Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:54 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
The man he stabbed had sexually assaulted his daughter the week before, and had turned up at his house to try it again?

The fact is we don't know, the driver might have been an impecable church going character before the above?

Who knows? but theres a lot more to this story than the newspapers spin on it.

So what's the 'lot more' then?

There's nothing to suggest that there are any extenuating circumstances - he just avoided a murder conviction by the skin of his teeth.

We might as well cast doubt upon your numerous minicab stories on the basis that you are casting doubt on this story, but that would be ridiculous, surely? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:01 pm 

TDO wrote:
So what's the 'lot more' then?

There's nothing to suggest that there are any extenuating circumstances - he just avoided a murder conviction by the skin of his teeth.

Before this turns into 20 pages, I'm not saying there is.

It may be a clear cut and shut conviction with no extenuating circumstances, but why grant him a license?

To my knowledge Strathclyde Police have a partnership approach to most things with the local council, it seems strange they would disregard any advice given to them by the law, especially one as high profile as this.

Just provoking some alternative thoughts on the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:03 pm 

TDO wrote:
We might as well cast doubt upon your numerous minicab stories on the basis that you are casting doubt on this story, but that would be ridiculous, surely? :?

As they are cut and pasted from the usaul media sites, then yes you are welcome to do so.

But I think you know the truth when it appears. O:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:10 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
It may be a clear cut and shut conviction with no extenuating circumstances, but why grant him a license?

To my knowledge Strathclyde Police have a partnership approach to most things with the local council, it seems strange they would disregard any advice given to them by the law, especially one as high profile as this.

I thought you seemed to be defending the council initially, now you seem to be critical?

Anway, I found a story at the time of the conviction which actually lends support to the point you made initially.

Funny thing is that it seems to be the kind of story that would be pounced upon by the tabloids as 'upstanding citizen jailed after defending family from yobs' kind of story.

But as you correctly said, the later reports say nothing about the circumstances, but presumably that's why he got away with murder, if you see what I mean :?

However, I suppose a killing's a killing, but it's interesting to contrast the more recent attitude of the police with the councillors:

A TAXI driver who stabbed a 17-year-old to death with a kitchen knife after being set on by the teenager and three of his friends was jailed for eight years yesterday.

The High Court in Glasgow heard that Samuel Docherty, 39, who was described in court as a hard-working family man, launched the attack after the youths turned on him when he tried to stop them harassing his wife and 15-year-old son.

The court heard that his victim, Charles Hutcheon, whose main artery was punctured by the blade, died six hours later at Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

Docherty, of Sutherness Drive, Cranhill, Glasgow, was originally charged with murder, but was jailed after admitting a charge of culpable homicide.

The advocate depute, James Drummond Young, QC, prosecuting, said Docherty told police that he had been "frantic with worry" for the safety of his wife and son, Paul, after an altercation with the group of youths who had been drinking fortified wine.

He said: "The accused and his wife had just returned from a night out in the city centre.

They saw Paul and one of the youths taking a kick at the boy as he walked past them."

Docherty then tackled the gang, but was badly beaten, and struck at least 20 times with a beer can.

Dizzy and in a panic, he then ran into his house, picked up a 7in kitchen knife, and, after running back outside, plunged it into Charles' side.

Defending, Edgar Prais, QC, said the incident on 8 August this year had been a "terrible tragedy" for both the victim's family and the Dochertys.

Mr Prais said the killing took place in the centre of a "mixed community" where the Docherty family lived in a small enclave of private houses surrounded by a deprived council housing estate.

The dead teenager lived on the other side of the wall in Startpoint Street, said Mr Prais.

"The builders never finished a wall to separate both communities." The owners of the private houses felt threatened by young people who were drunk, drugged and carrying weapons.

Mr Prais said: "It was against this background that my client acted. He was a hard-working man who had achieved something in life for his wife and two children and now he is shattered and remorseful."

He said Docherty had been distraught and guilt-stricken and had been on suicide watch in prison since the attack.

During Mr Prais's plea, the dead boy's father shouted out in court: "What about my son?" and was ushered outside by court officers.

After the killing, a crowd gathered in the street outside and stoned the Docherty house, shouting abuse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:44 am 

greenbadgecabby wrote:

Possibly when he applied he didn't tell the council of his background, and it wasn't until the CRB system came in that councils could check people's history back to day 1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:50 pm 

looks like number 3 has been stopped before he got as far as the application :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://media.putfile.com/geezajoab

just a wee bit o fun 8)