Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:56 am 

Uber deserved to lose its licence – Londoners’ safety must come first

Our city is a hotbed of innovation and entrepreneurship. That’s because it’s renowned as a place where everyone has to play by the same rules

From the steam engine to the web, Britain has a long history of inventing and embracing brilliant new technology, often with London leading the way with the very latest developments.

In recent years, we have seen great leaps forward in areas such as green technology, medical innovations and contactless payments on the underground, but also with mobile phone applications that can make the lives of Londoners easier – whether it’s ordering food, renting a flat or doing financial transactions.

As we move through the next stage of 21st century innovation, I want London to continue to be at the forefront of these developments and to be a natural home for exciting new companies that help Londoners by providing a better and more affordable service.

I welcome and embrace these innovations - not only because they can improve the everyday lives of Londoners, but because they can spark new ideas for business, new possibilities for jobs in our city and new opportunities to cement London as a global capital of digital technology.

However, as with every other sector doing business in this city, from the financial services to manufacturing, all companies in London must play by the rules and adhere to the high standards we expect – above all when it comes to the safety of customers.

Providing an innovative service is not an excuse for it being unsafe.

Today, Transport for London has made the formal decision not to renew Uber’s operating licence. This was made independently by TfL as the regulator. I know this decision will be controversial in some quarters. Uber has become a popular service for many Londoners. But I fully understand the decision that has been taken.

It would be simply wrong for TfL to continue to license Uber if there was any way this could pose a threat to Londoners’ safety or security. TfL has said it believes Uber’s conduct demonstrates a lack of corporate responsibility around a number of issues that have potential public safety and security implications. These include Uber’s approach to reporting serious criminal offences, and the way it obtains medical certificates and security checks (Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service) for their drivers.

All private-hire operators in London need to play by the rules. The safety and security of customers must be paramount.

Uber’s current licence does not expire until the end of September so the service will continue, for now. The company will also be able to continue to operate until the appeals process has been exhausted.

Around the world, new private-hire vehicle companies and other disruptive technology businesses are springing up all the time, with new and different ways of working. We know it is possible to combine innovative technology within these fields while also ensuring the necessary safety standards are met. It would not be right for exceptions to be made.

I have repeatedly said the regulatory environment is critical in protecting Londoners’ safety, maintaining workplace standards for drivers and sustaining a vibrant taxi and private hire market with space for a range of providers to flourish. It is not simply regulation for regulation’s sake.

One of the reasons why London has become such a success with international business over centuries is because of our professionalism and sense of British fair play, with transparent rules, laws and regulations. This ensures that all companies are treated equally – something we would never want to lose.

I suspect it will take some time before this situation with Uber fully plays out. In the meantime, I will continue my work to help support innovative businesses in London and to create a vibrant and safe taxi and private hire market.

During the mayoral election, I promised I would be the most pro-business mayor London has ever had. That promise is reflected in the work we are doing from City Hall to support companies and entrepreneurs who are reinventing and reviving many of our traditional business sectors.

As we go forward in the months and years ahead, I know London will continue to be an incredible hotbed of innovation and new technology, as well as a city where businesses understand that they have no choice but to adhere to the rules like everyone else – especially when it comes to the safety of Londoners.

• Sadiq Khan is the mayor of London

source: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... don-safety

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:30 am 

I see the latest whine is that 40,000 Uber drivers will lose their Jobs if TFL pulls the plug, surely as Uber themselves have been arguing for long enough they do not employ nor have 40,000 drivers, all they say they have are self employed drivers that do work for Uber, It's not TFLs fault if all those Independent drivers put all their Eggs in the UBER basket, lets be honest, It's not the customer demand or work that is drying up it's simply the means of allocating that demand for work that is going to change, Uber never created any additional Taxi/PH demand when they appeared on the scene and nor will they remove any future demand when they go.

the 40,000 PH drivers will have to find another way to tap into the demand vacuum left behind by Uber...no one is removing a need of their services, they'll just have to Adopt, adapt and Improve just as the other Hacks and PH's had to do when Uber decended on London, in theory the work that kept Ubers 40,000 drivers in a living is still going to be there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:13 pm 

Every 25% of every fare that uber liberate from the drivers moves them one step closer to driverless cars. Will they care about the 40,000 drivers when they achieve that?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:11 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
From the steam engine to the web, Britain has a long history of inventing and embracing brilliant new technology, often with London leading the way with the very latest developments.

so the steam engine was invented in london was it :---) :---) :---) :---) :---)

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:38 pm 

jimbo wrote:
Every 25% of every fare that uber liberate from the drivers moves them one step closer to driverless cars. Will they care about the 40,000 drivers when they achieve that?

Is a very good point.

If Uber really cared about those so-called 40,000 drivers why are they spending billions devising a process that will eventually put the 40,000 out of business.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:42 pm 

As for the article I think the Mayor makes some good points.

But I wouldn't get too worried about the 'we're not allowing tech advance stuff', as it's here and all the firms are offering systems as good if not better than Uber.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:34 pm 

The drivers will just need to join another circuit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:39 pm 

grandad wrote:
The drivers will just need to join another circuit.

Most of them already are.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:21 pm 

so we can expect a price war between the circuits next as they try and find enough work for all these drivers :?:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:45 pm 

edders23 wrote:
so we can expect a price war between the circuits next as they try and find enough work for all these drivers :?:

The work is already there. It is being done by the uber drivers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:58 pm 

not sure the customers would automatically switch i suspect other apps such as hailo and gett will pick up a sizeable chunk there is bound to be some mismatch between where the work goes and where the drivers end up

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:59 pm 

edders23 wrote:

Punters aren't going to disappear, and if Uber has oodles of work in London why are 1000s of their TfL cars working outside of London 24/7?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:13 pm 

Sussex wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Punters aren't going to disappear, and if Uber has oodles of work in London why are 1000s of their TfL cars working outside of London 24/7?

There are TfL licensed cars working for Uber in the northern region.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:37 pm 

Tim Roache Gen Sec GMB made a good speech about this today at. Labour conference sure its online somewhere !

remember Dave Cameron and George Osborne blagged Boris not too take action against Uber years ago typical Tory vermin eh Grandad :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Now addy lee get thumped :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: could have been done years ago if the drivers had the bollocks the GMB were willing #-o #-o

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.u

F88K EM ALL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:59 am 

trotskys twin wrote:
Tim Roache Gen Sec GMB made a good speech about this today at. Labour conference sure its online somewhere !

remember Dave Cameron and George Osborne blagged Boris not too take action against Uber years ago typical Tory vermin eh Grandad :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Now addy lee get thumped :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: could have been done years ago if the drivers had the bollocks the GMB were willing #-o #-o

No response from grandad about his Tory vermin ..................anyone surprised ??

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.u

F88K EM ALL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE