Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:57 am 

Cabbie's despair as council threaten to seize his taxi - for driving in a bus lane

A Hull taxi driver who was told his car would be seized by the council if he did not pay a series of bus lane fines has said they were wrongly imposed on him. Philip Haukvik, 33, who lives in Cottingham, has been bombarded with Hull City Council fines since changing his vehicle in July.

His wife, Rachel, said the couple had “reached the end of their tether” when the letters escalated to threats to take his livelihood away from him if he did not pay the fines. Registered taxi drivers are able to drive in bus lanes during their operational hours. Rachel, 31, said: “Since July, Phil has been arguing with the council about these fines.

“We got the new car in July, and you can expect to get a couple – we had a few with the old car – but they have taken things to the extreme now. “Phil went to see someone at the council, who said they would make sure he was added to the list, but it never materialised. “He has been passed between the council and the licensing team at least six times now…it has become a joke.”

Phil has been a registered private hire driver for Hull Cars for the past four years. He has received as many as 15 bus lane fines since July. On Saturday, he was then told if he did not pay one of the fines he would have to pay £235 to have his vehicle seized. He has received notices for alleged breaches on roads across Hull, including Beverley Road and Holderness Road.

Hull City Council confirmed that Phil had lodged an official appeal against the notices, and that they had subsequently been put on hold. A council spokesperson said: “We first received notice from Mr Haukvik that he wishes to appeal these notices today (October 3) through our call centre. “As a result, all cases have been put on hold, pending him supplying proof of identification as evidence.

“We would urge anyone with reason to believe they have grounds to appeal against a PCN to do so at the earliest opportunity to prevent cases progressing. “Where notices have been issued in error, the appeals process will rectify this.”

Rachel said the ongoing ordeal had also affected her husband’s business. “This is his livelihood, and without this we would not be able to eat. “We have three young children under the age of five. I don’t want the bailiffs at my door, it does not look good for the neighbours when we are stood there arguing with bailiffs, but hopefully it will not get that far.

“Phil has to pay £170 a year to the council for his taxi licence, and then with all the other costs it probably comes to around £250 a year. “I think when you are paying that much just to be a driver, you should get a level of respect between them and the council.”

Hull’s bus lanes are active between 7am and 9.30am for routes heading towards the city centre, and 4pm and 6.30pm for routes heading out of the city. Motorists caught in the lane who are not registered face a fine of up to £60.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:15 pm 

Sussex wrote:

Rachel said the ongoing ordeal had also affected her husband’s business. “This is his livelihood, and without this we would not be able to eat. “We have three young children under the age of five. I don’t want the bailiffs at my door, it does not look good for the neighbours when we are stood there arguing with bailiffs, but hopefully it will not get that far.

How has it affected his business?
It would seem that you have had the bailiffs round before.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:20 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
Cabbie's despair as council threaten to seize his taxi - for driving in a bus lane

A Hull taxi driver who was told his car would be seized by the council if he did not pay a series of bus lane fines has said they were wrongly imposed on him. Philip Haukvik, 33, who lives in Cottingham, has been bombarded with Hull City Council fines since changing his vehicle in July.

His wife, Rachel, said the couple had “reached the end of their tether” when the letters escalated to threats to take his livelihood away from him if he did not pay the fines. Registered taxi drivers are able to drive in bus lanes during their operational hours. Rachel, 31, said: “Since July, Phil has been arguing with the council about these fines.

“We got the new car in July, and you can expect to get a couple – we had a few with the old car – but they have taken things to the extreme now. “Phil went to see someone at the council, who said they would make sure he was added to the list, but it never materialised. “He has been passed between the council and the licensing team at least six times now…it has become a joke.”

Phil has been a registered private hire driver for Hull Cars for the past four years. He has received as many as 15 bus lane fines since July. On Saturday, he was then told if he did not pay one of the fines he would have to pay £235 to have his vehicle seized. He has received notices for alleged breaches on roads across Hull, including Beverley Road and Holderness Road.

Hull City Council confirmed that Phil had lodged an official appeal against the notices, and that they had subsequently been put on hold. A council spokesperson said: “We first received notice from Mr Haukvik that he wishes to appeal these notices today (October 3) through our call centre. “As a result, all cases have been put on hold, pending him supplying proof of identification as evidence.

“We would urge anyone with reason to believe they have grounds to appeal against a PCN to do so at the earliest opportunity to prevent cases progressing. “Where notices have been issued in error, the appeals process will rectify this.”

Phil has to pay £170 a year to the council for his taxi licence, and then with all the other costs it probably comes to around £250 a year. “I think when you are paying that much just to be a driver, you should get a level of respect between them and the council.”

Thats well cheap !!!!!!!

Hull’s bus lanes are active between 7am and 9.30am for routes heading towards the city centre, and 4pm and 6.30pm for routes heading out of the city. Motorists caught in the lane who are not registered face a fine of up to £60.

Appalling journalistic standards again confuse the issue :roll: #-o

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:25 am 

Sussex wrote:

“Phil has to pay £170 a year to the council for his taxi licence, and then with all the other costs it probably comes to around £250 a year. “I think when you are paying that much just to be a driver, you should get a level of respect between them and the council.”

I got away with one a few weeks ago in Nottingham when they accused me of going down a bus and tram lane. I asked them to show me where the tram lines were? A few weeks later they sent me a letter saying they were dropping the fine.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:23 pm 

Sussex wrote:

He is a MUG his union membership if the dope had it would put this to bed quickly as they say "never give a mug an even break" fekk him to&&er :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.u

F88K EM ALL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:15 am 

Private hire cars are not allowed in bus lanes, what's the problem? He's not a taxi driver. Slam dunk.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:56 pm 

roythebus wrote:
Private hire cars are not allowed in bus lanes, what's the problem? He's not a taxi driver. Slam dunk.

Not the case in many areas including Hull.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:50 pm 

roythebus wrote:

Says who?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:57 pm 

roythebus wrote:

They are in Sefton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:54 am 

MR T wrote:
roythebus wrote:

They are in Sefton

AND LONDON :D

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 am 

I thought AddyLee lost their case to run minicabs in bus lanes? :)

Those town that say they allow private hire to use bus lanes, I suggest someone looks at what the traffic regulation orders actually allow. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:39 am 

roythebus wrote:

Those town that say they allow private hire to use bus lanes, I suggest someone looks at what the traffic regulation orders actually allow. :)

Majority of RTO for bus lanes are BUSSES,TAXIS and AUTHORISED VEHICLES which defined includes P.H.V.

The reason the term Authorised Vehicles is used,no regulated signage exists for P.H.V.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:24 pm 

roythebus wrote:

fekk all to do with Addy Lee everything to do with the GMBPDB at the time and their brilliant Branch sec and his political connections :D

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:09 pm 

trotskys twin wrote:
roythebus wrote:

fekk all to do with Addy Lee everything to do with the GMBPDB at the time and their brilliant Branch sec and his political connections :D

National Taxi Association had a big input into vehicles using bus lanes unfortunately we failed to get it passed that every bus lane had to be TAXI and private hire friendly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:15 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
trotskys twin wrote:
MR T wrote:
roythebus wrote:

They are in Sefton

AND LONDON :D

went to london village today saw plenty of buses a few hackneys plenty of motorbikes and parked vans but no PHV's using the bus lanes :-k

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !