Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:58 am 

edders23 wrote:
heathcote wrote:
edders23 wrote:
the point is this happens in every town and city in the land on a daily basis and i'm sure you ALL also have colleagues that do it.

The answer is not to cut off your nose to spite your face but to educate people to understand it is no longer acceptable to do it something I do try and do

There is only one driver round here that allows passengers to smoke in the car (one of spaceshuttle 1's not one of mine) that I would consider grounds for terminating their contract but if you are suggesting I am not fit and proper then EVERY company owner in the UK is probably the same as I doubt there are many if any firms that don't have at least one driver that smokes in their car. Putting them out of work is NOT the answer educating them is

Well why do you not educate him or are you just like the majority of operators, only interested in the £s he pays you.

I am and we have got one of the drivers to attempt to give up the other does normally get out of the vehicle to smoke but if it's their own vehicle they are smoking in you can hardly take it off them whereas Pete owns his vehicles and therefore can enforce no smoking rules

Wonder how many “Pete’s” there are working in Stamford?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:33 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
jimbo wrote:
edders23 wrote:
heathcote wrote:
edders23 wrote:
the point is this happens in every town and city in the land on a daily basis and i'm sure you ALL also have colleagues that do it.

The answer is not to cut off your nose to spite your face but to educate people to understand it is no longer acceptable to do it something I do try and do

There is only one driver round here that allows passengers to smoke in the car (one of spaceshuttle 1's not one of mine) that I would consider grounds for terminating their contract but if you are suggesting I am not fit and proper then EVERY company owner in the UK is probably the same as I doubt there are many if any firms that don't have at least one driver that smokes in their car. Putting them out of work is NOT the answer educating them is

Well why do you not educate him or are you just like the majority of operators, only interested in the £s he pays you.

I am and we have got one of the drivers to attempt to give up the other does normally get out of the vehicle to smoke but if it's their own vehicle they are smoking in you can hardly take it off them whereas Pete owns his vehicles and therefore can enforce no smoking rules

Wonder how many “Pete’s” there are working in Stamford?

none as per usual Jimbo you didn't read the whole thread :roll:

by the way today i was sat on the rank and the boss of a rival firm pulled up to drop a passenger off BOTH had a lit cigarette in their mouths ! Many smokers don't see it as a criminal act it is an education thing

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:54 pm 

Why are the none smoking customers complaining to the Council? I am damn sure they would around here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:51 pm 

grandad wrote:
Why are the none smoking customers complaining to the Council? I am damn sure they would around here.

Most punters aren't aware they can complain to the council, they instead complain to the firms.

And in most cases that's where it ends.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:03 pm 

Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

Most punters aren't aware they can complain to the council, they instead complain to the firms.

And in (most) ALL cases that's where it ends.

I have only once ever known a customer to go as far as complaining to the council which is why the LO's tell us there are no problems because they get no complaints :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:48 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

And in (most) ALL cases that's where it ends.

I have only once ever known a customer to go as far as complaining to the council which is why the LO's tell us there are no problems because they get no complaints :wink:

Complaints against taxis and drivers are dealt with by the Council,private hire complaints are always referred to the operator,Council does not have control of private hire vehicles,operator has total responsibility for everything.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:34 am 

heathcote wrote:

,Council does not have control of private hire vehicles,operator has total responsibility for everything.

I don't think that is correct.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:00 pm 

grandad wrote:
heathcote wrote:

,Council does not have control of private hire vehicles,operator has total responsibility for everything.

I know it's not correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:54 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
grandad wrote:
heathcote wrote:

I know it's not correct.

PH vehicles, drivers and operators all come under the same regulatory requirements as hacks and hack drivers.

The only possible issue that effects hacks that doesn't effect PH is if a driver overcharges.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:07 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Chris the Fish wrote:
grandad wrote:
heathcote wrote:

I know it's not correct.

PH vehicles, drivers and operators all come under the same regulatory requirements as hacks and hack drivers.

The only possible issue that effects hacks that doesn't effect PH is if a driver overcharges.

Agree regulatory requirements are Council responsibility,but control of the driver and vehicle supplied by a private hire operator is the operators responsibility who can and in some cases be prosecuted for misdemeanours carried out by the driver.(knowingly allowing a driver to smoke in workplace could possibly be one,encouraging a driver to exceed the speed limit could be another.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:46 pm 

I also think a hack proprietor has a duty to ensure any drivers of his cab act accordingly.

In fact they have to keep hold of their driver's license.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:09 pm 

heathcote wrote:
Agree regulatory requirements are Council responsibility,but control of the driver and vehicle supplied by a private hire operator is the operators responsibility who can and in some cases be prosecuted for misdemeanours carried out by the driver.(knowingly allowing a driver to smoke in workplace could possibly be one,encouraging a driver to exceed the speed limit could be another.)

To what degree a PH operator or PH/HC vehicle proprietor is responsible for the fitness of the driver and their conduct is an interesting legal question, particularly as it's directly relevant to the Uber 'fit and proper' dispute.

But to say licensing authorities have no responsibility at all is clearly wrong - earlier you said:

"Council does not have control of private hire vehicles, operator has total responsibility for everything."

Parallels with the self-employment question as well. :-k

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:13 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I also think a hack proprietor has a duty to ensure any drivers of his cab act accordingly.

Qh no no no no no......No

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:56 am 

MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Is the right answer

we have to SEE the license (paper bit) but there is no requirement to retain it and the badge has to remain with the driver and be on display whilst working

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:47 am 

edders23 wrote:
MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Is the right answer

we have to SEE the license (paper bit) but there is no requirement to retain it and the badge has to remain with the driver and be on display whilst working

Oh but there is,Section 48,TPC Act 1847 makes it abundantly clear that a proprietor has to retain possession of the paper license and by not doing so commits a criminal offence.