Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:36 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/taxi-pollution-energy-birmingham-council-12788705

The streets of Birmingham could soon be lined with almost 200 electric taxi charging points in a bid to encourage drivers to ditch their polluting petrol and diesel cars.

Birmingham City Council has been given a £2.9 million Department for Transport grant to install the charging points.

There will be two super charging points at Tyseley Energy Park , off the A45, and at Birmingham New Street Stations Ellis Street car park where black cabs queue for commuters.

Seven more locations have been earmarked including Star City in Nechells, Digbeth Coach Station, the QE Hospital and Sheepcote Street, near Brindleyplace.

And more charging points will be scattered around the A4040 Outer Ring Road, on or near to the main arterial routes into Birmingham and will be made available to private hire cars, as well as Hackney Carriages.

Electric taxis being built at the London Taxi Company plant at Ansty (Photo: Darren Quinton)
Birmingham's air is so bad the European Union has waded in

Birmingham City Council has been ordered to take steps to reduce the dangerously high levels of pollution by 20201 or face a £60 million fine. Plans are already advanced for a clean air zone under which high polluting vans, lorries and coaches will be charged to enter the city centre.

The council last month threatened to revoke licences for 500 older high polluting cabs by the end of the year and are in talks with the trade, which has objected to the short-notice given to drivers.

Birmingham’s taxi fleet currently numbers 1,229 Hackney carriages and 4,060 private hire vehicles, and the council is working towards a 50 per cent uptake of ultra-low or zero-emissions vehicles across the entire fleet by 2020.

Cllr Lisa Trickett, cabinet member with responsibility for air quality at Birmingham City Council, said: “Everyone living and working in the city has the right to clean air and our taxi fleet will play a key role in helping us to achieve this, so I am absolutely delighted that we have been successful in our bid for this crucial funding.

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:03 pm 

Total and utter cock up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:30 am 

This N0x scare is just another trendy buzzword, they have just found a convenient factor to pin the blame on, It's not as if suddenly an Extra 40,000 die each year that would not have died in anycase, it's simply being used by the Green lobby to get their way on banning anything they don't like.

Politicians and Local Councils just love embrace every scare story they can just to make them appear trendy and up to speed, Slip in the must have Buzzwords where and when the can, Previous Buzzwords now forgotten were "Hole In the Ozone Layer" , "Frankenfoods", "Oil Crisis" "Acid Rain" etc...all were to be the death of us yet we are still here. They have now tired of CO2 and N0x is in...

God, as if it's not heard enough to make a living they expect us to discard £billions Nationally on Discarding Diesels just to appease the Good the Green and the Trendy...Of course we cannot prove otherwise as they will always twist the Scientific results until they get the anwsers they want to hear.

Rather makes you think..Is it fechin worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:16 pm 

It is estimated that approximately 900 people die every year in Birmingham because of air pollution.
FACT: Another word for 'estimate' is 'guess'.
FACT: When I phoned the Registrar's Office in Birmingham & asked them to provide me with death certificates for the 900 people whose cause of death was air pollution in Birmingham I was told they had no recorded deaths from that cause.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:18 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
It is estimated that approximately 900 people die every year in Birmingham because of air pollution.
FACT: When I phoned the Registrar's Office in Birmingham & asked them to provide me with death certificates for the 900 people whose cause of death was air pollution in Birmingham I was told they had no recorded deaths from that cause.

=D> =D> =D>

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:49 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:

What you mean the tree hugging lobby aren't telling the truth? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:18 pm 

Yes Sussex, TREE HUGGING LOBBY is correct!
Or to be more precise, TREE HUGGING ANARCHISTS!

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:40 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>