UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: This is Lincolnshire...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:21 am 

www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/lincolnshirenews.html

27th October "late night bus service is axed"

28th "taxi driver (PH,actually) claimed £5,000 in benefits"

29th Not on website yet, check later, "Too many cabs on the road have put me £48,000 in debt"

"Minicab driver Martin Lynn has started a petition because he says there are too many cabs on Lincoln's roads"
Mr Lynn (40) of Cavalry Court Metheringham,claims the increase in cabs has lost him so much business that he is £48,000 in debt.
He says the number of cabs has soared over the last three years.
Mr Lynn has already collected 100 signatures from other cab drivers in the City who are unhappy with the situation. Now he wants Lincoln City Council to take action and limit the number of drivers allowed new license plates. Mr Lynn has been driving fo Handsome cabs for nine years."Before,the problem was that there weren't enough taxi's-we would never stop working throughout the day" he said. " but now I often have to wait two hours for a job in the daytime and I'm struggling to stay afloat.I own two cars and have to pay the firm £100 a week for each car. The insurance is £500 a month and with fuel on top of that the outgoing costs are enormous. It has got so bad now that I'm two months behind with my mortgage , I'm a month behind on both cars, I'm on the limit for all my credit cards and I'm about £48,000 in debt.

And so the tale of woe goes on, I'm sure you get the picture.

You would need a heart of stone not to laugh out loud. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:45 am 

10:30 - 28 October 2005
Taxi driver Frederick Leonard claimed benefits even though he was working.

The 44-year-old was given more than £5,000 in disability living allowance after claiming he had back problems. He is also diabetic and said he could not work because a learning disability and memory loss meant he could not read road signs, deal with money or venture outside alone.

But for 22 days between September 30 and December 12, 2004, Leonard, of Cannon Street, Lincoln, worked as a taxi driver.

Admitting the offence, he told Lincoln magistrates yesterday that it was only a trial to see whether he could cope with having a job after being unemployed for 10 years.

The overpayment in benefits to Leonard was £5,290. The magistrates gave Leonard a 12-month conditional discharge.

What absolute disgrace, we here in Liverpool have never heard of such a thing . streetcar. [img]%20%20[/img]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:18 pm 

jimbo wrote:
Mr Lynn (40) of Cavalry Court Metheringham,claims the increase in cabs has lost him so much business that he is £48,000 in debt.

Well he should leave the f***ing trade. If there isn't enough work, then why are all these extra cars being licensed? Are they all thick up there? [-(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:57 pm 

Sussex wrote:
jimbo wrote:

Well he should leave the f***ing trade. If there isn't enough work, then why are all these extra cars being licensed? Are they all thick up there? [-(

Gosh, Sussex such vitriol. Surely you know that PH Vehicle plates are unrestricted? All thick? Well,no Not all,just some. :lol: :wink:

Same as everywhere else, more or less.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:11 pm 

jimbo wrote:
Gosh, Sussex such vitriol. Surely you know that PH Vehicle plates are unrestricted? All thick? Well,no Not all,just some. :lol: :wink:

I just don't have time for people who moan about how bad the trade is, even if they are spot on. Do they think by whinging that things will suddenly get better?

Everyone has a choice to go or to stay. If they want to stay then good luck to them, but if they dislike it so much then they best f*** off.

And as for that goon blaming the trade for his £48,000 debt, he reminds me of a few HC plate-holders who are a little too thick to see what's happening in this trade of ours. Image

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:45 pm 

Sussex wrote:
jimbo wrote:

I just don't have time for people who moan about how bad the trade is, even if they are spot on. Do they think by whinging that things will suddenly get better?

Everyone has a choice to go or to stay. If they want to stay then good luck to them, but if they dislike it so much then they best f*** off.

And as for that goon blaming the trade for his £48,000 debt, he reminds me of a few HC plate-holders who are a little too thick to see what's happening in this trade of ours. Image

The "Goon", and a hundred or so of his mates, have got a petition going to demand that the council, "limit PH plates like they do for Hackney Carriage." Selfish Bar stewards. You couldn't make it up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:56 am 

Yes, human nature I'm afraid Jimbo, I don't think there's anything genetically about PH drivers that would make them act any differently from there taxi brethren.

But maybe they should have done a bit of basic research before starting their petition and they'd thus be aware that the council have no powers to restrict PH numbers, and the chances of the gaining such a power in the next few years is effectively nil.

As for the owner and his debt, I suspect it's got nothing to do with the trade as such. I mean, if he was losing money like that then presumably he would have at least put on of his cars of ages ago?

But it reminds me of the Plymouth one, where an MP was making much the same case in the Commons, at the behest of a Plymouth PH owner.

Funny thing was, not long after there were stories about how much some East European drivers were taking in Plymouth, and the numbers suggested that they were hardly on the breadline.

Funny, not a peep by the MP since then. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:50 pm 

Well Jimbo, i don't know what you are gloating about, the number of PH vehicles increasing in the last 3 years must have surely affected your takings. I notice there aren't as many queueing at the rank at the railway station on Saturday nights as there was. Plus i've seen loads of your colleagues parking up at the book seller on silver street in the early hours trying to pinch fares which have booked for a P/H pick up there, this is what? 200 yards behind your "official" rank?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:35 am 

Sussex wrote:
[ Do they think by whinging that things will suddenly get better?

Yes. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:03 am 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Do they think by whinging that things will suddenly get better?

Yes. :wink:

But how often does it work? :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:40 am 

scootch wrote:
Well Jimbo, i don't know what you are gloating about, the number of PH vehicles increasing in the last 3 years must have surely affected your takings. I notice there aren't as many queueing at the rank at the railway station on Saturday nights as there was. Plus i've seen loads of your colleagues parking up at the book seller on silver street in the early hours trying to pinch fares which have booked for a P/H pick up there, this is what? 200 yards behind your "official" rank?

Well Scootch, I didn't know I was gloating. The sharks, that is,PH, in Lincoln, are turning on each other,it is Difficult to pick up at the bookseller,usually swamped with PH pinching fares of each other! The increase in PH is entirely due to the relative ease with which drivers get finance for new vehicles from irresponsible lenders. If I went to "Handsome Crabs" today, I could get twenty cars on their books.
The explosion in PH, will, inevetably, explode!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:31 am 

less taxis equals more private hire simple

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:29 pm 

tcabbie wrote:
less taxis equals more private hire simple

bad england make sentence incomprehensible simple not

But anyway, you statement is not neccessarily the case. It may be the case that in some L.A's, the difference between a Hackney Carriage, and a Private Hire, is merely that one has a toplight with "Taxi" on it, whilst the other does not. However, in my City all Hackney's are required to be wheelchair accessible, which basically means LTI, Metro, or E7 types.
PH can buy saloons, which are generally half the price of a like for like Hackney Carriage, be it new,or second hand. When a compulsory WAV hits L.A's that are still Saloon,as it will, the numbers of Hacks will fall, and the numbers of P.H's will rise, as owners switch to avoid buying a WAV. Read the DfT document "Changes in the Taxi parc" if you don't believe this to be so. Drivers would rather be in a saloon than a TX. Simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:13 pm 

I disagree that the number of saloon taxis will fall if WAVed Jimbo. I doubt that would happen in Brighton, for example?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:14 pm 

However, I agree that it would in areas that are unrestricted numerically or where plate premiums are low, but not in high premium areas.