Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Plymouth Hero Cab driver
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:50 pm 

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/hero-ta ... story.html

A hero taxi driver tried in vain to save a woman's life as her car burst into flames.

Details are emerging from last night's horror crash near Plymouth, where a 34-year-old woman died.

A witness who wants to remain anonymous, but lives on a farm near the B3362, where the two-car crash happened, said it was "too late" for anyone to help.

She described as she and her landlord rushed to the scene with a fire extinguisher after she saw the flames from the farm.

"I wish I has done more," said the 25-year-old. "I don't want to be seen as a hero.

"There was so many other people involved, but a taxi driver witnessed the whole thing and he tried to get [the woman] out of her car.

"By that point it was too late, but you have to put yourself first, don't you."

The crash happened near Shortburn Farm

Police are appealing for witnesses following the fatal collision in Tavistock yesterday, March 9, in which a woman died.

Emergency services were called at 6.40pm following the collision between a blue Peugeot 206 and a black Audi A4 on the B3362 near Milton Abbot.

The Peugeot driver, a 34-year-old woman from Tavistock, was trapped in the vehicle and sustained fatal injuries. She was pronounced deceased at the scene. Police say her next of kin have been informed.

The driver of the Audi, a man in his 30s from Yelverton, sustained what is believed to be minor injuries and was taken to Derriford Hospital.

The witness said: "I didn't witness the crash, but I can't stop thinking about it and kicking myself that I could have done more.

"The car went up in flames so quickly, and the horn was going off for so long. We drove so fast from the farm to get there, but when we arrived the car was completely alight.

"There was nothing anybody could do, and by that point we had to protect ourselves."

The flames could be seen from houses nearby

She said she was alerted to the crash after her landlord knocked on her front door.

"He said that somebody was trapped in a burning car," she recalled, "so we got there as fast as we could.

"It happened at about 5.40pm, but we didn't get to them until about 6.15pm and it was just too late.

"My thoughts go out to the driver's family."

The road, near Shortburn Farm, was closed for nine hours while officers from the serious collisions investigation team and the roads policing team carried out an examination of the scene.

Officers are appealing for witnesses to the incident and would also like to hear from anyone who may have seen the vehicles travelling on the B3362 prior to the incident.

Anyone who may have information is asked to contact police via 101@dc.police.uk or telephone 101, quoting log number 774 of 09/03/17.