Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:09 pm 

Uber driver fined for illegally plying for trade in York

A taxi driver, who was working for Uber, has been found to have illegally plied for trade in York and has been ordered to pay a total £1,404 . He was also given six points on his driving licence. In August 2017 as part of a joint enforcement operation, City of York Council officers and North Yorkshire Police were carrying out routine checks of taxis and private hire vehicles in York city centre.

Sohail Ahmed, aged 45 of Wensleydale Road, Bradford, was stopped on Holgate Road, while driving a Hackney carriage licensed by Rossendale Borough Council. At the time, Mr Ahmed had two passengers on board.

After making enquiries with the licensing authority Rossendale BC and the operator Uber, the journey was found not to have been pre-booked. As a hackney carriage operating outside of his home licensed area, Mr Ahmed could only take pre-booked private hire work. The passengers had not booked this journey nor was any booking made through the driver’s operator Uber.

Mr Ahmed’s insurance was also found to only cover pre-booked journeys, so taking passengers without a booking invalidated his insurance.

In his absence, York Magistrates’ Court found Mr Ahmed guilty of plying for hire and issued a fine of £200, plus driving with no insurance for which he was fined £660 and given six penalty points on his driver’s licence. In addition, he was ordered to pay a court surcharge of £66 and prosecution costs of £478.20.

Cllr Sam Lisle, executive member for housing and safer communities, said: “Driving without insurance and flouting licensing regulations does not build customer confidence in the trade. We enforce standards and, where appropriate, prosecute breaches of the law governing taxis.”

To report concerns about taxis in York, please email public.protection@york.gov.uk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:11 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Mr Ahmed’s insurance was also found to only cover pre-booked journeys, so taking passengers without a booking invalidated his insurance.

Doesn't that go against the 'Insurance covers you wherever you work' rule? :-k

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:23 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Doesn't that go against the 'Insurance covers you wherever you work' rule? :-k

Yes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:03 pm 

How have Rossendale licenced a hackney with insurance cover for pre bookings only?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:36 am 

Tom Thumb wrote:
How have Rossendale licenced a hackney with insurance cover for pre bookings only?

Investigation warranted into the licensing function and its Officers at Rossendale Council,a TAXI(hackney carriage)must have PUBLIC HIRE insurance to be licensed.
Is this another case of brown envelopes blowing in the wind being caught by individuals.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:38 pm 

Tom Thumb wrote:

Interesting question.

Hardly unusual for hackneys *not* to do public hire work, so could they be legitimately insured for private hire work only?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:55 pm 

Do Uber take hackney carriages?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:56 pm 

mancityfan wrote:

Think they did in London, for a while at least, but don't think there were many takers.

Think they *say* that they only take private hire elsewhere, but whether that's a hard or fast rule I'm not sure. Suspect that's based on a London-style view of the trade where there's a distinct difference between the two sectors, but of course elsewhere it's often not so clear cut and there's not a lot of difference between the two. And in many small towns etc there's very few PH, so to get a foothold they'd have to recruit hackneys, but on the other hand Uber has not really targeting the less urban areas.

Of course, surge pricing would be a problem if Uber used hackneys in their own area. If I remember correctly Uber's website said in London that the metered fares would be charged if anyone ordered a black cab, but they marketed it as a distinct service (so no surge pricing and no cheap fares) which might not be so feasible elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:15 pm 

Uber have hack and P/H on in Sefton.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:21 pm 

MR T wrote:

I might sign up then, I’m off to Brighton in a few weeks, and I have heard there’s rich pickings down there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:25 pm 

mancityfan wrote:
MR T wrote:

I might sign up then, I’m off to Brighton in a few weeks, and I have heard there’s rich pickings down there.

Will you be taking your Vesta.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:57 pm 

MR T wrote:
mancityfan wrote:
MR T wrote:

Will you be taking your Vesta.

No that was more Stings thing, I had a lambretta.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:19 pm 

mancityfan wrote:

They do in Lewes.

Questions have been asked to the Lewes HCO about how the surge adheres to the council's set taxi tariff.

Waiting for answers on that one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:17 pm 

Sussex wrote:
mancityfan wrote:

They do in Lewes.

Questions have been asked to the Lewes HCO about how the surge adheres to the council's set taxi tariff.

Waiting for answers on that one.

Simple solution for the punter if surge pricing is in operation - when they see their Uber HC approaching, just stick their arm out :D