Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:33 pm 
One of the lads got turned over the othger night and robbed. He wasnt hurt just gave them the money and the scum ran off.
It was on the radio that they got away with £150.
Now is it good that it was on the radio?
It might help the scum get caught. But will now every scally think we all carry that sort of money?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:41 am 

Cgull wrote:
One of the lads got turned over the othger night and robbed. He wasnt hurt just gave them the money and the scum ran off.
It was on the radio that they got away with £150.
Now is it good that it was on the radio?
It might help the scum get caught. But will now every scally think we all carry that sort of money?

one got done down here last month, was reported that £250 was taken.

personally i alway split my cash up. some £5's and £10's for change in a pocket, a stash under the seat and when that goes over £50 i stop and hide it away in the boot. so if i ever do get done the most they get is £50 and some coins.

if they keep giveing it the 'we know you got more than that' they get 'a sorry i only just started' or 'i just go back from a long account job'...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:54 am 

I think if someone asks you if you have been busy, it's best to say you have just started.

And if you can spread your money out in different pockets.

Oh what a lovely trade !! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:32 pm 

Back in the good old days my Peugeot 504 used to have a badge on the centre of the steering wheel. If you pulled it out you could store up to a hundred pound notes in there, which no one would find.

Now they have daft stuff like airbags in there instead :lol:

We operate in a small town so have no trouble at all (unless the driver acts like Mr Big and winds folks up).

In bigger towns I really can't understand why 'in cab' cameras haven't taken off big time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:31 pm 

Tom Thumb wrote:
In bigger towns I really can't understand why 'in cab' cameras haven't taken off big time.

I think it the phrase 'as tight as [edited by admin]'. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:48 pm 
Sussex Man wrote:
Tom Thumb wrote:

I think its more like the authorities won't allow them, something about the data protection act.

Maybe if these companies we able to offer some assurances that peoples privacy would not be infringed some councils would adopt a different attitude.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:43 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
I think its more like the authorities won't allow them, something about the data protection act.

Maybe if these companies we able to offer some assurances that peoples privacy would not be infringed some councils would adopt a different attitude.

I think it's quite simple to get around, an operator just gets a license from the data people. One license will do each firm, and away you go.

You have to put stickers on your motor, but really it's pretty straight-forward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:45 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
Sussex Man wrote:
Tom Thumb wrote:

With due respect Mick, this time its coming out the top of your head.

A major municipal borough near us was fed up with constant complaints from licensed drivers about harrassment (physical and racial) that they staged a roadshow for their drivers inviting 4 different suppliers to demonstrate there wares. All were approved by the council.

During the day they had twice as many drivers from neighbouring districts to their roadshow (there was 6 of us). A guy who had complained about harrassment so many times the council had lost count, said the council should pay the £500 for a camera not him.

All the system I have seen have systems in place to protect the public. For example, with Verifeye (I believe) you cannot gets access to the pictures without a Police request for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:07 pm 
You cannot walk anywhere these days without being on camera. They film constantly without permission and without the need to inform the subject. So may I ask why should we be treated any differently? It should not be forgotten that in most cases we are talking about preventing crime to the person where as in shops we are talking about straightforward theft. It is just another illustration of councils demonstrating the hold they have over us. They refuse not for any reason other than that they can.
Ged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:57 pm 
My council allowed cctv no problem.
Its even on the vehicle relicense form.
If you work on a circuit they have the license.
If you work independant then you have to get one yourself. But they are only £30 I think.
I think about 50 of the cars in my area have them. Some even have dummies.
But thats just the drivers. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:48 pm 

Cgull wrote:
My council allowed cctv no problem.
Its even on the vehicle relicense form.
If you work on a circuit they have the license.
If you work independant then you have to get one yourself. But they are only £30 I think.
I think about 50 of the cars in my area have them. Some even have dummies.
But thats just the drivers. :D

as far as i know there are two types, as has been mentioned before the verieye type, where you cannot play back what is recorded unless because it is scrambled. the police can unscramble in the event of an incident.
the other way is to use a 'normal' camera but you must have stickers on the windows and inside the car informing the fare that they are being recorded for safety purposes.
you cant just go putting a cheap video camera on you dash and record everything. that against some silly human rights thing or something like that. and also stops you getting you mate around you gaff on sunday morning for a 'who got the most outragous saturday night video' get together :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:18 pm 
Oh so are we not discussing CCTV here then.

Sorry my mistake, I didn't realise that you were talking about a stills based sytem where subscription for the GPRS transfer of images was required.

I must get such a system installed and I hope i remember to tell my asailant to stay still and smile during the attack so I can get a clear photo of him.

If our council were to allow their use, I for one, wouldn't expect the council to pay the bill, thats just plain stupid.