Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:50 pm 

Rob Marris Labour, Wolverhampton South West

Will the publication that the Minister has just generously promised encompass aspects of air pollution?

John Hayes Minister of State (Department for Transport)

As a separate matter, I am personally associated—“associated” is a rather slight way of putting it, actually—with the production of the Government’s new air quality plan. We have committed as a Government to produce that plan by the summer and will present a draft very shortly—this spring. I work with Ministers from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs alarmingly regularly.

Indeed, I said the other day to the Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, my hon. Friend Dr Coffey, that I see her more often than my family. It is important that that plan is consistent with our strategy for promoting ultra low emission vehicles. It must be—they are an important part of achieving what we seek, which is that, by 2050, all vehicles are low-emission vehicles, with a consequent effect on emissions and air quality. New clause 4 deals with air quality anyway, so I have no doubt that we will debate that at greater length.

I do not want to go too much further at this juncture, except to say that the money we are spending on electric vehicles needs to be emphasised.

The hon. Member for Birmingham, Northfield raised this, so I want to be crystal clear.

During this Parliament, we will invest well over £600 million to support low-emission vehicles. That includes subsidising the purchase of new vehicles by consumers; £80 million for subsidising the cost of the charging infrastructure, with grants of £500 off the cost of home installation and similar support for charge points on streets and in workplaces; £150 million to support the adoption of the cleanest buses and taxis, and more than £100 million to fund research and development of new zero-emission technologies, building on the UK’s well-regarded scientific and automotive sectors.

That is on top of the £270 million industrial strategy fund that the hon. Member for Birmingham, Northfield referred to, some of which will support the development, design and manufacture of the batteries that will power the next generation of electric vehicles. That adds up to a comprehensive package of measures—as comprehensive as almost any Government’s—but I accept that money alone is not enough, and I do not say that it is. Advocacy and legislation matter, too, which is why we introduced the Bill.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/pbc/2016 ... axi#g228.3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:55 pm 

politics sub forum? :roll: