Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:07 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
boston publicity story

A Lincolnshire taxi firm has taken the bold step of introducing a new fleet of hybrid cars as the Government proposes a ban on the sale of all new petrol and diesel cars by 2040.

Acorn Taxis in Boston plan is to continue moving towards an all-hybrid fleet instead of using cars with traditional fossil fuel engines.

The new cars stand out from the existing silver fleet with new distinctive white livery, selected to promote the cleaner benefits of electric power.

Ben Chaplin, Taxi Operator, said: “The cars are better for the environment as they are cleaner and more fuel efficient. They represent a new image for Acorn Taxis and the Boston area.

“Although the hybrid cars are a large investment, lower fuel costs will mean long-term savings. We will continue to purchase new cars to replace the old petrol and diesel fleet.”

The cars are electric and petrol which means they do not produce the emissions like petrol and diesel cars.

Acron Taxis said customers appreciate the fact the new, clean cars with plans to replace the whole fleet of more than 80 cars all with hybrid vehicles.

nice to see journos check their spelling before publishing :badgrin:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:09 am 

Don't Hybrid cars run on petrol to produce the electricity? Ours does.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:00 pm 

edders23 wrote:
boston publicity story

A Lincolnshire taxi firm has taken the bold step of introducing a new fleet of hybrid cars as the Government proposes a ban on the sale of all new petrol and diesel cars by 2040.

Acorn Taxis in Boston plan is to continue moving towards an all-hybrid fleet instead of using cars with traditional fossil fuel engines.

The new cars stand out from the existing silver fleet with new distinctive white livery, selected to promote the cleaner benefits of electric power.

Ben Chaplin, Taxi Operator, said: “The cars are better for the environment as they are cleaner and more fuel efficient. They represent a new image for Acorn Taxis and the Boston area.

“Although the hybrid cars are a large investment, lower fuel costs will mean long-term savings. We will continue to purchase new cars to replace the old petrol and diesel fleet.”

The cars are electric and petrol which means they do not produce the emissions like petrol and diesel cars.

Acron Taxis said customers appreciate the fact the new, clean cars with plans to replace the whole fleet of more than 80 cars all with hybrid vehicles.

nice to see journos check their spelling before publishing :badgrin:

It would appear they have sourced a petrol that does not produce any emissions at all.
Are all drivers at this company P.A.Y.E.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:33 pm 

edders23 wrote:

Ford Mondeo Hybrid does on average 67mpg.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/ford/mondeo/saloon-2014/specs/

Ford Mondeo 1.5 Diesel TDCi does on average 78mpg.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/ford/mondeo/ha ... 014/specs/

Guess which one I bought.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:29 pm 

My Toyota Auris hybrid done 56 mpg on petrol, the Skoda Octivia 1.8 hatch was doing 68mpg on diesel.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:41 pm 

roythebus wrote:
My Toyota Auris hybrid done 56 mpg on petrol, the Skoda Octivia 1.8 hatch was doing 68mpg on diesel.
And yet I do 65mpg in the Auris hybrid and when I had a Mondeo TDci only got 38mpg !

All depends on the type and style of driving, the driver themselves and to some part the terrain.

I spend most of the night sitting outside peoples houses waiting to take them less than a mile, big saving not having the engine idling all that time. Most of the driving is less than 30mph in built up areas having to stop every 50 yds for lights/roundabouts/junctions/speed humps/crossings, so the battery power gets used a lot. The area is relatively flat so once up to speed I can cruise on battery without the engine kicking in. So the hybrid is perfect for me. Now if I lived in a hilly area or spent most of my time on the motorway I'd only be expecting 40-50mpg so a diesel would be the better choice.

On the other hand the day driver only manages 50mpg in the same car, same routes similar speed - but he has a bit of a lead foot and doesn't know how to get the most out of the hybrid system.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:51 pm 

roythebus wrote:
Which is actually only a difference of about 1.5p a mile depending on the price of diesel and petrol, so isn't as bad as it looks really :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:54 pm 

Sussex wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Ford Mondeo Hybrid does on average 67mpg.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/ford/mondeo/saloon-2014/specs/

Ford Mondeo 1.5 Diesel TDCi does on average 78mpg.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/ford/mondeo/ha ... 014/specs/

Guess which one I bought.

the Mercedes?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 am 

roythebus wrote:

Over the last 3 months our Toyota Auris diesel has returned 57 MPG.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:58 pm 

grandad wrote:
roythebus wrote:

Over the last 3 months our Toyota Auris diesel has returned 57 MPG.

On the night shift in my Toyota Auris hybrid I'm getting between 66mpg and 71mpg. In my previous car (Mondeo diesel) I would get between 46 and 50mpg. It does help being in a flat area. No idea what the day driver is getting.