Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:12 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:
And we'll get the best practice guidance.

Dusty :(

Well compared to the 18 person talking shop, I think best practice is more preferable. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:27 pm 

Quite right Andy, instead we have dozens of people inputting to the DfT, who'll decide things in private on a who knows-what-basis, then we'll have the best practice guidance, which can be conveniently ignored by LAs.

Dusty :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:55 pm 

I know I'm Mr Naive here, but surely when the DfT give their guidance, councils will have to report to councilors, about the OFT study etc etc.

Now how can a council give the old arguments for restrictions, if those have been made to look stupid by the OFT?

If the local area has clueded up PH unions/associations, then I can't see how anything else bar de-limination can happen.

But how many areas have clueded up PH unions/associations?

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:25 pm 

I think we're at cross purposes here Alex.

I wasn't talking about de-limitation, but the other apects of the OFT report, particularly quality regulation, which was what the OFT said should be subject to best practice guidance - I don't think 'best practice' is relevant re restricted numbers - they're either restricted or they're not.

I've been assuming that the Govt would use clause 1.147c to de-limit nationally using a Regulatory Reform Order, and that LAs wouldn't have any say in the matter.

As for Ireland, remember that de-limitation came first, then the taxi tsar and taxi council etc and the deemed need for qualitative standards.

So at least the two aspects will perhaps be considered together in the UK, but what we might well end up is de-limitation without any qualitative change in many areas, which wouldn't be a good idea.

The problem as I see it is that all we got from OFT was a call for 'proportionate' quality standards, and best practice guidance from DfT, but no indication of what that might entail.

In some ways we already have a legal requirement for 'proportionate' standards, we have DfT guidance on many matters, and while any new guidance may be more comprehensive, it'll be decided under the same old processes by the same department and will be similarly non-obligatory.

So what's new??

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:53 pm 

Now if all the existing HC drivers used their brains, they would join with the sensible few PH, and demand better standards of vehicles and drivers.

Nothing as silly as the length of the London knowledge, but proper knowledge tests and proper vehicle standards.

I suppose Phase 1 of the DDA will help the latter, but lets all get together and sort out the former.

Then a de-limit may well not be the end of the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:05 pm 

Yes, but the problem is that in my experience the owners don't want higher standards for drivers, because all they want is to have their cars on the road 24/7, and most have one or two part-timers - and this is with or without quotas in my experience - it's that old contradiction - too many taxis, not enough drivers.

Unfortunately many of these people who represent 'the trade' can't see beyond the end of their own noses - if other owners have jockies then they need them as well, and in both areas I've worked in singled cars have been very much in the minority, possibly less than 10%, despite the fact that both would accept saloons bought for a few hundred pounds.

As for DDA, this will help keep numbers down in some areas going from restricted saloons to unrestriced whatever (as seems to be happening in Dundee), but in other areas all it will do is split an all HC trade in two.

And if LAs allow the Doblo then because it's no dearer than a saloon then it won't make much difference.

But it seems doubtful whether the Doblo will meet the DDA spec.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:13 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Unfortunately many of these people who represent 'the trade' can't see beyond the end of their own noses.

Words right out of my mouth.

But the sensible should understand it's best to have, say 500 high standard HC vehicles, as opposed to 800 s*** standard HC vehicles.

Whereas at present they have 500 HC vehicles, of all varying standards.

The choice is there for the HC trade to decide. I hope they choose wisely.