Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:39 pm 

A taxi passenger mum trying to get a breathless, sick baby to hospital claims police obstructed her in a stand-off about child seats.
Lucy Flynn, 25, ordered a taxi after her 15-month-old son Alex turned red and began wheezing.
Desperate Lucy says she was urgently trying to get the tot to hospital when patrol police officers pulled over the private hire car and insisted that the infant should use a child seat.
During the 20-minute stand-off which ensued, Lucy says she showed officers a government webpage on her phone which showed it was, in fact, legal for a child to be transported in a taxi where the driver doesn’t provide the correct seat.
But the officers are said to have kept mum and her distressed child at the roadside for 20 minutes and even suggested they walk to hospital before finally allowing the driver to complete the journey.
GMP now say they are investigating the mum’s complaint.
Advice from the government’s gov.uk site states: “A child can travel without a child car seat in some circumstances. Taxis and minicabs: If the driver doesn’t provide the correct car seat, children can travel without one - but only if they travel on a rear seat and wear an adult seat belt if they’re 3 or older.”
Little Alex spent seven hours being treated for a viral infection and conjunctivitis at Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital. He has since recovered at home.
But mother-of-two Lucy, from Clayton, has lodged an official complaint and is demanding an apology from Greater Manchester Police.
Lucy, who works in HR, told the M.E.N: “They pulled us over and said ‘you should have a car seat in a taxi - it’s dangerous’. Alex was crying in the taxi. His cheeks were bright red. He was wheezing and breathing really fast.
“I told the police three or four times he was really ill. He was visibly poorly and I told them I wanted to get him to A&E and we didn’t need a car seat because we were in a taxi. It was freezing and I had a little baby in my hands. One of them told me if it was an emergency we should have called an ambulance. I didn’t need an ambulance. I just needed to get to the hospital as best I could. I looked the law up on my phone and showed them it was legal. The officer just said ‘I don’t think that’s the main concern - the main concern at the moment is the child’.
“But they just kept me there and I hadn’t even broken the law. I was panicking. There were four police officers there and surely one of them would know it’s not against the law. The way I was treated was so rude. I feel disgusted and let down. The police are supposed to protect us.”
The law says a child can travel in a taxi without a child seat if the driver has not provided one and if the child is on a rear seat.
A spokesman for GMP said: “We have received a complaint in relation to an incident that took place on Upper Brook Street, Manchester, on Monday 26 December 2016. We are currently investigating this complaint and it would therefore be inappropriate to comment further at this stage.”

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:00 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Little Alex spent seven hours being treated for a viral infection and conjunctivitis at Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital. He has since recovered at home.

no thanks to the boys in blue

the trouble is in todays budget restrained world police forces cannot afford to train their officers

but considering how well they are paid and the opportunities for promotion etc. you would think most officers would do an hour or two a week home study I'm sure they could pick most of the important stuff up in a year like that which would serve them nicely for the exams

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:15 pm 

One of our drivers got pulled on 2 separate occasions by the same officer whilst driving a hackney. The first one was for not using a child seat as above and the second for not wearing a seatbelt.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:10 pm 

I suppose the flip side to all of this is that now the police in that manor have no excuse to get it wrong again.

Hopefully. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:11 pm 

grandad wrote:
One of our drivers got pulled on 2 separate occasions by the same officer whilst driving a hackney. The first one was for not using a child seat as above and the second for not wearing a seatbelt.

The only way these thickos get the message is if members of the public make formal complaints.

The police really don't like that one little bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:19 pm 

They kept trying to give me tickets for unloading on a Bus Stop.

I took the tickets, carried on unloading my WC bound passenger, then went to the Police Station and had them cancelled.

It happened three times. Then the rumour got round that it was legal and it stopped. Just occasionally now a Cop Car pulls up and a new Copper tries it again, I suggest he asks on his radio and when he does he gets the right answer he leaves me alone.

The Bus Companies have tried a couple of times to get Licensing to stop me from doing it, but even that has stopped now.

When a Bus driver gets AR5EY about it, it takes longer to get the ramps in place and the passenger out. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:04 pm 

Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

The only way these thickos get the message is if members of the public make formal complaints.

The police really don't like that one little bit.

The other night a semi drunk punter went up to one of my female drivers and hit her on the arm and said "take me home now" she said no chance with that attitude. He then called her a fat uly bitch. There were 3 coppers within a couple of yard who saw and heard this. She asked them if they were going todo anything about it and there reply was that they couldn't do anything because no offence had been committed.
We will be seeking an urgent meeting with the senior officer at the local station when they open again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:11 am 

Should've asked them what would happen if you thumped a policewoman on the arm and called her a fat ugly bitch. Then when they reply no offence is commited thump them on the arm and call them fat ugly bitches !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:35 pm 

grandad wrote:
The other night a semi drunk punter went up to one of my female drivers and hit her on the arm and said "take me home now" she said no chance with that attitude. He then called her a fat uly bitch. There were 3 coppers within a couple of yard who saw and heard this. She asked them if they were going todo anything about it and there reply was that they couldn't do anything because no offence had been committed.
We will be seeking an urgent meeting with the senior officer at the local station when they open again tomorrow.

As soon as the scumbag touched the driver it was common assault. That is an imprisonable offence, although not based on the incident you described.

However the minimum the scumbag should have got was a caution.