Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:41 pm 
I have heard from good sources that in feb another 81 liencences are due to be granted what is dundee council playing at is it really trying to kill it for the decent drivers out there. It is hard enough since those other 20 plates got issued now we are going to be up against maybe another 50 out of those 81 god how times are changing in dundee i have never had it so hard i've been taxiing for 15 years and the present council should be ashamed of themselves what they have done to a decent trade. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:47 pm 

What do you mean the council was wrong in stopping all those that were acting illegally, and thus without insurance? :?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:31 pm 
Yes,Yes,Yes.
The population of Dundee is shrinking,unemployment is rising,
any new jobs that arise,are for part time.
Engineering companies have folded over the past few years,the only
growth seems to be supermarkets clambering for sites,and new
taxi plates going on.
Will be a problem in the very near future,lack of rank space,which
will be a bonus for the traffic wardens and police.
However the hired plate scenario,may go down and balance things
a bit.
Hopefully we can all make a living,but thin there could be a few
caualities in a few months time.
Good luck lads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:27 pm 
I'll tell you what boys if i find out who are operating illegal hackney i will be putting their names onto the cabs office if thats what it takes to make a decent living then i suggest decent guys out there do the same get them OFF the road. :x

Post subject: andy pandy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:10 pm 
Good for you boy,if everyone had that attitude,would not be in the
position,we now find ourselves in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:49 pm 
Thank you mate i'm telling you the minute i know who is on illegally i will act on it you get sick off them with their attitude sitting at asda moaning bout white plates or just moaning bout anything really, i sit there and listen and say to myself, you shouldn't be on here let alone mouth it off i know about 8 of them who sit at asda i've already been up to the cabs office bout them and i'm telling you, you are only too welcome to hand in names so i suggest we the legal ones get rid of the plague in hired plates at least if only to get back to us whats due in our fares going to them, i'm up for it i hope at least i can get some back up with this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:54 am 
andypandy wrote:
Thank you mate i'm telling you the minute i know who is on illegally i will act on it you get sick off them with their attitude sitting at asda moaning bout white plates or just moaning bout anything really, i sit there and listen and say to myself, you shouldn't be on here let alone mouth it off i know about 8 of them who sit at asda i've already been up to the cabs office bout them and i'm telling you, you are only too welcome to hand in names so i suggest we the legal ones get rid of the plague in hired plates at least if only to get back to us whats due in our fares going to them, i'm up for it i hope at least i can get some back up with this one.

you are not Andy Pandy

you are a woodentop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:14 am 
Years ago it used to be people waiting for Taxis, now it's taxis waiting for people no matter where you go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:00 am 

Well then leave the trade to those who can make a living out of it.

I suspect the reason there are more cars than punters, is that the non-stop moaning from the trade has driven them mad, and onto the buses.

Just look at Yorkshire for a class one example. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:09 pm 

HI FOLKS,
Sorry i`ve not posted i`ve been on on my holidays.
First things first,Andy Pandy,correct you should notify the relevant authorities about illegal plates,but the moaners on asda are still gonna be the moaners on asda whether they have a hired plate or their own plate,or ,as i suspect ,if they get their own plate they will become one of your mates overnight and suddenly have the right to moan about hired plates,mmmmmmmmmmm.strange one,enlighten me andy.
507 plates in dundee,ops moan about hired plates(correctly i may add),powers that be decide enough is enough is enough and for all intense and purposes de reg.
may 2004 650 plus plates operators still moaning, but about the new plates.
Seems to me the operators in Dundee are being punished for complaining about people in their trade operating illegally,would`nt happen any other trade would it?
All the ops who moaned about hired plates,did they think that the council would take their word for it,take the illegal licences off of the people running them and not replace them?.
Although it goes against the grain,the dundee ops should have kept quiet and they would still have the same number of taxis on the road now.
Riddle me this o Dundee operators:If there is no work for extra cars in Dundee why are approx 80 new vehicles going on the road at some considerable cost to the individual operators?.I think existing ops should go to the council and ask that all new ops go to the doctor for a new medical...........to get their heads looked :o :o :o BE HAPPY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:50 am 
I agree with you villager why when there is no money would new ops go and put themselves in 20 grand debt do they now something we don't know they will be the ones shouting in the end for a limit to be put on the wavs because they have a massive debt they can't afford to pay.
About asda you are quite right once a winger always a winger it will never stop as a few individuals think they own asda rank that my friend will never change. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:58 am 
your claims of extra cars are false handys took on four new wavs early in january by your reckoning this should have meant four new radios being supplied but there were none because all four had vehicles prior to the wavs ,all thats changed is instead of four saloons they now have in their place four wavs,all four have the same drivers as before, there may be 80 plates about to be issued but with 60 or so private hire plates and all the hired plates who have applied for them there may be only 10 to 15 extra cars if there are any extra cars at all that is,

Post subject: New Wavs(Scot)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:57 am 
Reckon there will be in the region of 80-100 Wavs,in Dundee by this time
next year.
But remember they will have to have the technology for the swipe card
which is very hard to get,due to one company owning this system and
they in turn have,yes have nominated another company in Dundee,to
have the authority to say yes or no,but if yes,you bring your cab
into our office,(how is that Dundee City Council)discrimination or what.
All WAVS can do wheelchair work,but if no swipe card,no discount for the
wheelchair user.(nice one Dundee CityCouncil)

Also have heard that the dead mileage grant scheme will be dead and
buried this coming term(April 2004),excuse the pun.
Council can only give you this if you participate in the scheme,which is
run by 203030 or Tay Taxis,s t r a n g e,s t r a n g e,and stranger.

Well,good luck lads,we will all need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:06 pm 
there will be a hundred wavs by march this year,never mind next year,also the taxi card is voluntry you dont have to participate if you dont want to,as for the grant scheme i dont expect anything from this and most new plates dont either im happy enough running my own hack and making my own cash ,were now on the last day of january and its been a very good month for those who bother to work full shifts....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:12 pm 
I am not getting at anyone i am just purely stating that all those illegal plates are what is giving our town a bad name they cant be properly insured either from what i hear so again i must state to go and tell on anyone they know is operating an illegal plate i just think it is pure arrogance when they sit at asda and cut up all the new boys that are coming on to the rank and cut up the private hires.

I agree with you scot that once all the illegals get took off the road it should then balance out but to get them off the road they still have to be reported first.