Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:28 pm 

Sussex wrote:
jimbo wrote:
How many people under 30 anywhere want to drive a Taxi/PH?. Under 25's are penalised by the insurance companies, and lets face it, under 30's want to be out on the town on a saturday night, and not driving a taxi!
It is, de facto, an older persons game.

I'm not so sure that's true.

In my manor the % of under 30's owning PHs is considerably higher than the % of under 30's owning taxis. Quite why I'm not sure, but maybe the idea of paying up to £50,000 for a plate is a slight turn off.

Thus maybe the youth of today are brighter than I thought. :wink:

I'm inclined to agree with both of you - let's face it, taxi driving isn't something that people leave school with a mind to doing, and as is often said people tend to fall into it later in life when they realise that they either can't get a job that will pay them as well (perhaps some of the younger ones) or give them the same freedom elsewhere (or perhaps can't get a job at all) - the older ones.

The KOL just exacerbates this - it's not the kind of thing you would consider on leaving school, nor in your twenties either, but perhaps once you get a bit older the prospect of relative security and a decent crust make embarking on the KOL a more attractive prospect.

I think it's basically the same argument as regards why few taxi drivers in London are non-whites, whereas the PH are the other way round - if you're a newly arrived immigrant you don't want to be embarking on the KOL.

New York is the other way round - the yellow taxis are full of newly arrived immigrants because the give badges to anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:41 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
As for the ComCab circuit, I guess they need someone for the local trips that does'nt involve the carriage of single females.

I'm not sure there is anyone bar you who think that ComCab only sub out their local work. :roll:

As for the last bit, somethings just never change. [-(

Ollie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:31 am 

Ollie wrote:
As for the last bit, somethings just never change. [-(

Ollie

Yep, you can say that again Ollie, and they told us this Licensing lark was meant to change it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:33 am 

TDO wrote:
greenbadgecabby wrote:
I work in the London trade, so I have a pretty good grasp of whats happening, and I'm more than happy with what I see.

But you've got a vested interest, so you would say that, innit :D

As much vested interest as your good self I would imagine, or for that matter any other Taxi driver in a de-restricted area. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:34 am 

TDO wrote:
[
Yes, thanks for that, but my question was kind of rhetorical - ie I was alluding to the the question

You allude to much much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:35 am 

TDO wrote:
[question of disproportionality. ie is it really necessary to know central London as well as is currently required?

That's another rhetorical question, by the way, but feel free to answer it if you want. :wink:

I shall.

Yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:23 am 

Told you GBC, these guys are proper "deregulationists"....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:57 am 

187ums wrote:

Yep, Dusty wants a de-restricted London to de-restrict. :-s

I agree, lets have free for all, let all the Minicabs pick up of the street, let New York standards apply! :lol:

Tell us something Dusty, if you were Taxi King, what would be your ideal licensing situation, because it seems whatever anyone does, wherever they are in Great Britain, you will find fault in it somewhere along the line?

Pray tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:58 am 

187ums wrote:

So you think a three year knowlegde is a good thing, and you clearly know more than the bosses (elected ones as that) of a some of the black cab circuits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:36 pm 

Sussex wrote:
187ums wrote:

So you think a three year knowlegde is a good thing, and you clearly know more than the bosses (elected ones as that) of a some of the black cab circuits.

If your refering to Mr Reisel and Kaley, you must ask who elects them nowadays, the drivers or the shareholders?

I suspect if it was the former they would'nt be in charge today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:38 pm 

i think for the big smoke you need a higher level of knowledge, so if it takes three years then so be it. However to make it a free for all, is not right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:51 pm 

187ums wrote:
i think for the big smoke you need a higher level of knowledge, so if it takes three years then so be it. However to make it a free for all, is not right.

I agree.

I think a lot of people underestimate the size, and vast complex of road networks we have to contend with on a day to day basis, which change on a day to day basis.

Sussex found this out recently when he took a job up to Kings Cross taking him and his Sat Nav (?) nearly 2 Hours to get through London!

I suspect GBC would have been in a position to shave about 30 minutes of that, using my Knowledge I gained on the 'K'. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:06 pm 

187ums wrote:

Who mentioned free for all? Certainly not me.

A free for all is what happened before PH were licensed in London. I doubt their is any bigger supporter of London PH licensing (outside of London) than good old Sussex. 8-[

The only thing I want rid of is taxi quotas. Restrictions no, standards yes. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:07 pm 

187ums wrote:

As usual you seem to read these forums very selectively Mr 187ums - I wouldn't expect anyone to read and remember absolutely everything that's written on these forums, but since you've been around a while surely you should know that my position on the raising of entry standards where necessary. In particular, a recent article on this thread, and which has also been on the site's frontpage makes TDO's position clear on the matter, but you said nothing about it when it was at the top of the forum.

But maybe you could have a read now, and we could take it from there:

http://taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2655

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:08 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
Sussex found this out recently when he took a job up to Kings Cross taking him and his Sat Nav (?) nearly 2 Hours to get through London!

I don't have sat nav, can't afford it, but you are right it took me forever.

But if I was doing that run more often, I can tell you it wouldn't take me three years to find the best way. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next