Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:52 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Sounds a bit contrived, that one. I mean, it's perfectly acceptable for a firm to advertise in and accept bookings from one area but operate via another area as long as the three licences match? And that's always been the case, even before the Deregulation Act?

So if the app regarded simply as a form of advertising then I can't see the problem.

I'm not sure it is advertising in the truest sense, more an invitation to book.

StuartW wrote:
For what it's worth, can't see how a car invisible to potential hirers could be deemed plying for hire. And even pre-Uber, it's always been acceptable to phone an office and book a PHV that's visible to the passenger? And what about walk up fares to offices with cars sitting outside?

Think this 'virtual plying' is a bit far fetched as well. The app is just a hyper-efficient way of processing a booking. Of course, that's not to say that Uber cars can't be deemed plying for hire, but that's surely down to age old criteria like visibility and context, and nothing to do with the app

I'm not sure the cars can be deemed to be invisible, their location is clear to all.

I also think PH vehicles parked up outside their office could also be viewed as ranking, depending on the situation.

However your general thrust is correct, it all looks a bit woolly.

But it would be nice if Uber, at last, have to explain the fine details of their booking and drivers acceptance procedures to a court.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:00 pm 

Sussex wrote:
StuartW wrote:
Sounds a bit contrived, that one. I mean, it's perfectly acceptable for a firm to advertise in and accept bookings from one area but operate via another area as long as the three licences match? And that's always been the case, even before the Deregulation Act?

So if the app regarded simply as a form of advertising then I can't see the problem.

StuartW wrote:
For what it's worth, can't see how a car invisible to potential hirers could be deemed plying for hire. And even pre-Uber, it's always been acceptable to phone an office and book a PHV that's visible to the passenger? And what about walk up fares to offices with cars sitting outside?

Think this 'virtual plying' is a bit far fetched as well. The app is just a hyper-efficient way of processing a booking. Of course, that's not to say that Uber cars can't be deemed plying for hire, but that's surely down to age old criteria like visibility and context, and nothing to do with the app

I'm not sure the cars can be deemed to be invisible, their location is clear to all.

I also think PH vehicles parked up outside their office could also be viewed as ranking, depending on the situation.

Is there not a court case stating the vehicles outside the premises were plying for hire because it was a private hire operators premises with a sign saying taxis upon it.

But it would be nice if Uber, at last, have to explain the fine details of their booking and drivers acceptance procedures to a court.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:51 pm 

I don't know why you keep copying a post or multi-post without a post of your own Heathcote.

First few times I thought you had just made an error, but you keep doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:16 am 

heathcote wrote:
Sussex wrote:
StuartW wrote:

StuartW wrote:

Is there not a court case stating the vehicles outside the premises were plying for hire because it was a private hire operators premises with a sign saying taxis upon it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:40 am 

heathcote wrote:
Employment Tribunal Appeal (Wednesday 27/09/2017)

Dinah Rose lawyer for Uber informed the Judge that the driver accepts booking first and then Uber accepts.

That is an admission that these vehicles and their drivers are plying for hire,operating a private hire operator business without the appropriate license,incorrect vehicle insurance.

That may impact on the who needs an operator's licence, but not really sure it impacts on the plying for hire dimension.

Maybe a bit like saying that if someone phones a minicab firm and the call goes straight to the driver then the driver is the one needing the operator's licence?

But I can't see how that directly relates to the plying for hire question.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:48 am 

Sussex wrote:
StuartW wrote:

However it's defined, I can't really see a whole lot of difference between booking via the app or using a laptop at home to look on a website for a phone number. Or, midway between those two scenarios, to use a smartphone on the street to search for a phone number then get the phone to dial it automatically. So if the contact is being handled by an operator in a different area then to me it just looks like a more automated and efficient way of conducting the booking. So if the three licences still match...

Sussex wrote:
StuartW wrote:

To clarify, what I'm getting at is that if a punter can't even see a vehicle then I can't see how it can be deemed plying for hire, and I can't see how what's visible to the punter on an app changes that scenario - the car could be miles away, or it could be directly in front of the punter.

Of course, depending on the circumstances if the car is close to the punter then it could be deemed plying for hire in certain circumstances, but on legal principles established years ago, and nothing to do with the app. But I'm pretty sure the vehicle would need to be physically visible to the punter before the plying for hire question could even become an issue.

By the same token, when the prostitute made her solicitation "projected to and addressed to somebody walking in the street" the fact that she was in a window rather than actually on the street was irrelevant. But if she'd been hidden from view behind the window then there wouldn't have been a problem.

But the virtual plying for hire argument is effectively saying that if you can find a prostitute on an app then even though she's invisible but nearby then she's soliciting by projecting and addressing to the person nearby with the smartphone. Can't really see that if she's still invisible to the punter, and by the same token I can't really see a vehicle physically invisible to the punter being deemed plying for hire to that punter, and the app changes nothing.

Sussex wrote:

Indeed, and it all depends on the scenario, but again I can't see how an app on a smartphone could impact on that.

Sussex wrote:

Yes, of course a major problem is that the law is based on more traditional methods of booking, and no one can dispute that the app blurs some of the lines that were more clear cut when the technology was less advanced.

Of course, to the extent that it's all less clear cut then a degree of interpretation and "judicial activism" might be expected when any cases reach the courts, so who knows what the outcome might be.

Didn't pay much attention to the whole Law Commission thing, but seems to me they body swerved the difficult questions, or simply botched them?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:30 am 

What is pleasing though is the fact this matter is coming to court.

I wonder if that would have been the case if some of the individuals charged hadn’t pleaded guilty.

That has left Reading with no real option other than to pursue the outstanding matters through the courts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:37 am 

The issue with uber is that by being ''visible'' their vehicles have been judged to be plying for hire.
This will now be tested in court for a ruling.
More importantly...The uber user sees the vehicle on the app and pings a driver (more than one can be seen at a time)...The ''driver'' then has to accept the ping ...Uber then kicks in and the booking is then logged in their system.
Note...uber don't get involved with the ''booking'' till the driver has accepted the fare...this effectively means that it is the ''driver'' who is taking the booking not uber....This definitely makes it illegal since the ph driver does not hold an operating licence.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:40 pm 

Interesting article from a lecturer in employment law. She thinks Uber will lose, but she also alludes to the discussion we were having re contract with the driver or operator etc.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/a-f ... -1-8819517

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:56 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I'm grateful for the person who pointed me in the right direction.

It appears these are the questions Uber choose not to answer, or possibly didn't answer sufficiently.

http://my.northtyneside.gov.uk/sites/de ... 708054.pdf

Because of the way the FoI was sent in the questions don't flow, and some questions might appear out of date, but generally these are good questions, and they are the type of questions that all councils should be asking Uber, both for initial applications and renewals.

I copied the original FOI request to my LA, but as a general enquiry.

The response was:

Uber applied and were granted a licence in exactly the same way as other private hire operators.

The Council did not exercise its right to ask Uber questions not asked of other operators.

When asked what questions were asked of other PHOs, I was referred to the application form. :roll: