Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:39 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
its all gone pete tong :D

A BOSS at a Bradford minicab firm is demanding action from police after claims his drivers are being attacked in a spate of “distraction robberies.”

Ken Ives, general manager at Euro Cars Private Hire Ltd, based in Tong Street, said three incidents had been reported in the past two weeks – two in Bierley and one in Holme Wood.

In the latest incident on Sunday afternoon, one driver, Abdul Kayani, had a wallet stolen with around £300 cash inside and all his identification and immigration documents.

The company complained of some of its 180 drivers being targeted by “missiles” such as bricks and stones which damaged a number of cars in both 2014 and again last year, but Mr Ives said the attacks were becoming more serious.

“The incidents had just been things like kids throwing stones, but they’ve escalated to robberies now,” he said.

“It used to be just for the sake of doing it, but now they’ve got an ulterior motive. I’ve sent a message out to all the drivers making sure they don’t carry that much money with them at any one time.

“It is costing us drivers. Some are very apprehensive about going onto the Holme Wood estate, even though most of our local business comes from there.

“We just want to see police doing something about it. There is CCTV footage of this latest incident. I have been to meetings and police are saying they are short-staffed with all the budget cuts, and reporting someone stealing from a taxi goes to the bottom of the pile.

“We need to see a police presence as a deterrent. These are distraction robberies. I know that drivers from other companies have been suffering as well. Everybody is at-risk.”

Driver Sajwal Hussain said his colleague Mr Kayani had been parked outside a house on Landscove Avenue in Holme Wood when a group of three youths, aged around 14 to 16, threw stones at the car.

As he got out to assess the damage, the youths grabbed the wallet from his passenger door and ran off.

Mr Hussain said: “This is very urgent, very serious.

“It is not just this one robbery, there have been others in the last three weeks. It’s getting too much. The problem had improved but it’s all started again.”

The firm said it had contacted Bradford MP’s Imran Hussain and Naz Shah about the problem, along with local councillor Alan Wainwright (Lab, Tong), but the latter said he was “disappointed” the issue was being “sensationalised.”

He said: “It is one incident, and it is being dealt with. I am happy with the police response and there’s been good work done in the area over the last few months.

“If they (Euro Cars) don’t want to come onto Holme Wood, then other companies will.

“They are too many taxis on the estate as it is.”

Police said they had logged Sunday’s incident as having taken place on Kesteven Road, with the suspect opening the boot of the car to entice the victim out before then stealing the wallet.

Inspector Dan Ware, of Bradford South Neighbourhood Policing Team, said: “All crimes against taxi drivers are taken seriously and our neighbourhood teams regularly work with the local authority, taxi firms, and other partner organisations to prevent crimes against drivers.

“I would urge taxi drivers to remain vigilant while working and to report all incidents to police.

“Our enquiries remain ongoing into the theft of the driver’s wallet and I would ask anyone who has any information on the incident to contact police on 101, quoting crime reference 13170265001.”

was the robbery a cover to gain access to official docs to forge more ?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !