Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:53 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
isn't London Apped out already ?

Via, an Israeli-founded taxi app that's raised a reported $200 million (£152 million) from the likes of Mercedes-Benz, is ready to launch in London.

The Uber rival has hired a team of people and contacted thousands of drivers about working for the platform.

But the company is struggling to get an operating licence from Transport for London (TfL), which has been busy deciding whether to renew Uber's licence over the last few months. It decided not to renew it on September 22.

Luca Parducci, Via's general manager in London, told Business Insider: "We applied five months ago in April. Usually the application process takes eight weeks maximum. We had no indication that it would take longer than that.

"So we went through the whole process and started recruiting a team, which I'm part of, opened an office, started registering the interest of thousands of drivers that can't wait to work with us," continued Parducci, a former executive at travel booking website HotelTonight.

"In the process with TfL, we've provided additional information on our product, our company, our processes, and basically answers to all the questions that they had. Now we're basically ready to start. We're only missing the approval and licence from TfL."

Via's app is a ride-sharing service that allows people to catch a ride with other people going in the same direction. It's similar in many respects to UberPool, which is the Uber service that allows people to do the same thing.

The app was launched in New York City before expanding to Chicago and Washington D.C. Now the company wants to launch in its first European city.

Via is focused on getting the London licence but the company could start to consider other cities if TfL doesn't start to process its application. The company's website shows that it is looking to hire general mangers in Berlin and Rome.

"It's been frustrating to experience these delays because normally it'll take less time than this and we really can’t wait to bring this service to London," said Parducci.

A TfL spokesperson said: "Our regulation of London's taxi and private hire trades is designed to ensure passenger safety. Private hire operators must meet rigorous regulations, and demonstrate to TfL that they do so, in order to operate. TfL must also be satisfied that an operator is fit and proper to hold a licence. We do not comment on individual licence applications."

Uber said it plans to appeal TfL's decision not to renew its licence and it has started a petition which now has over 850,000 signatures.

Other competitors in London include MyTaxi, Gett, Addison Lee, and the traditional black cab service.

Last week, taxi app Taxify launched in Paris after being banned in London.

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:46 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Via's app is a ride-sharing service that allows people to catch a ride with other people going in the same direction. It's similar in many respects to UberPool, which is the Uber service that allows people to do the same thing.

Think they may struggle getting a PH license for that.

Seems to be a bus.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:56 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Seems to be a bus.

Passengers at separate fares does make it a Bus. I don't know about London, but everywhere else, including Plymouth with the 1975 Act, requires that a large percentage of Hackney proprietors have to request it in writing. It can't happen at all in PH I believe I'm right in saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:01 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Seems to be a bus.

Passengers at separate fares does make it a Bus. I don't know about London, but everywhere else, including Plymouth with the 1975 Act, requires that a large percentage of Hackney proprietors have to request it in writing. It can't happen at all in PH I believe I'm right in saying.

Think you are mixing two different scenarios.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:10 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
It can't happen at all in PH I believe I'm right in saying.

I think it can, but I'm certain TfL do not want to mix punters up separately.

No way can that mode of travel be deemed safe for punters in a car.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:16 pm 

It is in 1986 SI 1386 and 1779.

The vehicle has to be licensed IAW 1847 act. It also defines "Taxi" in the preamble.

The legislation itself is the Transport Act 1985. Para 10. A Local Authority may make a provision and MUST make a provision if 10% of current licence holders request it in writing. Sub Para (4).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:19 pm 

Para 11 Traffic act 1985 says PH can do it so long as the passengers all booked in advance and the scheme is in place.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:22 pm 

PH can't do it in Plymouth with the 1975 Act. In this burg only a Taxi may operate as a "Taxibus" as the enabling legislation did not amend our Act, only the 1976 for the great un-washed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:55 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I think the argument will be along environmental lines of saving journeys and emissions that argument might sway TFL

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:53 am 

Chris the Fish wrote:
Para 11 Traffic act 1985 says PH can do it so long as the passengers all booked in advance and the scheme is in place.

But is it allowed under the 1998 London PH Act?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:54 am 

edders23 wrote:
I think the argument will be along environmental lines of saving journeys and emissions that argument might sway TFL

I think the sexual assault concerns will trump the above.

Just can't see it happening.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:07 am 

Sussex wrote:
Chris the Fish wrote:

Does it not also say it cannot be run by a private hire operator but only individual p/hire proprietor/drivers who apply to do so.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:44 am 

Sussex wrote:
Chris the Fish wrote:

My first post on this thread included "I don't know about London" - I still don't.
Had to deal with a proposal for passengers at separate fares in Plymouth a few years ago so remembered it. (It didn't happen.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:30 pm 

Unsurprisingly PH bus type process isn't mentioned in the 1998 Act.

But thinking about the booking process you would need to operate to stay within the general legislation, I think the practicalities of running that sort of PH service in London are nigh on impossible.