Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:44 pm 

I note that on the New Forest website they are being overwhelmed with applications.

http://www.newforest.gov.uk/article/9558/Taxis

And eleven weeks waiting to test a driver.

http://www.newforest.gov.uk/article/413 ... r-Licences

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:50 pm 

"Medical Form (Alternatively you may provide an HGV or PCV licence as proof of medical fitness)"

really fooks me off the way councils work differently , when i applied for my taxi licence i had a full hgv class 1 , the medical for that wasn't good enough though :roll: , had to pay for another, so in the councils eyes, i needed a medical to take old betty to the shops for £2.50, yet my licence says i can drive a fooking class 1 hgv tanker full of fuel or whatever fooking anywhere in Europe :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:29 pm 

There is nothing in the New Forest bar trees and ponies.

Which is why Uber are flooding the council with applications and then flooding the South.

Part of me has sympathy with the council, but they need to say if you want to license here, then you work here, else f*** off.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:57 pm 

Sussex wrote:
There is nothing in the New Forest bar trees and ponies.

Which is why Uber are flooding the council with applications and then flooding the South.

Part of me has sympathy with the council, but they need to say if you want to license here, then you work here, else f*** off.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:25 pm 

A Private Hire organisation (not sure which one off the top of my head) has E mailed both New Forest and Havant DCs about PH drivers licensed by them but working in Brighton and Hove with Uber. Apparently, they never work in their licensing boroughs.

Havant have responded that the individual concerned lives in the borough and is working for an operator licensed in the borough. Therefore, there is no breach of the law.

I'm not sure if NFBC have responded yet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:22 am 

Where you live has never been an issue, as far as I'm concerned.

The issue is where you work, and the fact that legislation was put in place to allow councils to set conditions for the licensing of the taxi/PH vehicles working in their licensing district.

Nothing unreasonable with that.

However we now have situations throughout the country where that is being bypassed.

Councils can, and some councils do, have requirements that only allow for the licensing of vehicles that actually work in that area, or at least most of the time.

So you are correct that Uber in that area aren't breaching any licensing conditions, but that's only because the local council, alongside a few more licensing councils are too f***ing gutless to act, and too many licensing officers are happy taking the money to ensure they stay in position without having to actually work for a living. [-X

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:46 am 

Sussex wrote:
Where you live has never been an issue, as far as I'm concerned.

The issue is where you work, and the fact that legislation was put in place to allow councils to set conditions for the licensing of the taxi/PH vehicles working in their licensing district.

Nothing unreasonable with that.

However we now have situations throughout the country where that is being bypassed.

Councils can, and some councils do, have requirements that only allow for the licensing of vehicles that actually work in that area, or at least most of the time.

So you are correct that Uber in that area aren't breaching any licensing conditions, but that's only because the local council, alongside a few more licensing councils are too f***ing gutless to act, and too many licensing officers are happy taking the money to ensure they stay in position without having to actually work for a living. [-X

Based on this post do you have a problem with say my mate who lives in South Derbyshire and is licensed by South Derbyshire but the majority of his work is from companies in the Derby city area going to and from Heathrow airport?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:30 pm 

The question arises as to why he doesn't license in the area to which he predominately works?

Would you be happy if a dozen of his Derby mates started working in your area, under the rules set by another counci?

Is there anyone who actually thinks that those who drafted and those who passed the legalisation wanted what we are seeing?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:14 pm 

Sussex wrote:
The question arises as to why he doesn't license in the area to which he predominately works?

Would you be happy if a dozen of his Derby mates started working in your area, under the rules set by another counci?

Is there anyone who actually thinks that those who drafted and those who passed the legalisation wanted what we are seeing?

Yes me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:43 pm 

Sussex wrote:

Because he has his office is in South Derbyshire.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:51 pm 

PLEASE NOTE:
In respect of Knowsley MBC licensed private hire drivers before a licence can be obtained you will be required to declare, on application, that you will only work through Knowsley-licensed private hire operators and that you intend to work solely or mainly in the Knowsley MBC prescribed distance and adjacent areas. Any person wishing to mainly work in a remotely located area other than the above should apply to be licensed by the council whose area or district consists of or includes that remote district.
Licensing Office hours for new driver applicants  at Huyton are now 0930-1330 Tuesday to Thursday only (excluding Bank Holidays). If you attend on a day when too many callers have arrived before you then you may be given an appointment slot for a later date (at the council’s discretion).

http://www.knowsley.gov.uk/business/app ... r-licences

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:40 pm 

Where should a driver who does only airport transfers be licensed? In the borough where the main airport that they go to is situated, the borough where the company who most of the work is invoiced or the borough where most of the customers who work for the companies that pay the bills live because that can be anywhere within a 30 mile radius of the customers base? Or should he be licensed where he lives and has been based for the last 20 years without any problems and most of the jobs do actually go through that Borough at some point of the journey?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:33 pm 

grandad wrote:
Where should a driver who does only airport transfers be licensed? In the borough where the main airport that they go to is situated, the borough where the company who most of the work is invoiced or the borough where most of the customers who work for the companies that pay the bills live because that can be anywhere within a 30 mile radius of the customers base? Or should he be licensed where he lives and has been based for the last 20 years without any problems and most of the jobs do actually go through that Borough at some point of the journey?

D B F S.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:14 pm 

grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Because he has his office is in South Derbyshire.

But he is allowed to license anywhere, provided he meets the local requirements.

However he chooses not to, due no doubt to the low requirements of where he is licensed.

He should be on Uber because they are two of a kind.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:25 pm 

Sussex wrote:
But he is allowed to license anywhere, provided he meets the local requirements.

However he chooses not to, due no doubt to the low requirements of where he is licensed.

He should be on Uber because they are two of a kind.

His work used to be mainly in South Derbyshire but as time has moved on his work has changed he has always been licensed in South Derbyshire and it has nothing to do with low requirements. He is driving a very nice Mercedes E class, but that is irrelevant. He has corporate customers from Nottingham Derby, near Mansfield, Swadlincote and various other licensing areas. So where should he be licensed? All his worked through his office. He has a private hire operators license and his vehicle license and drivers license all match. So tell me what Council he should license with.