Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:15 pm 

Do they really believe that all of the 150 on the waiting list in Oldham will actually take up a plate when they are seen to be worthless? The long list is full of speculators who hoped to make a quick sell on profit. When the "Black Cab " rule kicks in 2008, I predict the number of Hacks will fall, and the number of (Skoda) PH's will rise in Oldham. Anyone taking bets?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:01 pm 

I agree on the first point, although there may be a weeding out process in operation in which case it would be longer of anyone could join it.

On the second point, since the plates are worth £45,000 rather than £450, then I suspect the numbers would increase. If they were worth £450 then I would agree with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:13 pm 

jimbo wrote:
Do they really believe that all of the 150 on the waiting list in Oldham will actually take up a plate when they are seen to be worthless? The long list is full of speculators who hoped to make a quick sell on profit. When the "Black Cab " rule kicks in 2008, I predict the number of Hacks will fall, and the number of (Skoda) PH's will rise in Oldham. Anyone taking bets?

The only thing I know about Oldham is that you can plate a three grand saloon car as a hackney carriage and the plates were selling for 50 - 55 grand six weeks ago but have since come down to 45 - 50K. I suspect after this announcement they will be down at least another five grand to 40k or even less.

Wheres that guy who said its a wise to invest in restricted plates, wasn't you was it?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:25 am 

What Oldham should do now is introduce a really hard knowledge test,at
least as hard as the London test.This would keep the plate numbers down,
get rid of the stupidity of buying or selling plates for thousands of pounds, create an even playing field for everybody and have people in the trade who are best for the public and the trade itself.I feel this is the only way forward but it won't happen because bascically the trade is arse over tit
and alwats will be. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:52 am 

JD wrote:
jimbo wrote:

The only thing I know about Oldham is that you can plate a three grand saloon car as a hackney carriage and the plates were selling for 50 - 55 grand six weeks ago but have since come down to 45 - 50K. I suspect after this announcement they will be down at least another five grand to 40k or even less.

Wheres that guy who said its a wise to invest in restricted plates, wasn't you was it?

I don't think so.

Plates aren't an investment in as far as i see it, only a business tool.

One councillor quoted above, says let the market find it's own level of hacks. If that happens in Oldham, on top of having to put on a Black cab, I believe plates will have a zero value,(Am I bothered?) and Skoda owners will go over to PH, and probably illgaly ply for hire, gamekeeper turned poacher way.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:45 pm 

football wrote:
What Oldham should do now is introduce a really hard knowledge test,at
least as hard as the London test.This would keep the plate numbers down,
get rid of the stupidity of buying or selling plates for thousands of pounds, create an even playing field for everybody and have people in the trade who are best for the public and the trade itself.I feel this is the only way forward but it won't happen because bascically the trade is arse over tit
and alwats will be. :lol:

A very sensible way forward. Maybe it would be better (IMHO) if they got rid of quotas, but improving standards is the way forward.

It's just a shame our so-called national leadership haven't got the balls to suggest it. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:40 pm 

Furious cabbies want new report

Drivers are furious with council plans — announced on Monday — to phase out saloon car Hackney carriages within three years while endorsing a probable 10-fold increase in the number of black cabs.

They feel this ignores an independent survey commissioned by the council but paid for by Hackney carriage drivers 18 months ago — which concluded there was no significant unmet demand for taxis in Oldham. Council bosses argue that new instructions from the Government make the findings no longer relevant.

But Edward Cook, Secretary of Oldham Metropolitan Borough Taxi Owners Association, which represents Oldham’s 85 Hackney drivers, accused the council of going back on its word. “Because the goalposts have been moved, we are taking the aftershock of this” he said. “If the survey was flawed, let’s have another one. “We have always said we will stand by whatever the conclusion is. We aren’t afraid to have a new survey — is the council?”

Under the shock plans, Oldham’s Hackney fleet will increase by 20 every six months from next April. “I think the proposals are very severe,” Mr Cook said. “It is going to cripple us and if the council doesn’t think that it is very naive.”

Younas Khan, a Hackney carriage driver for 27 years, said he fears 20 more drivers per year will force many out of business and is calling for stricter rules on who is given a new licence.

Tony Allen, head of trading standards, said: “The survey that was done was based on old guidance two years ago related to average demand in the town centre. “The Government issued new guidance asking to look at peak demand and latent demand, so the original survey is no longer relevant.

“We haven’t ignored the views of taxi drivers or the research but we feel the way it was conducted was flawed. “If taxi drivers wish to commission additional research in order to bolster their case, it can form part of their response to the consultation paper and would be considered by the council.”

A special licensing committee meeting is open to the public at the Civic Centre on Tuesday, November 15, from 9.30am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:19 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Younas Khan, a Hackney carriage driver for 27 years, said he fears 20 more drivers per year will force many out of business and is calling for stricter rules on who is given a new licence.

In that case why is he worried?

If driver's are going to leave, then surely that will leave a bigger cake for Mr Khan. :-k