Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:28 pm 

TAXI FARES FROZEN AS BOSS SAYS THANKS

Fares at Bath's biggest private hire firm are being frozen at last year's rates as a thank you from directors to their customers. South Parade-based Abbey Taxis, which runs just under half of all the city's private hire vehicles, normally increases its fares every year to reflect inflation.

But in the coming year prices for journeys with the company's 160-strong fleet will stay at the same rate as the past 12 months. Manager Michael Rose said fares were being held down to thank customers, who make 60,000 journeys every month with the firm, and to ease the burden on elderly people and students. He also hoped it would encourage more people to use taxis instead of making journeys in their own cars.

Bath and North East Somerset Council last week announced that fares for journeys in the city's hackney carriage fleet, which it regulates, would rise by 2.4 per cent, taking the cost of a two mile daytime journey to £5, depending on waiting time. In contrast, a two mile journey with Abbey Taxis will be frozen at £4.90, depending on waiting time.

Private hire taxi firms set their own fares rather than having them regulated by the council and pick people up directly from their homes, workplaces or other locations rather than from taxi ranks. Unlike hackney carriages, which can pick up passengers directly from the street, journeys have to be pre-booked by phone or in person at a firm's office.

Despite the freeze, Abbey Taxis' drivers will not lose out because the firm is not raising the rates it charges for rent of its radios either. Abbey driver, Rosy Dancy, said: "The public never like prices to go up. "The majority of the people I pick up are elderly and they are only too happy with the service because it helps them maintain their independence if they can't get on the buses. "Some of them don't have a lot of money and I think that not putting the prices up is going to please them."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:40 pm 

Location: Grim North, Carrot Crunchers and Codhead Country, North of Watford Gap
Sussex wrote:
[.
Bath and North East Somerset Council last week announced that fares for journeys in the city's hackney carriage fleet, which it regulates, would rise by 2.4 per cent, taking the cost of a two mile daytime journey to £5, depending on waiting time. In contrast, a two mile journey with Abbey Taxis will be frozen at £4.90, depending on waiting time.."

So now Abbey Taxis, PH, can safely say, [for the sake of 10p], use us we are cheaper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:47 pm 

Yes, a good reason not to put fares up if they are refelcting inflation is that it's more bother than it's worth. I mean, 2% on a £3 fare is 6p #-o

Better to keep fares frozen, and you can get a bit of free advertising via the local press. I mean, a 10p saving on a £5 run? Barely worth mentioning, never mind a huge spread in the local press. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:52 pm 

I think Mr PH is having a slight dig at his HC colleagues. :roll:

And to be fair he is keeping his office rent the same. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:57 pm 

Perhaps, but 10p on a £5 fare hardly seems worth the flattened rain forest.

For 'having a dig' I would say 'trying to gain a competitive advantage'. :roll:

Over 10p. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:23 am 

TDO wrote:
Perhaps, but 10p on a £5 fare hardly seems worth the flattened rain forest.

For 'having a dig' I would say 'trying to gain a competitive advantage'. :roll:

Over 10p. :lol:

Not to mention the cost of a meter tarrif change and test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:59 pm 
when our cab fares go up on the same day our PH fares go up.
being as the cartel make sure all the firms and all the cars charge the same.
then thats no surpirse. :-$