Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:02 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41384499

London Mayor Sadiq Khan has asked the city's transport regulator to be available to meet Uber's boss after the firm apologised.

Uber chief executive Dara Khosrowshahi said he was sorry for the "mistakes we've made" after the taxi-hailing firm lost its London licence.

He said in an open letter that Uber would appeal against the city's decision, but accepts it "must change".

On Friday, Transport for London (TfL) denied Uber a new licence to operate.
Mr Khan said: "I welcome the apology from Dara Khosrowshahi, the Uber CEO. Obviously I am pleased that he has acknowledged the issues that Uber faces in London.
"Even though there is a legal process in place, I have asked TfL to make themselves available to meet with him.

TfL cited concerns over public safety and security in its decision not to renew Uber's London licence.
However, Uber says it has followed the regulator's rules and works closely with the Metropolitan Police.

Mr Khosrowshahi, who took over at Uber less than a month ago, wrote on Monday: "While Uber has revolutionised the way people move in cities around the world, it's equally true that we've got things wrong along the way.
"On behalf of everyone at Uber globally, I apologise for the mistakes we've made."
In a letter addressed to Londoners, the new Uber boss said the firm "won't be perfect, but we will listen to you".

Dara Khosrowshahi took over as Uber boss last month after Travis Kalanick resigned

Earlier, the Mayor of London said Uber had put "unfair pressure" on TfL, with an "army" of PR experts and lawyers.

Mr Khan, who is also chairman of TfL, told the BBC: "What you can't do is have a situation where unfair pressure is brought on a quasi-judicial body, where there are officials working incredibly hard.
"I appreciate Uber has an army of PR experts, I appreciate Uber has an army of lawyers - they've also made aggressive threats about taking us to court."

When asked if he would meet Uber personally, the mayor said it would be "improper for politicians to interfere with a quasi-judicial matter".

The mayor's office said Mr Khan would not be directly involved in discussions or meetings with Uber if they took place.

While Mr Khan chairs the TfL board, according to the organisation he was not involved in the process of deciding whether to issue Uber with a licence.

That is handled by TfL's taxi and private hire department.
Uber is keen to hold talks with officials from that department "as soon as possible", Fred Jones, a senior executive with Uber in the UK, told the Today Programme.

Over 750,000 people have signed an online petition to keep Uber operating
Mr Jones said that Uber was "not clear" about the issues raised by TfL when it denied the company a licence.

One of the points raised by TfL was Uber's "approach to how Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks are obtained" for its drivers.
That part of the process was not even handled by Uber, said Mr Jones. Instead, the drivers organised their own DBS check and took that paperwork to TfL.

TfL then reviews that application before giving the driver a licence allowing them to drive for Uber.
TfL would not elaborate further on its issue with the way in which Uber organises DBS checks, because that would be likely to come up when Uber appealed against the decision.
It would only repeat that it was Uber's "approach" to DBS checks that was the problem.

More than 750,000 people have signed an online petition in a bid to keep Uber operating in London after its licence expires on 30 September.

if i was a betting man i would wager that Uber will promise all sorts of changes in exchange for a renewal of license and TFL will decide they have to give it to them especially considering the amount of money involved and what that would do for TFL finances

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:32 pm 

you would lose your dough Uber will have to in light of the worker ruling adjust its employment practices :badgrin: :badgrin: pigs might fly, the most interesting thing is that virtually every PH company in London is vulnerable on this point :badgrin: :badgrin: as Addy Lee found out today courtesy of the GMBPDB seen a couple of interviews by ******** and he did well =D> =D> credit where its due =D> =D> =D> as did Mick Hildreth =D> =D> =D> =D>

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.u

F88K EM ALL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:46 pm 

trotskys twin wrote:
you would lose your dough Uber will have to in light of the worker ruling adjust its employment practices :badgrin: :badgrin: pigs might fly, the most interesting thing is that virtually every PH company in London is vulnerable on this point :badgrin: :badgrin: as Addy Lee found out today courtesy of the GMBPDB seen a couple of interviews by ******** and he did well =D> =D> credit where its due =D> =D> =D> as did Mick Hildreth =D> =D> =D> =D>

One of the practices that needs addressing and this does not just apply to Uber or Addison Lee but probably every other private hire operator who are going to have to abide by the Tribunals decision is the use of part time/self employed(ruse) drivers who jump into a vehicle after completing a days work elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:16 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
trotskys twin wrote:

we'll see Uber have loads of lawyers working on getting round the "problem"

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:28 am 

heathcote wrote:
trotskys twin wrote:

One of the practices that needs addressing and this does not just apply to Uber or Addison Lee but probably every other private hire operator who are going to have to abide by the Tribunals decision is the use of part time/self employed(ruse) drivers who jump into a vehicle after completing a days work elsewhere.

Heathy the working Time Directive will shore up that little racket ...................they're fekked :D :D :D :D

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:31 am 

edders23 wrote:
trotskys twin wrote:

we'll see Uber have loads of lawyers working on getting round the "problem"

Well i know what my money is on ....................................Khan grovelled yesterday at Conference he's seen the light :D :D :D that said he's a no good piece of sh!t :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:06 pm 

heathcote wrote:
trotskys twin wrote:

Not just private hire operator, Hackney carriage proprietors should also be covering those journeymen driving their cabs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:04 pm 

The biggest problem I can see is enforcement.
I have been offering full time on the books jobs through the job centre for nearly 3 months without a single application. Most, if not all of our self employed drivers would leave if I told them they had to be employees because they would end up losing money. and If I was the only one in the town to implement such a thing and the others just carry on, they will get all the drivers until someone enforces the rules and that could be sometime never.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:36 pm 

Sussex wrote:
heathcote wrote:
trotskys twin wrote:

Not just private hire operator, Hackney carriage proprietors should also be covering those journeymen driving their cabs.

There is something in the back of my mind which already covers journeyman,it runs along the lines ,if the TAXI is off the road through no fault of his own the proprietor has to pay the journeyman's wages for the period the vehicle is off the road.
Try to find it when I have the time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:16 pm 

by all accounts they aint 40,000 employees today because they're self employed and have other jobs

I hope TFL are taking notes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:56 am 

captain cab wrote:
by all accounts they aint 40,000 employees today because they're self employed and have other jobs

kindly elaborate comrade i dont follow that, whats the implication ??

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:44 pm 

trotskys twin wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Uber are in court saying the drivers are self employed and not employees

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:05 pm 

captain cab wrote:
trotskys twin wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Uber are in court saying the drivers are self employed and not employees

But is that the issue?

Surely it's that those self-employed should have worker's status.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:26 pm 

Sussex wrote:
But is that the issue?

Does it matter, Uber's barrister told the tribunal that the driver accepts the job, uber merely facilitate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:41 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Sussex wrote:
But is that the issue?

Does it matter, Uber's barrister told the tribunal that the driver accepts the job, uber merely facilitate

Dinah Rose lawyer for Uber told the Employment Tribunal that the driver accepts the booking first and then Uber accepts.
Every Council must revoke Ubers PHO license and prosecute every private hire vehicle driver on their circuit for plying for hire,incorrect insurance,operating a private hire operator business without a license,last but not least prosecute Uber as an accomplice encouraging others to break the law.