Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:04 pm 

Cab strike spells chaos for clubbers

CLUBBERS face cab chaos this weekend as taxi drivers strike in North Wales' largest town.

Wrexham cabbies are taking action after a row with council bosses over new car door stickers reached breaking point.

At closing time on Saturday an estimated 150 private hire drivers will switch off their engines leaving revellers stranded in Wrexham.

They include drivers from the town's main taxi offices, Cresta, Apollo and Wrexham, and make up the majority of cabbies working on Saturday night.

The council insist under new regulations they must display door stickers identifying them as a taxi driver.

They have six months to comply or face losing their taxi licence.

Private owners say the stickers will deprive them of privacy when they are off-duty and damage the paintwork.

Cresta Cab operator Alan Matthews said they had instead asked for detachable luminous roof signs but the request has fallen on deaf ears.

"I do not know why the council are insisting on this course of action.

"I can really sympathise with the drivers. They are fed up. The last thing they want is to go on strike but the strike is going to go ahead and I think it will cause chaos at the weekend."

Chief Public Protection, Andy Lewis, said: "We were aware of the stickers being an issue with taxi drivers and operators.

"But when we made this decision we had to make it with the safety of the public as our paramount concern.

"I would caution anyone, particularly lone females, to ensure that the vehicle they are entering is a Private Hire Vehicle rather than an ordinary car to ensure their own safety."

In half the country, PH drivers are fighting councils to have some sort of signage on there vehicles, to help identification and allow entry into bus lanes.

Yet in the other half PH drivers are fighting councils not to have them.

Is it no great surprise that nobody loves us. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:39 pm 

i dont see what the problem is. we have PH door stickers, it says the plate number and 'advanced bookings only' across the top. surely they would be in favour of anything that helps stop the illegal touts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:15 pm 

I bet if the council told the lads they could have a big roof sign, they wouldn't mind. :roll:

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject: Wrexham Council
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:25 pm 
:cry: We in Wrexham are continualy being persecuted by the Enforcement Officers!
We now pay 300% more than we did for our badges and plates, than just three or four years ago!
We have to have an enhanced C.B.R. every twelve months! What other career or employment has to do that?
Now they are telling us, 'You can have an ordinary medical yearly or a Super medical every three years!

If we want to do a school contract! We must go for advanced lessons, with there chosen instructor!

We must use the council M.O.T. bay for our tests ! What's wrong with any other approved Ministry Of Transport Station? Are they not strict enough!

When I started in the job 12 years ago, one Enforcement officer stopped more 'Hacking' than the four we have now! (all ex. Police! Why!)

Jobs for the boys! That's what's it all about! And were expected to pay for it!

I earn £20 LESS a week than if I was unemployed! It's only pride that I haven't! I'ts over twenty odd years since I last was on the 'Dole' That's what keeps me from doing so now! :twisted: :( :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:08 pm 

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I presume you don't have the poll tax up there, cos it seems the council is fully funded by the HC/PH trade. :(

Have you asked your council if they CRB teachers, social workers, nursery nurse etc etc every year?

If not, then ask them why not?

As for the rise in license fees, then object to them, get the council to show you their budgets, and where your money goes.

If they don't then refer them to the district auditor.

Mention to them that they had best get their acts in order, cos next year the Freedom of Info Act, will allow you to see nearly everything.

I'm afraid that 'jobs for the boys' is quite common, but don't take it. I most certainly wouldn't.

Object, moan and groan, those three words in the end will help you out.

Providing you object, moan and groan to the right people at the right time. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Wrexham Council
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:08 am 
PeteCentral wrote:
:cry: We in Wrexham are continualy being persecuted by the Enforcement Officers!
We now pay 300% more than we did for our badges and plates, than just three or four years ago!
We have to have an enhanced C.B.R. every twelve months! What other career or employment has to do that?
Now they are telling us, 'You can have an ordinary medical yearly or a Super medical every three years!

If we want to do a school contract! We must go for advanced lessons, with there chosen instructor!

We must use the council M.O.T. bay for our tests ! What's wrong with any other approved Ministry Of Transport Station? Are they not strict enough!

When I started in the job 12 years ago, one Enforcement officer stopped more 'Hacking' than the four we have now! (all ex. Police! Why!)

Jobs for the boys! That's what's it all about! And were expected to pay for it!

I earn £20 LESS a week than if I was unemployed! It's only pride that I haven't! I'ts over twenty odd years since I last was on the 'Dole' That's what keeps me from doing so now! :twisted: :( :cry:

winge winge winge,
if its that bad why are so many doing it that yer cant earn a living?

Post subject: PeteCentral
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:23 pm 
Perhaps I should give it up and join the 'dole wallers' and sit in a pub all day drinking?

Who will worry about the O.A.P. getting to the Hospital, Doctors etc.
Some of us are not in the job too become rich at anybody's expense!

I hold my hands up to being a caring person in our Community, I have been a Community Councillor for four years!

Unfortunately this is no help to us in the fight against a bunch of hardened County Councillors and there 'Pals' the enforcement officers!

Of course it is an election year! And I will be fighting for a big change in Wrexham. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:52 am 
This has finally been resolved.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wale ... 623539.stm
Good thing, or bad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:51 pm 
Taxi Driver Online wrote:
This has finally been resolved.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wale ... 623539.stm
Good thing, or bad?

well bad of course, it seems to be no victory at all!

the endless list of moans and they win this one?

theve been duped!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:32 pm 

There are many bright and intelligent PH drivers, and then there are those working in Wrexham. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:12 pm 
Any ph that says they dont want markings is as daft as a brush.