you a holding area?

Drink up and Brewerys spring to mind once again.

Honk Honk. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:31 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Checks find taxis 'unroadworthy'

More than half the taxis on Blackpool's roads were classed as unroadworthy in a crackdown by Lancashire Police.

Police and council licensing officials carried out spot checks on 29 taxis - both hackney carriages and private hire vehicles - as part of the crackdown.

During the inspections, 18 were deemed to be so unroadworthy that they were immediately taken off the road.

Ten other vehicles were issued with notices to have minor repair work undertaken.

Police are warning revellers to be alert to the danger of taxis that should not be on the road.

Do some digging on this one and you come up with interesting answers.

256 hacks./500 ph, in Blackpool. So Sussex, of the 18 stop notices, what was the ratio of Hack to PH? Don't know? didn't think so. So find out.
The answer might just surprise you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:36 pm 

jimbo wrote:

256 hacks./500 ph, in Blackpool. So Sussex, of the 18 stop notices, what was the ratio of Hack to PH? Don't know? didn't think so. So find out.

But then again it might not.

My eyes did not lie when I saw, and I rode in, the piles of s*** with Blackpool Hackney Carriage plates on the back.

As for the PH, well they looked just fine to me. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:24 pm 

Sussex wrote:
jimbo wrote:

But then again it might not.

My eyes did not lie when I saw, and I rode in, the piles of s*** with Blackpool Hackney Carriage plates on the back.

As for the PH, well they looked just fine to me. :wink:

Well they would, wouldn't they?

QUOTE:

"Although a premium is a clear indicator of higher than "market" profits, it is not necessarily an indicator of significant unmet demand"

Taken from the Halcrow report on Blackpool January 2005.

I bow to their superior knowledge.

And what were you doing in the back of a Blackpool cab if they are so S***Y? Couldn't you flag down a PH? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:14 am 

jimbo wrote:
"Although a premium is a clear indicator of higher than "market" profits, it is not necessarily an indicator of significant unmet demand"

And the Nottingham SUD survey, and another one I read recently from Halcrow said it was evidence of SUD.

In other words SUD surveys say what the council wants. Sort of piper and payer situation. :?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:59 am 

Sussex wrote:
jimbo wrote:

And the Nottingham SUD survey, and another one I read recently from Halcrow said it was evidence of SUD.

In other words SUD surveys say what the council wants. Sort of piper and payer situation. :?

Questions: What benefit do you think there is there for a council in colluding with plate holders in limiting or capping licenses. :?: :?:

Stops on PH/ Hacks in Blackpool. What was the ratio :?:

Why did you hire an "S***" Cab, when you could have called a PH :?:

Who asked for the Taxi safety checks :?:

Why are your answers always evasive, Mr. Sussex :?:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:00 pm 

jimbo wrote:
Questions: What benefit do you think there is there for a council in colluding with plate holders in limiting or capping licenses. :?: :?:

I tell you what, e-mail the 105 that presently restrict and ask them why they do.

Because you might get a better answer than the p*** poor justifications that I have seen. :wink: