Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:44 am 
Emission Strategy for London Taxis

Metrocabs

PCO Notice 09/05, published on 15 March 2005, announced the timetable for implementing the Mayor’s emission strategy for licensed London taxis. In support of that strategy, trials and independent assessment by the Energy Saving Trust of various emission reduction technologies have been in progress for the past few months with the assistance of some large London taxi fleet operators. These trials have been assessing, under normal taxi working conditions, the ability of the various systems to reduce (and maintain) taxi emissions to the required Euro 3 standard when fitted to different models of licensed London taxi, and their durability in service.

Metrocabs

Emission technology providers have developed viable solutions for the greater proportion of the current London fleet, namely LTI Fairway and TXI vehicles, and it is expected that the owners of such vehicles will have several options available to them in order that they can comply with the Mayor’s strategy. Solutions for Metrocabs have not yet been adequately tested or approved in time for the commencement of Phase 1 of the strategy. A revised timetable for Metrocabs only has, therefore, been agreed.

As of 1 July 2007 any Metrocab taxi that is of a Pre-Euro, Euro 1 or Euro 2 standard will, when presented for their annual licensing inspection, be required to have either PCO/EST approved emissions reduction equipment fitted or an approved conversion to run on alternative fuels as a requirement of licensing. It is expected that Metrocab owners will have a choice of technology available to them by this time.

The effect of this revision is to defer by 12 months the requirement that pre-Euro and Euro 1 Metrocabs are Euro 3 compliant.

As systems will be available for LTI vehicles there is no change to the timetable previously published in respect of Fairways and TX1s. All taxis, whether manufactured by LTI or Metrocab, will still be required to be Euro 3 compliant by July 2008.

Proprietors are advised not to expect any further revisions to the timetable for implementing the emissions strategy for which drivers have been receiving a 20p fare supplement per journey since April 2005.

Emissions Technology Fair
Supporting the Mayor’s
Emission Strategy for London Taxis

Saturday 25th, Sunday 26th and Monday 27th March
10am to 4pm each day
in the Vehicle Inspection Area of the
Public Carriage Office
15 Penton Street
London N1 9PU

• Displays of available technologies
• Information to help proprietors comply with the strategy

The PCO inspection area will be given over to displays by manufacturers, suppliers and dealers of equipment that is available, or is likely to become available, to those needing to comply with the emissions strategy.

PCO Senior Technical Managers will be available each day to discuss and give further information about the strategy and licensing matters.

Energy Saving Trust representative (subject to availability) will also be available to discuss technical issues relating to the equipment trials.

Don’t rely on hearsay and rumour – come along and find out the detail of what options are available, equipment specifications, finance packages, maintenance agreements, warranties, installation arrangements

• Free parking in the PCO yard

There will be no taxi inspections available on Monday 27th March

It is not possible at this stage to state which exhibitors will be present but it is hoped that at least five products will be on display. The PCO will announce the full list of exhibitors prior to the event. All cab owners are urged to attend the event so that they may be properly informed as regards the options available to them.

As Euro 3 compliant products are approved for fitment to licensed London taxis an announcement will be made by means of PCO Notice. Any further information that may assist cab owners in meeting the requirements of the emissions strategy will be similarly announced at the earliest opportunity.

21 February 2006 Roy Ellis
Head of the Public Carriage Office

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:14 pm 

tm wrote:
Solutions for Metrocabs have not yet been adequately tested or approved in time for the commencement of Phase 1 of the strategy. A revised timetable for Metrocabs only has, therefore, been agreed.

So the PCO stop anyone else entering the market by having a stupid turning circle requirement, and now they are finding out that LTI's only competition wont meet their emmisions timetable.

LTI must be p***ing themselves laughing. [-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:31 pm 

Look Left... (my Avitar) So am I :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:40 pm 

McDeHack wrote:

Every cloud.......... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:40 am 

McDeHack wrote:

Hmmm... might just flog my metro, and buy a breadvan with a park bench in the back.. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:12 pm 

jimbo wrote:
Hmmm... might just flog my metro, and buy a breadvan with a park bench in the back.. :wink: :lol: :lol:

I thought in Lincoln a park bench was an up-market property. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:12 am 

McDeHack wrote:

Yep, you were lucky on that climb down Mac, although I still think ours (LTI) will be postponed for another year, they've only been testing for a few months, with ONE system gaining the essential EST approval.

My TX is now addicted to the 'Ubibee power pills', tip top, highly recomended, and up to Euro 4 instantly.

But thats too straight forward for the GLA. :roll: