Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:14 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Air quality news !!

Taxi drivers are keen to use low emission alternatives to diesel vehicles, but barriers including cost may be preventing a switch, research published ahead of the UK’s first National Clean Air Day has suggested.

The ‘Cabbies for Clean Air’ research, which was jointly compiled by the behaviour change charity Global Action Plan, and LPG fuel supplier Calor, saw 19 taxi drivers in London, Southampton and Glasgow interviewed on the issue of air pollution.

Taxis

According to the research, drivers are concerned about the impact of air pollution on their health while being exposed to vehicle emissions for 8-12 hours during the working day, as well as potential health impacts on the wider population.

The drivers interviewed expressed their desire to tackle the problem, but claimed that the cost of switching to lower emission vehicles is seen as a significant barrier to change, with some cab drivers interviewed describing the move to zero emission electric vehicles as ‘unaffordable’.

Commenting on the research, Peter Bond, senior union rep at Unite and London taxi driver, said: “London taxis obviously contribute to the emissions problem in London with NOx and particulates and we have to accept that we are part of the problem. We fully support initiatives to go to electric or zero emission capable vehicles but this has to be done alongside schemes that can help taxi drivers.”

Electric

The research suggests that the cost for a new diesel back cab is around £45,000 – whilst the latest electric models are claimed to cost significantly more, with one driver in Scotland quoting a £60,000 cost for an electric vehicle.

“We fully support initiatives to go to electric or zero emission capable vehicles but this has to be done alongside schemes that can help taxi drivers.” – Peter Bond, London taxi driver and Unite rep

Support for cabbies to switch to low emission electric vehicles is available, and in March the government announced a £50 million Plug-in Taxi Grant programme, which includes offering taxi drivers up to £7,500 off the price of a new vehicle.

However, the Cabbies for Clean Air report has claimed that subsidy schemes “have not gone nearly far enough” to support the roll out of more electric cabs.

The ‘Cabbies for Clean Air’ report has been released ahead of National Clean Air Day on Thursday (15 June)
It is expected that electric taxis will become more price competitive with their diesel counterparts as more vehicles enter the market, with the first new TX5 zero emission taxis from the London Taxi Company’s Coventry plant due to go on sale from September 2017, among new models emerging. London Taxi Company has yet to confirm the market price for the TX5.

Availability of charging infrastructure, vehicle range and charge times were also quoted as potential barriers to investment in electric vehicles.

Retrofit

Other low emission options exist for taxi drivers, including liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). Calor, which backed the report, supplies LPG as an alternative fuel through Autogas Limited, a joint venture with Shell.

The company claims that LPG presents an ‘affordable solution’ to reducing vehicle emissions as diesel engines can be converted to run on the fuel, which offers reduced emission levels, at a cost of around £10,000.

Commenting on the findings of the report, Rebecca Hart, corporate affairs manager at Calor, said: “It is important that the views of taxi drivers are understood and considered. Policies aimed at improving our air are rightly being prioritised, but taxi drivers need affordable and readily available solutions to bring their emissions down quickly and get older diesel models off the road.

“Calor believes LP-gas retrofit represents this affordable transition solution. At £10,000, retrofit to LPG will drastically reduce emissions on NOx, PM and carbon and is ULEZ compliant. The government’s new Clean Air Strategy consultation points towards funding that would give taxi drivers support for retrofit which should be given serious consideration by politicians as part of an immediate solution to the air quality challenge.”

The research added that taxi drivers and unions such as Unite are keen to engage in ‘open dialogue’ with local and central government to discuss policies which affect them and other road users.

Chris Large, senior partner of National Clean Air Day organiser Global Action Plan, added: “It is incredible to see the passion that cab drivers have for creating cleaner air in their cities, especially for the sake of children. They have some fantastic ideas for solutions and they clearly want to be a central part of the movement that cleans up air pollution.”

Elsewhere in the report, taxi drivers also expressed concern about an increasing numbers of vehicles on the roads, in particular a rising number of private hire vehicles, but were supportive of schemes to improve cycling and use of public transport, and called for taxis to be considered as part of a ‘holistic’ approach to infrastructure.

Stuart Hope, a London taxi driver surveyed as part of the project, said: “If someone wants to implement an idea then work alongside the taxi trade so we can actually be the solution and not the problem.”

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:57 pm 

Mate of mine is getting an electric car licensed soon as a PH.

Think it's a Kia, with a 200 mile max battery charge.

He is super keen and has worked out where he can recharge etc.

But personally I'm yet to be convinced. :-k

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 pm 

Sussex wrote:

I'd struggle to get to the Airport and back once with that kind of range, I suppose it'll come down by a half in winter with all the lights, wipers and heater going..maybe even less because batteries lose efficiency the colder it gets..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:26 pm 

Sussex wrote:

Luckily for him you can buy lot's of second hand sails in Brighton

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:24 pm 

I suppose until the big car manufacturers invest in electric cars in a more serious manner then we are going to be left with niche cars doing niche work.

If I could get a 100% electric Mondeo with a range of 400 miles, then I would happily buy one, but until then it's that fossil stuff for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:31 pm 

don't forget Tesla is building that huge factory to build a new design if LiH cell which is supposed to hold 40 percent more charge so ranges will improve in a few years time.

but most importantly of all. There has been a breakthrough recently by a team of scientists led by the inventor of the LiH battery which will allow rapid charging in minutes not hours and if that comes to fruition Electric cars will become a useful vehicle for taxi work

at the moments the sceptics say the new design defies the laws of physics but we'll see

Now is not the time to buy an electric car BUT I suspect we will all be driving one in 10 years time :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:08 pm 

edders23 wrote:
don't forget Tesla is building that huge factory to build a new design if LiH cell which is supposed to hold 40 percent more charge so ranges will improve in a few years time.

but most importantly of all. There has been a breakthrough recently by a team of scientists led by the inventor of the LiH battery which will allow rapid charging in minutes not hours and if that comes to fruition Electric cars will become a useful vehicle for taxi work

at the moments the sceptics say the new design defies the laws of physics but we'll see

Now is not the time to buy an electric car BUT I suspect we will all be driving one in 10 years time :wink:

Well...they had better get the £70,000 Price tag down to around £20,000...then I might get interested.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:09 am 

my understanding is that batteries from this new plant will not be Tesla only but if the other breakthrough is made a reality within a few years that will be the battery of choice for everything

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:01 pm 

Don't swallow the cost of EV charging is much cheaper schect :shock:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28054738

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:18 pm 

Misleading article from the BBC (surprise).
Electric vehicles don't cost £8000 more than their petrol equivalent, more like £2-3k more.
The higher cost is based on using public charging points, which at £7.50 for 1/2 hour/60 miles is more expensive, but if you charge at home it's only 2p.

For some people electric vehicles will cost more over their lifetime, but for high annual mileage, non motorway driving owners doing less than 100 miles a day they will probably be a lot cheaper overall.
As technology improves, range/charging time gets better, the cost of fuel rises and the cost of electric vehicles comes down then the difference in running costs between electric and conventional will be more favourable to electric.

Lets argue again in 20 years.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:56 pm 

sasha wrote:
Misleading article from the BBC (surprise).
Electric vehicles don't cost £8000 more than their petrol equivalent, more like £2-3k more.
The higher cost is based on using public charging points, which at £7.50 for 1/2 hour/60 miles is more expensive, but if you charge at home it's only 2p.

For some people electric vehicles will cost more over their lifetime, but for high annual mileage, non motorway driving owners doing less than 100 miles a day they will probably be a lot cheaper overall.
As technology improves, range/charging time gets better, the cost of fuel rises and the cost of electric vehicles comes down then the difference in running costs between electric and conventional will be more favourable to electric.

Lets argue again in 20 years.

Fech..I'll likely be beyond an argument in 20 years :sad: