Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:00 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
https://www.mix96.co.uk/news/local/2321403/12-taxi-drivers-caught-breaching-rules-in-latest-checks/

Twelve taxi drivers in Aylesbury Vale have been dealt with for licensing offences in the latest round of checks.
Police were out with AVDC, who found drivers without ID badges and cars which weren't meeting standards.
They also arrested a shoplifter who got into a taxi with £133 worth of stolen meat.
The checks
The aim of the operation, which took place on 24 June in Aylesbury, Buckingham, Bletchley and Milton Keynes, was to conduct checks on private hire and hackney carriage vehicles and drivers.
The vehicles were checked for defects by the Roads Safety Officer and to establish correct driving licence and insurance.
The Licensing Officers from AVDC checked the condition of the vehicles met the standards set by the Council and drivers held the correct licensing documentation.
Private hire vehicles licensed by Aylesbury Vale are required to display exterior signage which includes, rear licensing plate which must be fixed to the outside rear of the vehicle, front licensing plate in windscreen and side door stickers stating “ADVANCE BOOKINGS ONLY”.
Private hire drivers and Hackney carriage drivers are required to wear their driver ID badge and for it to be visible to the passengers.
They are not allowed to smoke in their vehicles at any time.
In total 17 Private Hire vehicles and 1 Hackney Carriage vehicle were stopped. A shoplifter was detained after getting back into a private hire vehicle having stolen £133 worth of meat during the check.
One vehicle could not open its boot, and received an immediate suspension notice.
Several vehicles had magnetic door signs which were removed by AVDC and disposed of. The door signs must be firmly stuck onto the body of the vehicle so that it can be easily seen to be a private hire vehicle all of the time.
Consequences
AVDC dealt with 12 drivers for licensing offences, which included drivers not wearing ID badges, not displaying correct vehicle signage, having damage to the vehicles and failing to have a first aid kit and/or fire extinguisher.
They were given penalty points which are attributed to their private hire or hackney carriage driver licence and given 14 days in which to rectify any defects found or face further action. Licensed drivers can only have 12 points on their licence before they run the risk of losing their private hire or hackney carriage driver licence.
Police Constable Liz Johnson, the Road Safety Officer said:
“This was another successful operation and removed unsafe vehicles from the road.
"I would urge all drivers to check their vehicles on a weekly basis and ensure that they comply with the licensing conditions.”
Lindsey Vallis, AVDC’s Group Manager for Regulatory Services said:
‘’The results clearly show that joint operations of this nature with Thames Valley Police are invaluable in ensuring public safety.
"Licence holders must abide by the conditions of their licences or risk further action being taken.
"Operations will continue to take place to ensure that standards improve.”

what is it with AV and MK ph they seem to always be incapable of sticking to the rules

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:22 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Several vehicles had magnetic door signs which were removed by AVDC and disposed of.

Otherwise called theft and/or crinimal damage.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:14 pm 

I have never understood the reasoning for telling drivers they have to wear their badge because if the passenger sits behind you how is it visible to them, mines hanging just below my rear view mirror where it can be seen from every seat.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:13 pm 

Midlife martyr wrote:
I have never understood the reasoning for telling drivers they have to wear their badge because if the passenger sits behind you how is it visible to them, mines hanging just below my rear view mirror where it can be seen from every seat.

Because it says in the act that you have to. Some councils also produce an I D for you to display in your vehicle.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:15 am 

Midlife martyr wrote:

I agree, and as MCF mentioned many councils also have a windscreen badge mirroring what we should be wearing on our body.

I also agree a bit more :D when one considers that many of the new data systems text punters with your picture anyway.