Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Two less to worry about
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 45866
Location: 1066 Country
A would be private hire taxi driver with a string of convictions, including drink-driving and driving while banned, has been refused a licence. Ahmed Munir Bashir, of Newton Mearns, was denied a licence to drive a private hire car in Glasgow following police objections. Bashir wanted a licence for at least a year but the city's licensing chiefs heard he had a list of convictions stretching back 11 years.

Chief Inspector Barry Donaldson told a licensing hearing Bashir had a drink-driving conviction from 1994. Despite being disqualified, he flouted the ban and was caught by police on two separate occasions, in 1995 and 1997. Bashir was then caught speeding in 2004 and was again disqualified the same year. He had failed to attend a previous meeting a few weeks ago and did not make an appearance for this hearing.

Licensing chiefs John Moynes and Gordon Macdiarmid heard his case in his absence and refused him his permit.

At the same meeting another driver, Paul Connor, of Broad Street, Bridgeton, was also banned from obtaining a private hire licence. Connor's previous convictions, including house-breaking and stealing cars in the early 1990s, were read out as part of the police objections. Mr Donaldson said two recent cases, involving possession of drugs and vandalism against his girlfriend's car, made Connor unsuitable to be working with the public. The hearing was told Connor was fined £200 for a drugs offence in 1998 and later fined again in 2002 for attacking his girlfriend's car.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 45866
Location: 1066 Country
But I suspect if they just wanted licenses to drive taxis, then the Merseyside trade would have welcomed them with open arms. :wink:

Ditto for Mansfield, because they will license anyone. :shock:

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:10 pm
Posts: 126
Location: scotland
i find it hard to comprehend why some of these folk would even attempt to apply for a taxi permit with a record like that,,maybe they thought they would slip by un noticed by the police,,like some others may already have done !!!!
It surprises me that the conduct some drivers show is so shocking that theyshould be put off the road immediately , especially black hack drivers.
They turn where they want, never indicate, have severe road rage, hate private hire drivers, and are impolite and rude to their passengers,,but then again its only my opinion !!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:25 pm
Posts: 331
Hi

They could have equall applied for Hackney badges as well. You make it sound as if all hackney drivers are so perfect and crime free. All little angels..........

Yeah right


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:26 pm
Posts: 850
Location: jock HQ
trigot wrote:
i find it hard to comprehend why some of these folk would even attempt to apply for a taxi permit with a record like that,,maybe they thought they would slip by un noticed by the police,,like some others may already have done !!!!
It surprises me that the conduct some drivers show is so shocking that theyshould be put off the road immediately , especially black hack drivers.
They turn where they want, never indicate, have severe road rage, hate private hire drivers, and are impolite and rude to their passengers,,but then again its only my opinion !!!!




i see your point trigot but i have to say that not all black hacks are like that and you can be sure that some PH drivers are just as bad but that will always be the case in this job regardles what side of the fence you are on .

i have found that most of the black cabs here are ok a few are idiots but we have a few PH who are idiots as well.

but its good to know that people like this are stopped from getting in to that trade.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 45866
Location: 1066 Country
chipper wrote:
[i see your point trigot but i have to say that not all black hacks are like that and you can be sure that some PH drivers are just as bad but that will always be the case in this job regardles what side of the fence you are on .

i have found that most of the black cabs here are ok a few are idiots but we have a few PH who are idiots as well.

I agree, there are many iffy folk driving balck cabs, and many iffy folk driving PH.

What we should do is not have a contest over who's the worst, but put our efforts (however small) into getting rid of both lots.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 8998
Location: London
Sussex wrote:
I agree, there are many iffy folk driving balck cabs, and many iffy folk driving PH.



and some VERY iffy people driving Minicabs. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 8998
Location: London
Sussex wrote:
I agree, there are many iffy folk driving balck cabs, and many iffy folk driving PH.



and some iffy people who want to change from an iffy PH, to an iffy Hackney.

All very iffy if you ask me. :-k


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:51 pm
Posts: 5795
Location: The Internet
trigot wrote:
i find it hard to comprehend why some of these folk would even attempt to apply for a taxi permit with a record like that...


Not really, if you recall the Glasgow story from June this year:

BLACK CAB KILLER

A TAXI driver who stabbed a 17-year-old to death while three times the drink drive limit is back working as a cabbie. Council bosses granted Samuel Docherty, 45, a licence to drive his black cab - despite police objections.

Docherty was charged with murder but served four years after admitting the culpable homicide of Charles Hutcheon. At the time of the killing, he was driving for a private hire firm. After his release from prison, he bought a black cab and works from the rank at Queen Street Station in Glasgow.

His victim's family and justice groups condemned Glasgow City Council for allowing Docherty, who is still on licence for the killing, to drive the taxi. Charles's mum May, 47, said she and husband Alex only found out Docherty was free when a relative got into the killer's cab. The care worker said: 'What if my husband and I had got into the same taxi, imagine the shock for us.

'We were not told by the authorities that Docherty was out of prison. 'I thought you could not get a taxi licence if you had any criminal conviction never mind one for stabbing a man to death. 'Our son was a young man with a bright future which was taken from him. 'We were told by the Procurator Fiscal that they agreed to reduce the charge from murder to culpable homicide because Docherty had only stabbed Charles once.'

Dad Alex, 48, a gardener, said: 'Docherty is not a fit and proper person to be allowed to drive a taxi. 'If you asked the general public, I wonder how many would use a taxi knowing the driver was a convicted killer. 'This man took a young person's life in a fit of rage. Who is to say he won't do it again if he gets into an argument with a passenger. 'Jobs that involve working with the public, like a taxi driver, cannot be open to people with convictions.'

The police check on all taxi drivers when they apply for or renew their taxi licences. A Strathclyde Police source said: 'We did not want this man to get a licence.' A police spokeswoman said: 'The Chief Constable has the power to bring to the attention of the licensing committee any concerns or reservations he may have over applicants. 'However, the final decision to grant a licence lies with the council.'

On the day of the killing, Docherty had argued with youths including Charles outside his home in Cranhill, Glasgow. Docherty picked up a seven-inch knife from his kitchen and ran outside to plunge it into the young warehouseman's side. Charles's main artery was punctured. He died six hours later at Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

At the time of the attack, Docherty was three times the drink-driving limit. He admitted his guilt at the High Court in Glasgow in November 1999. Edgar Prais, QC, defending, said the incident on August 8, 1999, had been a 'terrible tragedy' for the victim's family and the Dochertys. But trial judge Lord Cameron said Docherty had stabbed an unarmed youth to death. Charles's elder brother Derek, 25, said: 'This man ran into his home to get the knife that killed my brother. It was premeditated.'

Victims group Search For Justice condemned the decision to give Docherty his licence. Spokesman Les Brown said: 'A man with a conviction for culpable homicide is not a suitable person to drive a taxi.' Conservative Party justice spokeswoman Annabel Goldie said: 'The public need to be reassured that councils are acting in their best interests.'

Last night, a council spokesman said: 'Each case is treated on its own merits. 'If we are told that a person applying for a licence has previous convictions, then the driver would be called before the committee. He would be able to have legal representation and a chance to put his case. 'The council would also examine whether the conviction had any direct bearing on his ability to be a taxi driver.'

Docherty's mother Helen, 70, who lives in Cranhill, defended her son's right to be a taxi driver. She said: 'My son has served his time and is entitled to work as a taxi driver to provide for his family.' Docherty could not be contacted yesterday for comment.

A woman who answered the door of his home in Ballieston, near Glasgow, said no one of that name lived there

_________________
Taxi Driver Online
www.taxi-driver.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:29 pm 
greenbadgecabby wrote:
and some iffy people who want to change from an iffy PH, to an iffy Hackney.

All very iffy if you ask me. :-k

well ive changed and there is as many iffy drivers with green badges (phs) as there is white badges (taxis).
thats a point mr GBC are you a brighton ph? :lol:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 8998
Location: London
Cgull wrote:
greenbadgecabby wrote:
and some iffy people who want to change from an iffy PH, to an iffy Hackney.

All very iffy if you ask me. :-k

well ive changed and there is as many iffy drivers with green badges (phs) as there is white badges (taxis).
thats a point mr GBC are you a brighton ph? :lol:



Could'nt afford it mate. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 8998
Location: London
TDO wrote:
trigot wrote:
i find it hard to comprehend why some of these folk would even attempt to apply for a taxi permit with a record like that...


Not really, if you recall the Glasgow story from June this year:

BLACK CAB KILLER

A TAXI driver who stabbed a 17-year-old to death while three times the drink drive limit is back working as a cabbie. Council bosses granted Samuel Docherty, 45, a licence to drive his black cab - despite police objections.

Docherty was charged with murder but served four years after admitting the culpable homicide of Charles Hutcheon. At the time of the killing, he was driving for a private hire firm. After his release from prison, he bought a black cab and works from the rank at Queen Street Station in Glasgow.

His victim's family and justice groups condemned Glasgow City Council for allowing Docherty, who is still on licence for the killing, to drive the taxi. Charles's mum May, 47, said she and husband Alex only found out Docherty was free when a relative got into the killer's cab. The care worker said: 'What if my husband and I had got into the same taxi, imagine the shock for us.

'We were not told by the authorities that Docherty was out of prison. 'I thought you could not get a taxi licence if you had any criminal conviction never mind one for stabbing a man to death. 'Our son was a young man with a bright future which was taken from him. 'We were told by the Procurator Fiscal that they agreed to reduce the charge from murder to culpable homicide because Docherty had only stabbed Charles once.'

Dad Alex, 48, a gardener, said: 'Docherty is not a fit and proper person to be allowed to drive a taxi. 'If you asked the general public, I wonder how many would use a taxi knowing the driver was a convicted killer. 'This man took a young person's life in a fit of rage. Who is to say he won't do it again if he gets into an argument with a passenger. 'Jobs that involve working with the public, like a taxi driver, cannot be open to people with convictions.'

The police check on all taxi drivers when they apply for or renew their taxi licences. A Strathclyde Police source said: 'We did not want this man to get a licence.' A police spokeswoman said: 'The Chief Constable has the power to bring to the attention of the licensing committee any concerns or reservations he may have over applicants. 'However, the final decision to grant a licence lies with the council.'

On the day of the killing, Docherty had argued with youths including Charles outside his home in Cranhill, Glasgow. Docherty picked up a seven-inch knife from his kitchen and ran outside to plunge it into the young warehouseman's side. Charles's main artery was punctured. He died six hours later at Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

At the time of the attack, Docherty was three times the drink-driving limit. He admitted his guilt at the High Court in Glasgow in November 1999. Edgar Prais, QC, defending, said the incident on August 8, 1999, had been a 'terrible tragedy' for the victim's family and the Dochertys. But trial judge Lord Cameron said Docherty had stabbed an unarmed youth to death. Charles's elder brother Derek, 25, said: 'This man ran into his home to get the knife that killed my brother. It was premeditated.'

Victims group Search For Justice condemned the decision to give Docherty his licence. Spokesman Les Brown said: 'A man with a conviction for culpable homicide is not a suitable person to drive a taxi.' Conservative Party justice spokeswoman Annabel Goldie said: 'The public need to be reassured that councils are acting in their best interests.'

Last night, a council spokesman said: 'Each case is treated on its own merits. 'If we are told that a person applying for a licence has previous convictions, then the driver would be called before the committee. He would be able to have legal representation and a chance to put his case. 'The council would also examine whether the conviction had any direct bearing on his ability to be a taxi driver.'

Docherty's mother Helen, 70, who lives in Cranhill, defended her son's right to be a taxi driver. She said: 'My son has served his time and is entitled to work as a taxi driver to provide for his family.' Docherty could not be contacted yesterday for comment.

A woman who answered the door of his home in Ballieston, near Glasgow, said no one of that name lived there




The above of course being a story iniciated by the victims family.

Now given that we don't know the history of the driver involved, I think we should be reasonable in assuming even your average half-wit on a licensing board would have refused him if there was a danger to the public.

The man he stabbed was clearly known to him from reading the above, so to look it from a different view:

The man he stabbed had sexually assaulted his daughter the week before, and had turned up at his house to try it again?

The fact is we don't know, the driver might have been an impecable church going character before the above?

Who knows? but theres a lot more to this story than the newspapers spin on it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:51 pm
Posts: 5795
Location: The Internet
Well that's OK then :lol:

I do see your point GBC, but killing someone in any circumstances is fairly grave, unless it's purely self-defence.

_________________
Taxi Driver Online
www.taxi-driver.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:51 pm
Posts: 5795
Location: The Internet
greenbadgecabby wrote:
Now given that we don't know the history of the driver involved, I think we should be reasonable in assuming even your average half-wit on a licensing board would have refused him if there was a danger to the public.



Well the police certainly thought he was a danger to the public.

_________________
Taxi Driver Online
www.taxi-driver.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 8998
Location: London
TDO wrote:
Well that's OK then :lol:

I do see your point GBC, but killing someone in any circumstances is fairly grave, unless it's purely self-defence.


I agree, they would'nt even allow a Minicab driver to drive with that sort of conviction.

Which adds to my suspicions theres a lot more behind this than the press have chosen to write. :-k

Perhaps i'd better stop watching the 'Inspector Morse' box set I got last week. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Coopers, Google [Bot] and 84 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group